2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

It looks worse with the wordmark spelled out. The logo is far too crowded.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was a poor design and a product of the 90's, it wouldn't have lasted until 2007. The poor design is the uninspired garbage they use for an alternate right now... How original it was to replace "Rangers" with "New York" and add vintage white :rolleyes:. And those northwestern stripes... mind blowing!

Well it is telling they opted not to bring it back after the one year hold on alternate sweaters. Especially when you consider that the Lady Liberty sweater design wasn't that complex and could have easily been fitted onto the new (at the time) Edge cut.

I'm not saying that makes it a bad design. Just that it's clearly something the Rangers wanted to get away from in favour of playing up the "Original Six"/"Old Tyme Iced Hockey" aspect of their identity.

I don't think it sold terribly well, at least not past the initial rush (if there was one). I see a ton of Rangers stuff on the streets; regular, current third, Stadium Series, everything, but I can't remember seeing any Lady Liberty in a very long time. Going back to the early 2000s when I lived a few blocks from MSG.

Not that any of it means good design or bad.

The logo was used on their practice uniforms long after the edge introduction. I know that doesn't mean much but it shows they don't hate the logo. I think the reason it wasn't adapted after the edge changeover is not because they were trying to get away from it, but because they wanted to jump on the vintage bandwagon. When the current alternate was unveiled, there were an obscene amount of vintage uniforms being unveiled, all leaning on the crutch of vintage white.

If it was a poor design and a product of the 90's, it wouldn't have lasted until 2007. The poor design is the uninspired garbage they use for an alternate right now... How original it was to replace "Rangers" with "New York" and add vintage white :rolleyes:. And those northwestern stripes... mind blowing!

Are you kidding me? Their alternate is one of the nicest jerseys in the NHL. It is the cherry on the cake, for what is a truly classic set of jerseys.

Are you kidding me? Their alternate is one of the nicest jerseys in the NHL. It is the cherry on the cake, for what is a truly classic set of jerseys.

Cherry on the cake? It's the same damn jersey... They replaced "Rangers" with "New York," replaced blue with navy, and jumped on the vintage white bandwagon. Not terribly original or attractive IMO.

I gotta disagree the lady liberty is one of the best alts ever. It didn't just take what they wear now and make minor tweaks to it like their current uninspiring alt, it was something completely different, and it worked well with their regular set. Besides who the hell needs a vintage alt uniform if their current set is pretty much what they've worn since the 30's. If you're gonna put out an alt make it different and do it right, they had it right.

I kinda feel that having an ultra modern alternate logo and jersey clashes a bit too much with their classic primary home and roads. The Rangers are an Original 6 team. The Lady Liberties were an interesting twist on what a NY Rangers franchise established in the 90s would look like. It was a fun turn-ahead-the-clock experimental concept. But since the Rangers are a classic team, it feels more convinient to promote yerselves with a classic logo. Teams focus a lot more on what and how to promote themselves today than they did in the 90s.

I kinda feel that having an ultra modern alternate logo and jersey clashes a bit too much with their classic primary home and roads. The Rangers are an Original 6 team. The Lady Liberties were an interesting twist on what a NY Rangers franchise established in the 90s would look like. It was a fun turn-ahead-the-clock experimental concept. But since the Rangers are a classic team, it feels more convinient to promote yerselves with a classic logo. Teams focus a lot more on what and how to promote themselves today than they did in the 90s.

Why can't we have both? Lady Liberty and a classic sweater...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Precisely why alternate uniforms are such a bore in 2015...

Precisely why alternate uniforms are such a bore in 2015...

With what is coming up in the NBA and NFL right now, that's a good thing. I don't want to see too much craziness. The Islanders' Brooklyn jersey is bad enough.

I once read that the Rangers paid a fine every time they wore the Lady Liberty jerseys. I never could find out why.

Has anyone else heard this?

You mean a fee, right?

I haven't researched. But IMO, it probably costs a few royalties to use the Statue of Liberty as part of your brand. I can't imagine it being something else.

Archived