2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

don't we have enough red teams already?

9 red-first teams, 5 black-first teams, 9 blue-first teams.

And I didn't include Arizona or Colorado in that list, and I'm sure some would include at least one of those

Ottawa will put that balance up to 10 red, clearly in the lead. Do we really need that?

Nevermind, I was looking at those old thirds and suggestions for reusing their original jerseys and for whatever reason I had Ottawa in black again. My bad.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right, I saw that old third and was thinking about their originals and got mixed up.

Still too many red teams...barberpole or it's crap!

Just because barber pole was acceptable in the 20's, when there were only a handful of other teams, and every team had just one uniform, doesn't mean it would work well now. Whether they go with black or red doesn't matter as long as the uniform is well designed. The inaugural look and its variations made black work but I'm willing to bet the designs would be equally effective in red. Opposite goes for the previously posted, alternate from 2001.

The Ottawa 67s make the barberpole work.

And enough with the Roman theme. It's tenuous at best.

I wouldn't want them to just copy the local junior team. The "barberpole" on the Heritage jerseys suffice.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

cRtgAnx.jpg

Off to an OK start...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Ottawa 67s make the barberpole work.

And enough with the Roman theme. It's tenuous at best.

What's tenuous is putting a 'Times New Roman 'O' on two stripes and calling it a logo... What the 67's use is just as bad. This bizarre fetishization of generic letters on barber pole stripes, just because everything retro has magically become good, is confounding. Theres no good way to depict a "Senator" literally which is why the roman theme is necessary for an interesting and dynamic mark. They already have the perfect logo in their arsenal anyways.

XxEe7xC.png

But that O logo wasn't made up out of thin air.

Senators7.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Ottawa hockey has always had the barber pole. It's always been there in one form or another. When I did my alternate history, I tried to figure out when the old Senators would have dropped it, if they survived...and I really don't think they would have...it just would've been moved around.

As seen here: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/73848-what-if-the-original-senators-never-folded/

Something in this vein would be fantastic and make everyone happy:

OttawaSenators1984-91.jpg?t=1276632525

Or you could go more modern and make everyone really really happy and do this:

Ottawa%20barber%20pole%20set_zpsaabiiqss

I still echo the Sens fans I talked to when the edge switchover happened: If the Senators are wearing anything but barberpole, it's crap.

cRtgAnx.jpg

Off to an OK start...

The Wings logo on the shoulder is new. The current logo has red feathers with white outlines and the top of the wheel is white, as are the upper edges of the wings. The inverted version (white feathers, red outlines, red-topped wheel, red-edged wings) was retired in the early 80s. Take a close look at the stadium series version. It has white feathers with red outlines, but retains the white-topped wheel and white wing edges of the current logo. Interesting.

As for the Sens, this would be perfect:

I still echo the Sens fans I talked to when the edge switchover happened: If the Senators are wearing anything but barberpole, it's crap.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

This brings up the problem I have with the Senators' Roman logos on the barberpole template. Namely, the gold/laurel leaf pattern sticks out like a sore thumb. If the Sens went towards a barberpole design, the Roman logos would either have to shed the gold, or the barberpole would have to incorporate gold. Ultimately, a logo based around the "O" (either a basic "O" or the Peace Tower "O" logo hockey week made) should be paired with the barberpole.

While I like the Roman theme (and the old black third), I admit that using it as the basis of the team's identity was one long mistake that the team only began to rectify after the Edge disaster. Once they eliminated the one good Roman uniform and removed the updated 2D logo, a lot of the reason for sticking with it went away. Unless a design based on the old black third came out and looked fantastic, barberpole is the way to go.

cRtgAnx.jpg

Off to an OK start...

The Wings logo on the shoulder is new. The current logo has red feathers with white outlines and the top of the wheel is white, as are the upper edges of the wings. The inverted version (white feathers, red outlines, red-topped wheel, red-edged wings) was retired in the early 80s. Take a close look at the stadium series version. It has white feathers with red outlines, but retains the white-topped wheel and white wing edges of the current logo. Interesting.

I don't know... I still see red feathers. I think the camera blur is throwing you off.

This brings up the problem I have with the Senators' Roman logos on the barberpole template. Namely, the gold/laurel leaf pattern sticks out like a sore thumb. If the Sens went towards a barberpole design, the Roman logos would either have to shed the gold, or the barberpole would have to incorporate gold. Ultimately, a logo based around the "O" (either a basic "O" or the Peace Tower "O" logo hockey week made) should be paired with the barberpole.

While I like the Roman theme (and the old black third), I admit that using it as the basis of the team's identity was one long mistake that the team only began to rectify after the Edge disaster. Once they eliminated the one good Roman uniform and removed the updated 2D logo, a lot of the reason for sticking with it went away. Unless a design based on the old black third came out and looked fantastic, barberpole is the way to go.

Idk, you can have colors in logos that don't appear in the jersey. The Blackhawks prove that point with what feels like a few dozen colors.

But I've thought of including a gold outline on the numbers to tie it together. That should be enough to tie it all together. However, the point is there, best possible logo on best possible jerseys

Archived