2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could not be more surprised to see these reactions. The Panthers logo is one of my least favorite in the league. It's not horrible, but it's absolutely a product of the 90's. It's overly detailed, has boxy shapes, and poor color balance. An updated version would go a long way.

It should look like a product of the 90's, they're a team of the 90's... Watch them come out with some two tone, fauxback, garbage, featuring a claw in a roundel.

I could not be more surprised to see these reactions. The Panthers logo is one of my least favorite in the league. It's not horrible, but it's absolutely a product of the 90's. It's overly detailed, has boxy shapes, and poor color balance. An updated version would go a long way.

It should look like a product of the 90's, they're a team of the 90's... Watch them come out with some two tone, fauxback, garbage, featuring a claw in a roundel.

From what I've been told, new #FlaPanthers jersey could have circular logo on front of horizontal stripe jersey; cross between Chicago/Habs -@GeorgeRichards

Well, you're not that far off...

Also, Solar Bears anyone? Roundel with chest stripe?

File_000.jpeg?resize=800%2C445

Wow, I was being completely facetious... It's sad that uniform design has become so predictable and utterly void of creativity that you can predict what a team will adopt as soon as the announcement is made. How great it is that another 90's, expansion team gets to play 'original six dress-up' for no other reason than bandwagoning on a fad that should have died 5 plus years ago...

Just because they were established in the 90's, doesn't mean that they have to still look like they're in the 90's. I do agree with you that a fauxback/roundel sort of logo would be the wrong move for them, but I still think that the logo could use a freshening-up. IMO, Nash's updated logo hits the nail right on the head. Still keeps the same idea, but it's way cleaner.

So they're ripping off the Senators heritage jerseys because they want a look similar to the Orlando Solar Bears. Most likely to attract their fanbase, which is larger than the Panthers fanbase. But it's no surprise they have to stoop to this level because we know about their attendance issues they have for years now.

The colors red and navy most likely remain. But what about yellow, gold?? My guess is their previous roundel alternate on recolored Sens heritage jersey. They're not gonna spend alot of money on a real rebrand.

Wow, I was being completely facetious... It's sad that uniform design has become so predictable and utterly void of creativity that you can predict what a team will adopt as soon as the announcement is made. How great it is that another 90's, expansion team gets to play 'original six dress-up' for no other reason than bandwagoning on a fad that should have died 5 plus years ago...

Normally, me being a more of a traditionalist than not, I'd give a team going that route a chance (because to be honest...I actually really like those Solar Bears sweaters). But in this case, I agree with you. I'm not very keen on the idea of Florida fauxbackish sweaters. Every way I imagine it in my head just doesn't come out looking right, and is certainly inferior to the original set.

If it does happen, we'll just have to see how it turns out I suppose. But I'm with you on this one. I just don't envision Florida as the kind of team to pull it off.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

C'mon Florida, not that hard.

4qdkI63.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Just because they were established in the 90's, doesn't mean that they have to still look like they're in the 90's. I do agree with you that a fauxback/roundel sort of logo would be the wrong move for them, but I still think that the logo could use a freshening-up. IMO, Nash's updated logo hits the nail right on the head. Still keeps the same idea, but it's way cleaner.

Yet since Reebok un-did every attractive innovation from 1992 to 2007, in one fell swoop, every team now has to like they're from 1900's...

The panthers have the perfect look already, it came out in 1994 and coincided with their only success. I really don't understand why this is rocket science. The logo's lasted 21 years and I've yet to see a concept to improve upon it.

How are Colorado's 3rd jerseys in person or on high def tv? On mine, it looks like one big black uniform with white shoulders and stripes. They look bad.

It looks better than I thought it would. The shoulders are way too wide, and the flag patch irks me, though. I'd like it better with burgundy outlines on the numbers and burgundy pants.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I've been thinking, the only way I can imagine a roundel even semi-working for Florida is if they put the existing full-bodied Panther (or a smoothed out version) within it. Even at that, though, I think it'd still be inferior to the Panther standalone.

If they try just the Panther's head or a paw within it, though, it's going to be too static and won't work at all. At least the full bodied leaping Panther within the roundel would convey a sense of motion to it, as if the Panther is about to leap through it.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The whole "they're a 90s team, they should look like a 90s team" argument is REALLY starting to wear thin.

You saw it in the Diamondbacks discussion. That team's new look is atrocious. Yet you have people going "well they're from the 90s they should be able to do that." They seem to have either ignored or missed the point about the new D-backs look sucking. Yet to a segment of people here? That suckitude is ok because 90s! Never mind the fact that there's nothing particularly 90s about the new D-backs set, or the fact that they actually did look good once upon a time embracing a truly 90s colour scheme. Nope. Bad uniforms are ok because 90s.

That doesn't even get into the bigger problem I see with this argument. That it's used to either justify or tear down bad or good looks, even when the "90s!" thing isn't even in play.

Take the Dallas Stars. This team, perhaps more then any other in the NHL, fully embraces its pre-relocation past. The team and the fans take pride in the Minnesota North Stars' legacy. This is a team founded in 1967. One of the "Next Six." And yet you have people who pull the "Original Six dress-up!" card when we talk about their new, traditionally styled, uniforms. People who actually say with a straight face that this is a team that should be pushing the envelope.

Despite the team being founded in the 1960s. Wrap your heard around that one.

It just gives the whole "they should wear crazy stuff because they're from the 90s!" argument a disingenuous vibe. Like it's used by people who are just committed to disliking traditional, restrained design. As a justification to slowly insist that most teams should be wearing gaudy clownsuits because "evolution," "pushing the envelope," "innovation," or any other term they picked up from a Nike unveiling.

Look. I was born in '87. I was the target demo when a lot of these quintessentially 90s looks were designed. I was there man :P

And a lot were really good. Like the Florida Panthers' original set.

A lot were really, really bad.

Ultimately? The 1990s were nothing special in the grand scheme of things. The decade produced some good looks, some bad looks. Like any other decade. Just a bit louder. All in all though? It's not some magical decade that bestowed a "Licence to Look Terrible" to teams founded during the era. The good identities from the decade should be kept or brought back not because "it was the 90s!" but simply because they were good designs. Just like "it was the 90s!" should be no excuse to cling to bad, dated, nonsense.

I'm only going to continue using the term "Original Six dress-up" out of a stubborn recognition that I'm using the term properly. Otherwise? I'd be inclined to discard it along with the "Utah should let New Orleans be the Jazz" comments as stuff that probably should result in an instant ban ( :upside: )

It applies to teams like Carolina and Tampa because they're actively aping the looks of Original Six teams. The Stars don't qualify because no Original Six team wears green. And no Original Six team wears red, blue, and gold either. So I'm having trouble seeing how any Florida Panthers design that uses the team's traditional colours could qualify as "Original Six dress-up." Unless you're just committed to abusing the term and using it to trash anything that could be seen as restrained or traditional.

I mean we haven't even seen these new Panthers uniforms and people are already declaring them to be terrible, or declaring that they're fauxbacks. They could be both of those things. They could minimize the gold to the point that it's basically a Montreal Canadiens clone. They could break out ALL OF THE ROUNDELS. It very well could be a legitimate case of Original Six dress-up.

It just seems silly to be declaring this new look to be all of these things before we've even seen it.

With respect to the Adidas thing, Buffalo came out a year ahead of the edge jerseys. They definitely piloted the edge look with the buffaslug, that jersey design was very unique and set the trend. That design exploded with sales and definitely gave Reebok the big thumbs up it was looking for (But those numbers were super-skewed because it's 1. The Sabres, 2. Buffalo fans are insane, 3. They gave Sabres fans blue and gold back. It would've sold millions if it were covered in feces...and it practically was)

father_of_the_buffaslug_meet_the_man_whoBuffalo-Sabres-White-Jersey-2007-2010.jp

I wouldn't doubt that Florida is going to be the pilot program for the Adidas look.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The whole "they're a 90s team, they should look like a 90s team" argument is REALLY starting to wear thin.

You saw it in the Diamondbacks discussion. That team's new look is atrocious. Yet you have people going "well they're from the 90s they should be able to do that." They seem to have either ignored or missed the point about the new D-backs look sucking. Yet to a segment of people here? That suckitude is ok because 90s! Never mind the fact that there's nothing particularly 90s about the new D-backs set, or the fact that they actually did look good once upon a time embracing a truly 90s colour scheme. Nope. Bad uniforms are ok because 90s.

That doesn't even get into the bigger problem I see with this argument. That it's used to either justify or tear down bad or good looks, even when the "90s!" thing isn't even in play.

Take the Dallas Stars. This team, perhaps more then any other in the NHL, fully embraces its pre-relocation past. The team and the fans take pride in the Minnesota North Stars' legacy. This is a team founded in 1967. One of the "Next Six." And yet you have people who pull the "Original Six dress-up!" card when we talk about their new, traditionally styled, uniforms. People who actually say with a straight face that this is a team that should be pushing the envelope.

Despite the team being founded in the 1960s. Wrap your heard around that one.

It just gives the whole "they should wear crazy stuff because they're from the 90s!" argument a disingenuous vibe. Like it's used by people who are just committed to disliking traditional, restrained design. As a justification to slowly insist that most teams should be wearing gaudy clownsuits because "evolution," "pushing the envelope," "innovation," or any other term they picked up from a Nike unveiling.

Look. I was born in '87. I was the target demo when a lot of these quintessentially 90s looks were designed. I was there man :P

And a lot were really good. Like the Florida Panthers' original set.

A lot were really, really bad.

Ultimately? The 1990s were nothing special in the grand scheme of things. The decade produced some good looks, some bad looks. Like any other decade. Just a bit louder. All in all though? It's not some magical decade that bestowed a "Licence to Look Terrible" to teams founded during the era. The good identities from the decade should be kept or brought back not because "it was the 90s!" but simply because they were good designs. Just like "it was the 90s!" should be no excuse to cling to bad, dated, nonsense.

What's wearing thin is this notion that every team has to look exactly like the original six, even if they were founded in the 90's or 2000's. It has made uniform unveilings an absolute bore and is slowly killing variety in the league.

As for the Dallas Stars, I think they absolutely should have a traditional looking set. I think they should take it a step further and ditch the metallic silver for athletic gold and really pay tribute to the North Stars. Them going retro makes sense because they have a 40 plus year history.

My problem is teams like the Panthers and Lightning, who do not have that kind of history, jumping on the retro bandwagon at the expense of their own history. The Panthers made the Stanley Cup Finals in a modern but fantastic look that is being flushed so the team can look a bastard child of the Habs and early Blackhawks. The Lightning actually won the trophy in a unique look that just needed a logo upgrade. Now they don't even look like the same franchise with their blue Red Wings knockoffs. Hurricanes are also guilty of this maddening trend as they traded in a unique but (relatively) restrained look, with a championship behind it, to look like a red version of the Leafs. Now can any of those uniforms be called "crazy" or "gaudy?" All of them are rooted in traditional design... They just have elements to set them apart from other teams like triangular shoulders, metallic colours and patterned striping.

I will concede that the 90's produced some truly terrible looks. The third jersey class of 1996 was absolutely atrocious, as was the Lightning's "Storm" alternate, the Coyotes "desertscape" alternate and the Flames's "podium" set to name a few. Unfortunately for people who want to write off the decade entirely, it also produced looks that were great. The Panthers debuted with a perfect set, as did the Avalanche, Hurricanes, Ducks, Senators and Sharks. The Oilers fixed the gaudiness of their scheme with a great update as did the Islanders after correcting the Fisherman debacle. You could tell the winning designs from bad because they lasted past the 90's until Reebok ruined everything.

"Original 6 Dress-Up" is such a lazy complaint.

Is the design good, or not? If it's good, who cares what historical lineage it taps in to? If it's bad, why should we excuse it from a team founded in an era of bad design?

If a guy walks down the street in head-to-toe purple leather, or acid washed jeans and an Izod shirt with the collar popped up, we don't say "That looks good because he was born in the 1980s."

Archived