2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

4 hours ago, hockey week said:

All of that about color balance and a lack of utilizing green, as well as the orca being generally terrible. 

Which is why I continue to advocate this:

Vancouver%20V%20jerseys_zpstdifibbp.png

Too much happening o the sleeve. Either go with the patch or the V, not both. Since your crest is a big V, the sleeve v is redundant. 

Also, maybe go with CANUCKS inside the V. It's more trademarkable and separates it more from the throwback it's based on 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, hockey week said:

All of that about color balance and a lack of utilizing green, as well as the orca being generally terrible. 

The "V" looks infinitely better than any variation of the "C" (excluding awful Johnny Canuck Vachon head).  I wish they would go with something like this.  

zzPEfBm.png

I despise that logo. Again, it looks like something a 5th grader would come up with. 

And green in not the Canucks colour - it's an accent colour. Which is why I'm not really bothered that it isn't in the Orca tbh. I don't think it automatically lessens the primary crest like most of you seem to think, despite that fact that you also seem to dislike the logo itself. I'm a fan of it in the context that I outlined. I still stand by it in most cases as well.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

7 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I despise that logo. Again, it looks like something a 5th grader would come up with. 

And green in not the Canucks colour - it's an accent colour. Which is why I'm not really bothered that it isn't in the Orca tbh. I don't think it automatically lessens the primary crest like most of you seem to think, despite that fact that you also seem to dislike the logo itself. I'm a fan of it in the context that I outlined. I still stand by it in most cases as well.

Dropping the script was an upgrade but the blue on blue just doesn't do it for me.  I think it needs more contrast.  I've tried adding green to the logo as well and agree that it never seems to quite work.  

zzPEfBm.png

12 minutes ago, steve61 said:

Dropping the script was an upgrade but the blue on blue just doesn't do it for me.  I think it needs more contrast.  I've tried adding green to the logo as well and agree that it never seems to quite work.  

Again, I know I'm biased towards my own tastes...but blue on blue with that silver does do it for me. The white is too strong of a contrast for the Orca IMO.

11 hours ago, Bayne said:

Erm, choosing the white ice Orca over the blue ice Orca addresses the contrast issue you raise but doesn't make adding green any more possible.

Like I said in my original post, the white ice Orca looks clunky and off balance with there being little to nothing offsetting it on the jersey. Add in the wordmark and the collar, and it's all just too much. 

I don't like the striping on the home jersey...the thin white lines around the green are just weak and not strong and bold like the 3rd's are.

Never said it did, I don't think adding green to the orca is even necessary.  There's no rule saying every colour on the striping has to be on the logo too.  The white Orca would look worlds better than the blue one.  On your concept, the only elements adding contrast are the thin silver outlines around the whale and it's not enough.  As for the thin white lines on the home jersey, I don't agree but if they must be made thicker, eliminate the blue stripes in-between.  Blue should never touch green anywhere on the jersey.  It just muddles things.

7 hours ago, hockey week said:

The most common complaint I hear against the Orca, is that it doesn't spell out the name "Canucks."  This logo not only doesn't fix that problem but it is a huge visual downgrade.  The Orca is at least somewhat interesting, this is just a 'V' with Vancouver written inside...

I agree with you on most points. I do think an exception can be made for the 3rd jersey striping and the rule of no blue and green can touch. To me, it works fine in this context. It's not a thick section of green up against a thick section of blue so I think it's acceptable.

I guess in my opinion I am picking the lesser or two evils, to coin a common phrase, in choosing the blue orca over the white one. I realise it isn't ideal, but I prefer it. 

I assume that this 'classic' jersey also falls into the same problem with very little contrast. Ie, I think there is precedent for it working and contrast not needing to be the number one imperative.

1968476.jpg

The only things wrong with Vancouver's uniforms are the striping is needlessly inconsistent from jersey to pants to socks and the arched Vancouver above the logo is really unnecessary. 

I could live with the whale, but Skatin' Johnny front and center would be best. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I love the idea of the Canucks using a 'V' logo as part of their main identity.  No other team in major pro sports has one.  It's a look that they can completely own.  However, using the Millionaires' V in Canuck colours just doesn't work, though, I would take that over any orca logo.

Here are a couple of concepts of mine that I have posted in the Concepts section:

1. 12670269_10153192527830964_2199170656887

I love the idea of using the Skating Johnny Canuck instead of just his head for a JC-V combination.  I also feel that a pointy V would have a stronger presence than the one used in the Johnny-head version.  The resemblance to the Skating Penguin logo did cross my mind as I put it together. Then, again, the original Jets' 80's logo was extremely similar to the Islanders' logo.  I made the V stand out more than the Penguins' gold triangle to help minimize the resemblance while giving strength to the Canucks look.

2. 12631275_10153192530785964_8033428962833 

While I don't approve of using the exact Millionaires' V, going with a Canucks version in terms of colour, design and font would be the best and safest non-Johnny Canuck primary logo the club could go with. The Agency font for the team name should be the only time it's used on the uniforms. The two logos at the bottom would be shoulder patches.  If I had to pick just one shoulder patch, it would be JC.  It would be a great nod to the Canucks' beginnings in the Pacific Coast/Western League when they wore a V logo in the 40's, JC in the 50's and the "CANUCKS" arched word-mark in the 60's. 

The Maple Leafs did a great job of replacing the boring Harold Ballard leaf and going with a great updated version of their logo while embracing their beginnings in the new leaf's veins.

It's time the Canucks embraced their heritage and history as well.

IMG_1313.thumb.JPG.45c6140f7b4e96a657ff6

So we've passed the All-Star game, but I found this floating around the internet. I was under the impression that the ASG uniorms were black/grey/yellow/white, but this almost looks like a slate blue and a navy blue. Anyone have info on this? 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

11 hours ago, Morgo said:

But lots of good uniforms have pants and sock striping that differs from the jerseys.

But in those (rare, exception to the rule) cases the striping is very different. In the Canucks' case the jersey/pants/socks blue-white-green-white-blue stripes of varying sizes and widths are just close enough to being the same that the differences look like errors in the templates/manufacturing, not intentional design. It feels sloppy. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 2/9/2016 at 10:24 AM, bkknight95 said:

IMG_1313.thumb.JPG.45c6140f7b4e96a657ff6

So we've passed the All-Star game, but I found this floating around the internet. I was under the impression that the ASG uniorms were black/grey/yellow/white, but this almost looks like a slate blue and a navy blue. Anyone have info on this? 

Just the camera

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

26 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Just use the current Stick-in-rink logo with that template & you have the best set the team ever wore.

Really?

gardner.jpg7458.jpg98501373-1970s-pat-quinn-of-the-vancouve

You can't see the stripes! It's all sorts of muddy. They fixed it on the next set, which is why this one is essentially forgotten, and for good reason!

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived