2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

4 hours ago, hockey week said:

Really?

gardner.jpg7458.jpg98501373-1970s-pat-quinn-of-the-vancouve

You can't see the stripes! It's all sorts of muddy. They fixed it on the next set, which is why this one is essentially forgotten, and for good reason!

I'll agree that the blue jersey wasn't done well. But it's an easy fix for the blue jersey to work.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, hockey week said:

Really?

gardner.jpg7458.jpg98501373-1970s-pat-quinn-of-the-vancouve

You can't see the stripes! It's all sorts of muddy. They fixed it on the next set, which is why this one is essentially forgotten, and for good reason!

The blue version would do a 180 with these improvements:

1. Don't invert the logo. Some logos, ie. Maple Leafs, Flames, North Stars, look great inverted. Not the Stick In Rink. 

2. Make the green a little more vibrant.

3. Add a white outline that's as thick as the white between the green stripes and apply it to the outside of the striping and to the outside of the logo.

4. Reverse the green and white on the pants.

All fixed. :)

AHL THROWBACK KLAXON:

The Moose are wearing their IHL-era jade-and-purple sweaters for today's game against the Wolves, who will also be wearing the same style of uniform they sported in the '90s.

https://twitter.com/ManitobaMoose/status/698557080446238720?s=09

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Rangers are one of the strongest arguments in favor of white at home.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

38 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

The Rangers are one of the strongest arguments in favor of white at home.

But their Blues are their best sweaters...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Every 10 years mix up the home and road jerseys for lights and darks. Easy fix. I'd like to see whites and home again but I'm sure I'd be right back advocating for the opposite in another decade.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

10 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

But their Blues are their best sweaters...

I know they're called the Broadway Blueshirts, but the white jerseys look better, IMHO. They really can't go wrong with either one, but the white jerseys are better.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I prefer white jerseys at home and I can't really think of a better reason other than "that's what I grew up with". 

I get the arguments for color jerseys at home - most teams' best jersey is their dark jersey, it's easier for traveling teams when the home team wants to wear an alternate and most alternates are not white, the jersey color matches the color the fans are wearing so it's visually consistent, etc. 

BUT I still prefer white at home. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I get the preference for white, but I very much prefer the dark uniforms in general and I feel they're better suited at home. I've attended a game in Montreal and the Habs looked fantastic in the red jersey. If I'm travelling to Anaheim for a game - which I will do, one day - I'd want to see them in their colours or rather the orange third jersey but that's besides the point. 

I've only been following the NHL for little over a decade, so maybe it boils down to "what I grew up with" for me too. But then, my local team on this side of the pond plays in a white-at-home league and I get tired of seeing that all the time :P

I think the NHL could get away with occasionally switching it up mid-season. Like, having a week in the schedule where all teams are wearing white at home.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

It would be nice if the NHL could follow what the CHL does.

In the CHL (so WHL, OHL and QMJHL) they wear either white at home up until the Christmas break, and then switch to dark at home after the Christmas break. However, I think each of the 3 leagues does it their own way...The WHL this year is the reverse of that (dark until Christmas, White after).

The NHL could do whites until either Christmas break or All-Star break, and then go Colour at home for the rest of the season. That would mean that come playoffs, darks would be worn at home to create atmosphere like we do here with our "C of Red" in Calgary. (WInnipeg and/or Arizona might have something to say about that being the other way around tho).

If the NHL did the mid-season swap, they would be laughed at as an even less-respectable league. That's such a minor league thing to do.

We all know that colors at home makes so much more sense logistically, and there are only two reasons for white at home. 1) it's what we grew up with, and 2) home fans see more colors from visiting teams.

That's not enough to excuse the hassles of the visiting team packing a second set of jerseys so the home team can wear their third jerseys, which are almost never white. 

Wait a few pages and we'll have another discussion why the NHL should have more color vs color games, and this sudden love of white sweaters will be long forgotten.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I've grown up with the Colored jerseys as the home sweater, but there are some teams that I would love to see wear white at home. The Rangers aren't one of them. I love the the Wild's white sweater, and would like to see them at home regularly. Some other teams are Boston, Detroit, Edmonton, New Jersey, and St. Louis... But some teams that have great white sweaters also have great Dark sweaters, ie. Chicago, Montreal, both New York Teams, Toronto, and Winnipeg. So while white does look good at home for some teams, the dark colored sweater is usually better and reflects the team colors better. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

See, I consider Toronto in white to be their primary look. Same with Detrois and Winnipeg. 

I prefer dark at home if we're going to keep the "home/road" dynamic, because I think the dark option is the preferred primary look for most team. That, and it just makes things easier considering that most alternates are dark sweaters. 

My ideal scenario? Rip off soccer. Have primary and clash kits. That would allow the Habs to wear red as often as possible while allowing teams like the Leafs and Jets to wear white as often as possible. It could also allow a team like the Preds to really experiment with their look. They could designate the gold as their primary sweater and break out a navy version the rare times they play teams that primarily wear white. 

How I would break the league down...

Anaheim: Primary orange Change black

Arizona: Primary burgundy Change white

Boston: Primary black Change white Alt gold

Buffalo: Primary blue Change white

Calgary: Primary red Change white

Carolina: Primary red Change white Alt black

Chicago: Primary red Change white

Colorado: Primary burgundy Change white

Columbus: Primary navy Change white

Dallas: Primary green (kelly) Change white

Detroit: Primary white Change red

Edmonton: Primary blue Change white Alt orange 

Florida: Primary red Change white

Los Angeles: Primary black Change white

Minnesota: Primary green (forest) Change white Alt red

Montreal: Primary red Change white

Nashville: Primary gold Change navy

New Jersey: Primary red Change white

New York I: Primary blue Change white 

New York R: Primary blue Change white 

Ottawa: Primary black Change white Alt red

Philadelphia: Primary orange Change white

Pittsburgh: Primary black Change white

San Jose: Primary teal Change white Alt black

St. Louis: Primary blue Change white

Tampa Bay: Primary blue (Honalulu) Change white Alt black

Toronto: Primary white Change blue

Vancouver: Primary blue Change white

Washington: Primary red Change white

Winnipeg: Primary white Change navy

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

I've grown up with the Colored jerseys as the home sweater, but there are some teams that I would love to see wear white at home. The Rangers aren't one of them. I love the the Wild's white sweater, and would like to see them at home regularly. Some other teams are Boston, Detroit, Edmonton, New Jersey, and St. Louis... But some teams that have great white sweaters also have great Dark sweaters, ie. Chicago, Montreal, both New York Teams, Toronto, and Winnipeg. So while white does look good at home for some teams, the dark colored sweater is usually better and reflects the team colors better. 

I'd have teams where home whites until the All Star break.  I'd also let playoff home teams decide, like the NFL.  

I'm pro home whites, though I get the argument for either.  Home whites lets fans see the parade of unis from around the league instead of home colours v whites every home date.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived