2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

3 hours ago, Bayne said:

Teams reinvent their look every so often regardless. Why the need to throw another logo into the mix, along with already existing shoulder patches and alternate insignia. It's just a unnecessary overload of conflicting identity. 

Hockey week explained it better than I ever could so I'll refer you to that.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say third jerseys would be sorely missed by the majority of sports-aesthetic, enthusiasts on these boards.

And Columbus? Seriously.

The double blue is fitting and the 'Canon' was good enough to promote to secondary status.  The only thing I dislike is the use of vintage white but it's still a sharp uniform.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably in the minority, but I like most teams' white jerseys more, especially teams that wear the same color jersey and pants. I'd love to see the Islanders in white at home because I like the white-on-blue look more than blue-on-blue. And maybe then they'd bring the white SUV back.

I've had a weird relationship with the Blue Jackets third uniforms. I went to the unveiling in 2011 and let out an audible groan when the curtain dropped. I hated that they lacked red, hated that they jumped on the fauxback trend, vintage white trend, double blue trend, hated the number font. Over time, though, I grew to like them, being such a drastic departure from the regular uniforms it's an interesting change up every once in a while and the team was very clear that it was the secondary identity. I even bought a hat with the cannon logo that I can wear on days when they wear the 3rds. Then this offseason they make the secondary logo the shoulder patch on the primaries and I'm back to being annoyed at the third jersey. That logo was never meant to be a shoulder patch and you can tell. It looks awful on the regular jerseys. 

But yeah at this point I wouldn't want to see those thirds go away. They're in year 5 of that alternate so it's become something of a mini-tradition to have a significantly different alternate uniform. if they don't make any more changes and hang on for a few more years they can really cement that as part of their identity within the NHL. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I was born in 1975 and my "formative" hockey years were the late 80's/early 90's.  The appearance of the league in 1993 is basically burned into my brain about how the league "should" look with regards to team identities and wearing white at home. (yes I realize in 1992 teams wore their darks at home for half a season) 

I'm a creature of a specific era in time. Bring back the home whites, dammit!  And also contract Nashville, Columbus, and Phoenix. ;)

I would love for the Red Wings to become the Cowboys of the NHL and just wear white almost all the time.

I'd at least settle for some gimmick where they always wear WAH against either O6 teams or divisional opponents or something.

They already break out the WAH 2 or 3 times a year but that's not enough for me since I think their white jerseys are the best in the NHL.

I grew up in the 80's and 90's, but being a student of history, I always wanted darks at home.

When they made that change, it felt like a victory. Still does. Much like gray facemasks in football, darks at home is a design argument I will always participate in. It is the hill I choose to die on. :-P

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

14 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

White at home, color on the road, one white (or light) alt, one dark color alt. Limit of 8 appearances for each alt. I'm fine with that, and the NHL should be fine with the money.

Stick to one full-time alt, but allow teams to have a one-off alt in addition. If the team doesn't have a full-time alt, let them wear several one-offs throughout the season (like the Leafs and Habs during their centennial seasons).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

11 minutes ago, youcan'tseeme said:

That is truly amazing, just a few years

behind sadly!

But it still works. Some the other ones are a little off too. Like the fact that Fargo isn't in Minnesota, but yet there was a Blue Jackets-esc version of Fargo. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

36 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

But it still works. Some the other ones are a little off too. Like the fact that Fargo isn't in Minnesota, but yet there was a Blue Jackets-esc version of Fargo. 

Fargo is basically in Minnesota

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

3 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Fargo is basically in Minnesota

Just like the Buffaslug is one of Buffalo's logos. Not technically but... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Just now, TRoyConcepts said:

But the Buffaslug IS one of Buffalo's logos? 

It's not part of their current logo "collection". And I don't consider Fargo Part of Minnesota, because Sioux's a girls name!!!! (Yes I know they play in Grand Forks... And are the Hawks now.) 

I've been a big fan of his work, but this one misses the mark.

"Hahaha, you made a mistake a bunch of years ago, and then you realized it was a mistake and you undid the mistake and made it right which I guess was the totally the correct decision but still hahaha you once made a mistake."

18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I've been a big fan of his work, but this one misses the mark.

"Hahaha, you made a mistake a bunch of years ago, and then you realized it was a mistake and you undid the mistake and made it right which I guess was the totally the correct decision but still hahaha you once made a mistake."

I'd give it +1,000,000 points for being cool, -.75 points for being outdated.  Since both nicknames could be humans (a sabre is not a person, but it is an officer's weapon), I thought you could make a pretty epic battle scene.  Hopefully, he gets around to doing another Sabres-Jackets one in that direction later.

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

They were more conceptual at first and now he's just going for the joke. 

Also, chcarlson, the movie "Fargo" mostly takes place in Minnesota. That's what that poster was referencing. 

I understand that, but Fargo isn't technically in Minnesota, just like the Buffaslug isn't technically a Sabres logo anymore. It's not technically right, but it works...

Archived