2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

16 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

I would consider tampa edge, pens, sens way worse than Calgary. 

Vertical and horizontal stripes clashing at the bottom, weird side panels abruptly ending midway under the arms, butt-ugly circular piping connecting nowhere and creating a blank space, "modern" looking stripes and piping but classic socks striping, ugly templated pants stripes that don't even match the white jerseys, blue Alberta flag on the shoulders (at least the Canadian one is red and white)... These are not boring click and fill uniforms, these are :censored:ing nightmares... If I was a Flames fan I'd be rioting over these uniforms still sticking around.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Morgo said:

Indeed.  Besides, Tampa actually managed to do worse when they exchanged their championship winning identity to play Maple Leafs dress-up

But it still looks better than the Flames...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

8 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Tampa's pre-edge set still wasn't good.

Yeah, I have a hard time working up any outrage over their new look, since the one it replaced was so bad.  Maybe this is bland, maybe it reminds some people of elements of other teams, but at least this uniform is well-designed. 

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I have a hard time working up any outrage over their new look, since the one it replaced was so bad.  Maybe this is bland, maybe it reminds some people of elements of other teams, but at least this uniform is well-designed. 

It's hard to look at the Lightning's new look in a vacuum, especially when they play in a (contrived) division with the two teams they ripped off.

Is the new look better than the one it replaced? Yes. Does that alone make it a good uniform? No.

I think Tampa falls into the category of teams that have never looked good. Their cup-winning jerseys was just a click and fill CCM cut, the EDGE jerseys were just a click and fill Reebok cut and their current look is just a combination of Toronto and Detroit. They've never had a good logo, only a couple that were "just alright". The only reason I feel people even say they like the 90's jerseys is because of nostalgia and its color scheme, a color scheme they should have stuck with and perfected.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

47 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

A significant amount of negative comments would go away, if only they added some black in there (and I'm not talking about just the number trim and pants bolt trim). A distinct and noticeable amount of black. They need their color scheme back more than anything.

Next year will feel like we've entered a bizarro world because Lightning/Panthers games are going to look like Leafs/Habs games.

8 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Next year will feel like we've entered a bizarro world because Lightning/Panthers games are going to look like Leafs/Habs games.

Given the division they've deliberately been stuck in, I can't help but feel that this is also deliberate.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

11 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I think Tampa falls into the category of teams that have never looked good. Their cup-winning jerseys was just a click and fill CCM cut, the EDGE jerseys were just a click and fill Reebok cut and their current look is just a combination of Toronto and Detroit. They've never had a good logo, only a couple that were "just alright". The only reason I feel people even say they like the 90's jerseys is because of nostalgia and its color scheme, a color scheme they should have stuck with and perfected.

and you didn't even mention their current LA Kings ripoff alternate uniform. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

and you didn't even mention their current LA Kings ripoff alternate uniform. 

I wouldn't call it a rip-off because it has piping down the arms. That means LA is a rip-off of Columbus, which it isn't. If anything the alternate is a Columbus rip-off.

2 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

What Tampa should be wearing is a tweaked version of the 93-94 set with the 07 logos. 

I disagree. Leave the 90's jerseys alone. All they have to do to look nice is have simple albeit creative striping with blue, white and possibly silver on a black jersey. The '07 logos would be fine though, with some adjustments.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

5 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

What Tampa should be wearing is a tweaked version of the 93-94 set with the 07 logos. 

Yep.  With blue dominant over black, white shoulders retained, and victory stripes implemented.  The current look is bland, character-less trash.  You won a Stanley Cup in Black, Blue and Silver... embrace it!

3 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Please god no

Seconded.  They may have never had a good logo but that one is easily the worst of the three.  I've always maintained the most interesting thing about their former identity was the use of metallic silver.  Blue and black can look especially drab together and the silver added some much needed flash.  It was especially fitting for a team called the 'Lightning.'

As for the current identity, nothing about it says 'Lightning' to me.  The logos are far too static and simplistic to represent that namesake and the colour palette has the same issue.  I guess actual Lightning is hard to represent with a few colours but the old look did a pretty good job.

5 hours ago, Morgo said:

Seconded.  They may have never had a good logo but that one is easily the worst of the three.  I've always maintained the most interesting thing about their former identity was the use of metallic silver.  Blue and black can look especially drab together and the silver added some much needed flash.  It was especially fitting for a team called the 'Lightning.'

Anyone wanna slap the old Lightning logos on my concept? I'm too lazy tonight.

Archived