Jump to content

2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes


BigBubba

Recommended Posts

I swear that someone in the marketing department screwed up the Ducks' jerseys at the last second. As I put together YEARS ago,

DucksDlogojerseys.jpg

 

This was before the webbed-D was given as a separate logo, back when the full wordmark was the only logo, I swear the webbed-D was the original design and someone in marketing said, "but how will they know we're the Ducks?! it doesn't say DUCKS anywhere!" 

and then we got this, and it was never good enough.

Phoenix+Coyotes+v+Anaheim+Ducks+Z0rck81a

 

If they went with the logo straight out, I think these would've been a much bigger hit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's one of the problems with the D. If you're not in the know, it's not immediately obvious what it's supposed to be.

 

You may be right though, I believe the original plan was to have just the D on the front. But then they decided that they wanted a way to market the new name, like they're literally spelling out that they're no longer the "Mighty" Ducks. Therefore, we got the wordmark. To me, that's a telling sign they didn't have a lot of faith in the D from the get go. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the black and purple Anaheim script third jersey played a part in that too; that was very popular at the time, and it got to a point where management sneakily swapped it with the regular home in the latter half of 2005-06.

 

The D would have made those uniforms marginally better, at most. A bigger crest is a big improvement but with that poor use of the colour scheme, there was no saving them. I always found it strange how they played up the Orange County factor, lighting up the Pond in bright orange, handing out orange fowl towels in the playoffs, and yet it was limited to a barely noticeable accent on the uniform. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's because while orange is a great color for a sports team, it hasn't been a terribly popular color for clothing.  And when your first goal is to sell as many jerseys as possible, black looks more inviting for orange. 

 

For everything else, when direct merchandising dollars aren't on the line, go with orange. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2016-03-07 at 4:12 AM, wildwing64 said:

Yeah, that's one of the problems with the D. If you're not in the know, it's not immediately obvious what it's supposed to be.

 

 

 

Huh? I knew exactly what is was the moment it was unveiled. I remember saying to myself. "Cool. An actual sports team logo. Its simple and dynamic and is an instant classic along the lines of the Flyers ""winged P" and the Blues "stylized blue note." When I showed it to people they immediately saw the webbed foot and the "D".

 

When I saw that Mighty Duck logo back in 1993 I thought it was for a new Disney cartoon or some new brand of merchandise. I was horrified to find out it was the logo for the new hockey team!! Leading up to the name unveiling the word was the team was going to be called the Anaheim Express. When Michael E. revealed the name and then that Disney cartoon, a collective groan was heard across the sports world. I had people who don't follow hockey laughing at me saying "You got a team in your sport called the Mighty Ducks"? "Bwaaa Haaa haaa". It was embarrassing and makes it very hard to take seriously.

People didn't look at the team and the logo as a sports team. They looked at it like a piece of Disney merchandise because that its EXACTLY what it was. There was even an article in the Hockey News talking about how most people who bought merchandise were Disney fans and not sports fans. Disney designed that logo to cater directly to the Disney fan moreso the sports fan.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2443z3o.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Leading up to the name unveiling the word was the team was going to be called the Anaheim Express.

 

Dodged a bullet, then.  I liked the inaugural look at the time (if not necessarily the color scheme), and I like it even more hearing that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the Mighty Ducks. People bemoan the corporate cross-promotion that was a shameless attempt to a tie a popular movie franchise in with their foray into professional sports ownership, but to me that's a better origin story than "we focus grouped the hell out of this and Avalanche tested better than Xtreme". 
 

It seemed like every kid I knew had some form of Mighty Ducks gear and that was in Ohio in the 90's when the closest NHL team was 3 hours away. The movie and the team named for the movie created a lot of exposure for the sport.  Plus that color scheme was visually pleasing and the cool colors (in both senses of the word "cool") were a natural fit for a team that plays its sport on ice. 

 

I don't blame the new owners for evolving the brand away from the Disney era. I probably would've done the same thing if I had just bought that franchise, but I thought the 06 rebrand had a few misses like their insistence on the wordmark being the primary or orange being relegated to piping. Now I think the Ducks are headed in the right direction. The home and road jerseys aren't good, but there's potential here. I like that they're embracing their roots by re-adopting the wildwing mask logo and incorporating that into their logo package. It's a really good logo and it's a part of their heritage. I hope their next step is to simplify the black and whites to match the orange sweaters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I like that they're embracing their roots by re-adopting the wildwing mask logo and incorporating that into their logo package.

Keep in mind that they've actually been using the mask logo since 2010, as it's on the shoulder patch of the then-alternate/now-home and road jerseys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

Keep in mind that they've actually been using the mask logo since 2010, as it's on the shoulder patch of the then-alternate/now-home and road jerseys.

yeah that's what I was talking about. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Huh? I knew exactly what is was the moment it was unveiled.

 

Well, yeah, of course you did. You're "in the know".

 

6 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I remember saying to myself. "Cool. An actual sports team logo. Its simple and dynamic and is an instant classic along the lines of the Flyers ""winged P" and the Blues "stylized blue note." When I showed it to people they immediately saw the webbed foot and the "D".

 

Funny, because I show people the D on its own and the first question I get after I tell them what team it is: "Where's the duck?"

 

Maybe it had potential to be a classic, but the fact that they felt the need to attach it to a bunch of letters spelling out the rest of the name tells me they didn't have much hope in it from the start. They had to explain in the presser what the thing at the end of the wordmark, vaguely resembling a Batarang, was supposed to be. Let's not forget, this wordmark was the team's primary logo, front and centre on all the team branding, and shrunken down to fit on banners and even the damn uniform because of the super clever branding guidelines, for eight years. Eight. :censored:ing. Years. That's definitely not a sign of the D being strong enough to be an "actual sports team logo". If they had any faith in this thing at all then they would have immediately used it from the beginning. And when the D finally got its own jersey? Oh, look! It's accompanied by the mask logo on the shoulders.

 

6 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

When I saw that Mighty Duck logo back in 1993 I thought it was for a new Disney cartoon or some new brand of merchandise. I was horrified to find out it was the logo for the new hockey team!! Leading up to the name unveiling the word was the team was going to be called the Anaheim Express.

 

So we'd be making Thomas the Tank Engine jokes ad nauseam instead? Fantastic!

 

6 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

When Michael E. revealed the name and then that Disney cartoon, a collective groan was heard across the sports world. I had people who don't follow hockey laughing at me saying "You got a team in your sport called the Mighty Ducks"? "Bwaaa Haaa haaa". It was embarrassing and makes it very hard to take seriously.

 

And? They haven't used that name in almost ten years. Nobody's laughing at the logo anymore. If anything people have either gotten over their utter hatred of it or have acknowledged that it's a thing that exists. If it was really that horrifically embarrassing, why would they bother to bring it back in any capacity just four years after that berk Brian got rid of it? I'm willing to gamble on more people associating the mask with the team than the D-foot. Hell, look at nearly every Ducks goalie mask since they brought it back, or even before that third-now-home was revealed. They evidently favoured one logo over the other, and it wasn't the D.

 

6 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

People didn't look at the team and the logo as a sports team. They looked at it like a piece of Disney merchandise because that its EXACTLY what it was. There was even an article in the Hockey News talking about how most people who bought merchandise were Disney fans and not sports fans. Disney designed that logo to cater directly to the Disney fan moreso the sports fan.

 

A multi billion dollar corporation, launching a product and expanding its appeal beyond the target market in an effort to draw in more fans, maybe even worldwide, and generate more sales for their brand? Surely you jest.

 

6 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2443z3o.jpg

 

deadhorse.gif.8513381dab508a9b9177a7a550

 

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I love the Mighty Ducks. People bemoan the corporate cross-promotion that was a shameless attempt to a tie a popular movie franchise in with their foray into professional sports ownership, but to me that's a better origin story than "we focus grouped the hell out of this and Avalanche tested better than Xtreme". 

 

Exactly. The way I see it, the whole Mighty Ducks brand push was no different to the Yankees logo being everywhere. And I mean everywhere. That thing appeared over this side of the Pond around the late 90's or early 00's, and everyone was wearing it. It's still a hugely popular brand. But very few if any of my fellow Brits wearing the NY are aware that it even belongs to an actual sports team. To them, it's just another brand, like Nike or Puma or Lacoste or whatever.

 

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I don't blame the new owners for evolving the brand away from the Disney era. I probably would've done the same thing if I had just bought that franchise, but I thought the 06 rebrand had a few misses like their insistence on the wordmark being the primary or orange being relegated to piping. Now I think the Ducks are headed in the right direction. The home and road jerseys aren't good, but there's potential here. I like that they're embracing their roots by re-adopting the wildwing mask logo and incorporating that into their logo package. It's a really good logo and it's a part of their heritage. I hope their next step is to simplify the black and whites to match the orange sweaters. 

 

I understand why they did it at the time, but ultimately I didn't only hate the wordmark because of my attachment to the mask logo. Months and months of speculation and hype, and a lousy wordmark is all they come up with? No alternate marks? Just more text spelling the name? You're replacing one of the most iconic and recognisable logos of its time, with that? I expected better.

 

But yes, they are definitely on the right track. But if we're already talking about new uniforms I'd rather see them go with the third full time. The D would work well on a more traditional uniform, but it's a third at best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Arguments like this make me really wish they went forward with their idea to rebrand as the California Golden Seals. I guess there were some questions as to the ownership and use of the name and there was a distinct possibility that they were going to resurrect the old team name. Then there'd be no issues with an old logo or a throwback, because it wouldn't be relevant anymore. The Mighty Ducks could be finally and permanently dead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, hockey week said:

Arguments like this make me really wish they went forward with their idea to rebrand as the California Golden Seals. I guess there were some questions as to the ownership and use of the name and there was a distinct possibility that they were going to resurrect the old team name. Then there'd be no issues with an old logo or a throwback, because it wouldn't be relevant anymore. The Mighty Ducks could be finally and permanently dead.

 

I'm glad they didn't, that would have been horrendous.  The only aspect of the 'Mighty Ducks of Anaheim' that needed to die was the name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

 

I'm glad they didn't, that would have been horrendous.  The only aspect of the 'Mighty Ducks of Anaheim' that needed to die was the name.

 

I disagree. I think the whole franchise history needs to go. I grew up in a Pittsburgh suburb at a time when the Penguins were awful, I was one of maybe four hockey fans in my entire school, and that included the teachers. I got mocked mercilessly for liking "that Canadian sport nobody watches", and I'll never forget when a kid asked me if my Penguins jersey was the new Winnipeg jersey. They were all ready to see the team move, because then maybe we'd get a basketball team.

 

But they knew the Mighty Ducks. 

They'd shout knuckle puck for no reason, and when we played in gym class, they'd shout it before they slapped the whiffle ball we were using...even though that made no sense.

They'd ask why the Penguins couldn't just do the flying V to win games.

and when making small talk with parents, they'd mention their nephew is playing for the Junior Penguins, so he's on his way to the NHL (the jr. pens are Junior B, and low level at that, especially back then). 

 

I HATE the Mighty Ducks. 

 

 

and you notice, they didn't do anything good as the Mighty Ducks. They went to the Cup final in '03 and lost to New Jersey. It's that and Paul Kariya's tears. Mention Guy Hebert and you have the entire Mighty Ducks history. As soon as they drop the Mighty, BAM they win the Cup. Nobody seems to care about that. Everyone just has a raging hard-on for nostalgia because we somehow feel that our childhoods were perfect and we have to replicate them in every way like some perverse time capsule. X-files and Full House are on tv, Ninja Turtles were in theaters, Surge can be gotten and Hi-C Ecto Cooler might be coming back, AND you can watch that Mighty Ducks logo on the ice again! Bust out your AOL CDs and hop on AIM, Woo! 90s! Now if only they'd bring back the eggplant and jade and make it for realz. Eggplant and Jade, because we're too rad to say purple and green. Nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia! No moving forward, no hope for the future, we're going to sit huddled in the past. It's not like it's the Original Six we're talking about, it wasn't some super-classic design...the duck mask wouldn't even fit a duck. No duck looks like that. It's clearly based on Donald Duck, which makes it so much more cartoony than it needs to be. It's out beyond the Penguins' cartoonishness, because it's totally referencing Disney, and it's obvious. Something more natural, less Donald, and you might have something. It'd still be whimsical and cartoony because, well, ducks wouldn't wear goalie masks...they're ducks, but it'd be somewhat better, because the Disney connection is broken. But again, nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia.

 

/rant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hockey week said:

Let's screw everything up with this junior team in the USPHL. No caption for who exactly, but the mashup is pretty unholy

DellsDucks3_large.jpg

That would be the Dells Ducks, from Wisconsin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

 

I disagree. I think the whole franchise history needs to go. I grew up in a Pittsburgh suburb at a time when the Penguins were awful, I was one of maybe four hockey fans in my entire school, and that included the teachers. I got mocked mercilessly for liking "that Canadian sport nobody watches", and I'll never forget when a kid asked me if my Penguins jersey was the new Winnipeg jersey. They were all ready to see the team move, because then maybe we'd get a basketball team.

 

But they knew the Mighty Ducks. 

They'd shout knuckle puck for no reason, and when we played in gym class, they'd shout it before they slapped the whiffle ball we were using...even though that made no sense.

They'd ask why the Penguins couldn't just do the flying V to win games.

and when making small talk with parents, they'd mention their nephew is playing for the Junior Penguins, so he's on his way to the NHL (the jr. pens are Junior B, and low level at that, especially back then). 

 

I HATE the Mighty Ducks. 

 

 

and you notice, they didn't do anything good as the Mighty Ducks. They went to the Cup final in '03 and lost to New Jersey. It's that and Paul Kariya's tears. Mention Guy Hebert and you have the entire Mighty Ducks history. As soon as they drop the Mighty, BAM they win the Cup. Nobody seems to care about that. Everyone just has a raging hard-on for nostalgia because we somehow feel that our childhoods were perfect and we have to replicate them in every way like some perverse time capsule. X-files and Full House are on tv, Ninja Turtles were in theaters, Surge can be gotten and Hi-C Ecto Cooler might be coming back, AND you can watch that Mighty Ducks logo on the ice again! Bust out your AOL CDs and hop on AIM, Woo! 90s! Now if only they'd bring back the eggplant and jade and make it for realz. Eggplant and Jade, because we're too rad to say purple and green. Nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia! No moving forward, no hope for the future, we're going to sit huddled in the past. It's not like it's the Original Six we're talking about, it wasn't some super-classic design...the duck mask wouldn't even fit a duck. No duck looks like that. It's clearly based on Donald Duck, which makes it so much more cartoony than it needs to be. It's out beyond the Penguins' cartoonishness, because it's totally referencing Disney, and it's obvious. Something more natural, less Donald, and you might have something. It'd still be whimsical and cartoony because, well, ducks wouldn't wear goalie masks...they're ducks, but it'd be somewhat better, because the Disney connection is broken. But again, nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia.

 

/rant.

 

The ironing is delicious.  The people who prefer the 'Mighty Ducks' branding are blinded by nostalgia yet your alternative involves brining back a team who has never had a good logo, uniform, colour scheme, or have won anything.  If it isn't nostalgia then what is the reason for bringing back this team?  The Ducks would have won the cup in 2007 whether they changed their identity or not.  They added Pronger to an already stacked team that shouldn't have lost to the streaking Oilers to begin with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, nash61 said:

That would be the Dells Ducks, from Wisconsin.

 

The logo is hideous but the name is wonderfully appropriate, since the Dells is renowned for its amphibious vehicle tours. 

 

Original-Wisconsin-Ducks.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hockey week said:

 

I disagree. I think the whole franchise history needs to go. I grew up in a Pittsburgh suburb at a time when the Penguins were awful, I was one of maybe four hockey fans in my entire school, and that included the teachers. I got mocked mercilessly for liking "that Canadian sport nobody watches", and I'll never forget when a kid asked me if my Penguins jersey was the new Winnipeg jersey. They were all ready to see the team move, because then maybe we'd get a basketball team.

 

But they knew the Mighty Ducks. 

They'd shout knuckle puck for no reason, and when we played in gym class, they'd shout it before they slapped the whiffle ball we were using...even though that made no sense.

They'd ask why the Penguins couldn't just do the flying V to win games.

and when making small talk with parents, they'd mention their nephew is playing for the Junior Penguins, so he's on his way to the NHL (the jr. pens are Junior B, and low level at that, especially back then). 

 

I HATE the Mighty Ducks. 

 

 

and you notice, they didn't do anything good as the Mighty Ducks. They went to the Cup final in '03 and lost to New Jersey. It's that and Paul Kariya's tears. Mention Guy Hebert and you have the entire Mighty Ducks history. As soon as they drop the Mighty, BAM they win the Cup. Nobody seems to care about that. Everyone just has a raging hard-on for nostalgia because we somehow feel that our childhoods were perfect and we have to replicate them in every way like some perverse time capsule. X-files and Full House are on tv, Ninja Turtles were in theaters, Surge can be gotten and Hi-C Ecto Cooler might be coming back, AND you can watch that Mighty Ducks logo on the ice again! Bust out your AOL CDs and hop on AIM, Woo! 90s! Now if only they'd bring back the eggplant and jade and make it for realz. Eggplant and Jade, because we're too rad to say purple and green. Nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia! No moving forward, no hope for the future, we're going to sit huddled in the past. It's not like it's the Original Six we're talking about, it wasn't some super-classic design...the duck mask wouldn't even fit a duck. No duck looks like that. It's clearly based on Donald Duck, which makes it so much more cartoony than it needs to be. It's out beyond the Penguins' cartoonishness, because it's totally referencing Disney, and it's obvious. Something more natural, less Donald, and you might have something. It'd still be whimsical and cartoony because, well, ducks wouldn't wear goalie masks...they're ducks, but it'd be somewhat better, because the Disney connection is broken. But again, nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia.

 

/rant.

 

So in short you hate the Mighty Ducks brand because more people in your area liked the movies it was tied to than they did the Penguins or hockey in general.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the reminder that Pittsburgh was once a scorched earth hockey city with moving trucks warming up for KC. Most Penguins fans have forgotten that not that long ago time or don't remember because they weren't yet Penguins fans. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.