2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

Love everything about the red caps jersey (and the white one they were just using) EXCEPT the crest. The stripes, stars, and yoke always looked so good to me in those colors. I'd like 'em to use those as their primaries but with a better crest. The Weagle? Something new?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like I am in a minority of hockey fans in that I like the Caps' star-spangled unis they wore through 1995.

I didn't mind the blue and copper sets of the late 90s, but the typography could have been so much better. The asymmetrical hem stripe was dated from the get-go, but with the angle of the eagle's wing, it worked. I felt that the numerals were amateur and bordering on illegible and the logotype was blase. And about the only thing that I like on the current sets is the Weagle. While I think it works as part of a throwback, I'm not sure if I'm sold on it:

https://flic.kr/p/ubXpkg

Countering the throwback flash, I created a modern alternate in blue. Because the home and away use the stars as their main element, I used stripes in this one:

https://flic.kr/p/uRmg5v

Those original Capitals jerseys ride a borderline between "too much" and "pointlessness", and as much as I love the white shoulders, there isn't much good to say about them.

It's too many stars. They're all over the place, alternating colors, looks like a bad all-star jersey. In fact, you could swap out the wordmark for EAST or WEST and nobody would question your decision.

The stripes at the end of the sleeves are utterly pointless. They were covered up by gloves then and they're covered up by gloves now. It leaves you with big blank sleeves save for those stupid stars.

The logo is a mess. It screams the 70s and really hasn't held up very well. It's less logo and more wordmark, moreso than the current one, and that's saying something, considering that the Weagle is used as their logo for every scoreboard and so on.

The whole thing is lazy, really. But, I had a Caps fan explain to me once that the current jerseys are football-style to get the non-fans into it. If the throwback alts are to get those football-fans-who-now-watch-hockey to like a hockey sweater before they do a full switch to an updated, good version of those originals, I can handle it.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I'm fine with the Caps throwing back to their original look only for the purpose of a throwback third jersey. It's not very good, but it's infinitely better than the garbage they wear now. However, if they are gonna bring back the look full-time, they've gotta update it (tone down the stars, change the logo/get a new one, darken one of the colours). It's like when the Blue Jays brought back their retro powder blue pullovers as an alternate a while back before modernizing that look with their re-brand. They were fun to watch ten times a year, but it would have been silly to wear them full-time.

The OKC Barons used an orange alt last year, and it looked fantastic. I think the Oilers were selling Alberta Oilers throwbacks in their arena shop either this season or last, too.

I loved those. They wore a couple different ones.

XNpRTve.jpg

3zZugrD.jpg

I LOVE the shape of the yoke on the bottom picture. It's just like the '80s Oilers wore -- I wish the team used them now:

one_anderson03.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Sneak peak of the Coyotes sock via their twitter:

CISZCeoWEAALVCO.jpg

So if that is the striping pattern, they learned their design skills from the Avs.

Dark on dark with no separation.... You wont be able to see that black stripe.

Agree wholeheartedly, that looks terrible.

Sneak peak of the Coyotes sock via their twitter:

CISZCeoWEAALVCO.jpg

That dude's calf appears swollen, possibly infected.

they're also going to announce that craig ludwig has come out of retirement to sign with the coyotes.

tumblr_n5wj5jTA631spx4u4o1_250.jpgludwig250.jpg

4881-1188455Fr.jpg

Archived