2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

The Canucks had their annual state of the franchise event last week and someone asked Linden when they are going to ditch the whale. The management team responded saying they have put thought into it and that the home and road jerseys/logo aren't going anywhere. They did however say they are playing with a few different third jersey options and asked the fans if they prefer the stick n rink logo or Johnny.

Then today they posted the following on instagram and asked fans to vote for a or b. Could we be seeing the striping,jersey color and logo of a new third to come next year?

11428110_473382109506943_2024614591_n.jp

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like A better too but if we are talking about an alternate jersey, I'd rather it be green.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I like A better too but if we are talking about an alternate jersey, I'd rather it be green.

Yes. Both jerseys suffer from them trying to be cute and stupidly trying to port over the striping pattern from the white jersey. The blue one shouldn't have random white lines on the top and bottom, but that would make it just like their current blue jersey's striping. The green one, however, is bad because the main stripe should be blue.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

At least the Canucks current uniforms aren't in the same league of bad as the Flames and Avalanche... Still, their refusal to fix them is frustrating. Neither of those third options are improvement over the current, which is easily the best of the three.

I wouldn't call the whale and wordmark "Hideous." But yes, the Flames and Avalanche have vastly superior primary logos to the Canucks, there's no disputing that. I'd even go as far as to put those logos in the top 10. Problem is, they happen to be on two of the most poorly designed uniforms in league history.

The Avalanche ruin their logo by using, arguably the worst RBK 'Edge' template, while the Flames make an already busy uniform significantly worse by using a differently coloured flag that sticks out like a sore thumb. As far as their overall uniform package is concerned, the Canucks blow both teams out of the water.

Wild 15th anniversary logo per Icethetics

CKDNCvTUkAUgU7I.png

All 15th anniversary logos are dumb.

Agree and the Wild's reads like an X on top of triangle. The V isn't instantly identifiable.

I guess the Blue Jackets aren't going to release one or maybe they're waiting. Who knows. The Wild had a 5th anniversary logo while the Jackets did not.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yup, that's what I saw too. X on a Triangle.

Anniversaries should be 10, 20, 25, 50, 75, 100.

5, 15, 35, 60, 90 - none of those, thanks.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I don't mind that teams uses every 5 year anniversary logos. That's not bad. But it should stop at 25 at the latest. After that it should be 50, 75, 80, 90, 100, then every 25 years.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Check out a YouTube video called "Montage sur le nouvel Amphitheatre de Quebec". The 3:10 mark is of some interest.

There's a shot of a player in Quebec Nordiques gear, but using a different template (basically the Maple Leafs). Still interesting for sure, though.

Check out a YouTube video called "Montage sur le nouvel Amphitheatre de Quebec". The 3:10 mark is of some interest.

There's a shot of a player in Quebec Nordiques gear, but using a different template (basically the Maple Leafs). Still interesting for sure, though.

Not the same as the Leafs, though. There's a phantom yoke, and there may be some double blue action going on with that sweater.

The Canucks had their annual state of the franchise event last week and someone asked Linden when they are going to ditch the whale. The management team responded saying they have put thought into it and that the home and road jerseys/logo aren't going anywhere. They did however say they are playing with a few different third jersey options and asked the fans if they prefer the stick n rink logo or Johnny.

Then today they posted the following on instagram and asked fans to vote for a or b. Could we be seeing the striping,jersey color and logo of a new third to come next year?

11428110_473382109506943_2024614591_n.jp

I much prefer the blue one. The main stripe should never be the same colour as the rest of the uniform. Great to see that the logo is Johnny Canuck. I also love the striping. The fact that the green doesn't bleed into the blue makes it that much better. Even the silver is a nice touch.

As for the Canucks' state of the union summit, the comment made by the fan who asked Linden the logo question was very spot on. The Canucks need a logo that says "Canucks Hockey" and not a reminder of the previous Orca Bay ownership. What Chief Operating Officer, Victor de Bonis said about the "orca not going anywhere" and what the club will eventually do down the road are entirely two different things. However, the reason he gave for keeping the orca is that "it's what the 25-and-under fans have ever known. The kids, the grandkids". Really?? What a lame excuse for keeping a logo that's irrelevant to the club's name and heritage. He even got out of his chair and bellowed, "WHAT ABOUT FIN? WHAT ABOUT FIN?" Had I been in attendance, I would have told de Bonis that both the Winnipeg Jets and Seattle Mariners have a moose mascot and neither of their logos feature a moose.

Great sports franchises have a brand that represent the majority of their fan base, not one that caters to one particular demographic or two. The majority of a team's fan base is obviously over the age of 25. Those long-time fans need to have their voices heard first. I was 27 at the time when the Canucks ditched the Skate logo. As much as I loved the identity of the '94 Cup finalist team, I was more than accepting to say good-bye to it if Johnny Canuck, the Stick in Rink or even a 'V' logo with "CANUCKS" on the inside had been the new logo. Only to be hugely disappointed that Orca Bay had put it's corporate animal in the Canucks' identity.

Keep in mind too that there are teams that gradually promote a third jersey to primary status. I wouldn't be surprised if de Bonis was simply biting his tongue on what is really going on behind the scenes.

3B6CA465-97FC-4515-843B-FBB80F804CCA_zps

Looks like a light blue jersey with striping like the Devils, in white and navy, and a rounded navy yoke with white outline. At least to me.

Something like this

BradySufat-QUEset.png

The yoke seems to have "incomplete" piping (i.e. like Boston and St. Louis). I'm also not sure if the sleeve stripes are just white or if they are basically copies of Winnipeg (which would give them a triple blue color scheme). No matter what, it's interesting that they already have a mock up. The Nords are definitely ready to go at the drop of a hat (or the gloves), eh?

As for the Canucks, I wish they'd go with this:

CanucksLogo.png

(posted here: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/73529-vancouver-canucks-concept/ )

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Archived