Tony Twist wins lawsuit against Spawn

NJTank

Frivolous...

(The lawsuit that is, I mean I'd heard of Tony Twist--but if you're not an NHL fan, would you have heard of him? Now I could see if the character was named after a big name, like say I wrote a comis and made an unsympathetic nasty character & named him Wayne Gretzky--I could be in trouble)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

As long as this litigation takes up time that McFarlane would otherwise use designing jerseys and logos, I'm all for it!

Well you have a point there...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I have to agree with Twist in this case who is not to say he would have said no if MacFarlane asked him. He shoudl have asked him first since its obvious MacFarlane knew who Twist was.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I actually got to sit in on a few hours of the original trial back in 2000. The difference between a civil suit and a criminal trial is that the celebrity litigants very rarely attend, and that was the case for the times I was observing in court. My understanding from talking with a couple of acquaintances who worked with the firm representing Twist is that this case was brought as a defamation suit because it was the only tenable legal theory upon which they could get damages. Twist believes that the character was definitely based upon his on-ice personna as a "bad guy" and wanted either a royalty or some kind of piece of the action for the appropriation of his rep, but since that would be more difficult to prove, he decided to take the "victim's" route and sue under the theory that (now that Tony Twist is a broadcaster and product endorser in the St. Louis area) the Anthony Twistelli character is defamatory and can negatively impact his present means of making a living.

And that folks, is my small, but hopefully insightful glimpse into this case.

For CCSLC Eyewitness News, I'm Legal Affairs reporter yhollander.

Back to you in the studio, Tank.

Archived