Designing the National Championship (UO Update 1-11-15)

mattb6

So let's face it. The College Football Playoff National Championship, is far short of its potential, design-wise. Of course, I started this before Oregon unveiled the gray and white uniforms this afternoon, but still, Oregon could look better than what they did in the Rose Bowl. Ohio State looked great, better than usual even, but with a few small tweaks I feel as if I created a much more solid set. Also, I haven't created a legit concept on the boards and posted it (altough there's tons on my computer) so I figured this was a good place to start. Introducing the 2015 College Football Playoff National Championship game, by yours truely (made using Inkscape).

preview_zps80fbfdff.png

First up is Rose Bowl Champs Oregon, looking for the school's first National Championship.

inspore_zps2319dd4f.png

I took inspiration from various things associated with Oregon Ducks football. First and foremost, Puddles is seen throughout the uniform, from the sleeves to the helmet. I love the logo, and changed only the color. Oregon's uniforms of the 90s were a big inspiration, as it was the set they wore when they rose to national prominence. They threw back to the set earlier in the year and I absolutely loved them. Oregon's current traditional set, as seen on Marcus Mariota in the bottom right, inspired the look as well. Autzen Stadium and Hayward Field are the inspiration of the current logo, so I included them here. The Ducks' "Win The Day" matra is included on the undershirt and on the back collar. Lastly, I took inspiration from Oregon's SCHOOL COLORS which is such a wonderful combination which isn't showcased near enough.

quackquack_zpsf0a49cce.png

Puddles is featured on the helmet and sleeve in all his glory, and the stripes from the 90s return. The current number font remains, and "OREGON" is represented across the chest. Puddles is at a 27 degree angle on the sleeves to represent Oregon's 27 bowl appearances. The undershirt is self explanatory, featuring the "O" logo with "WIN THE DAY" written inside it with "OREGON FOOTBALL" underneath. The gloves feature the stripes used on the uniform. A classic uniform with a bit of a twist for the Fighting Ducks.

Next up, the Ohio State Buckeyes, looking for an eighth National Championship to bring back to Columbus.

inspoh_zps9b96b80c.png

For Ohio State, the main inspiration was the uniforms of the 1940s. The dropshadow is present thorughout the uniform and the logos, and the Clarendon font is used on the back of the helmet. The sleeve stripes from many of Ohio State's national titles are back, as shown above in the picture from '02. The iconic Scirpt Ohio is the inspiration of one of the wordmarks, and the stained glass "O" at Ohio Stadium is featured as well. The 7 National Titles for Ohio State are represented, and the current pants remain. A bit of an oversized helmet stripe was used, albeit not as large as the Rivalry Set. The black facemask was also taken from the same helmet. And what's an Ohio State helmet without Buckeye stickers?

o-h-i-o_zpsa251f30d.png

The helmet is a traditional Buckeyes helmet, save for the black mask and green stickers. The bumper features the Script Ohio logo. The sleeves feature the traditional striping from back in the day. The numbers have a classic OSU dropshadow, outlined in black to unify the numbers and the stripes. Seven Buckeye stickers are on the back collar to symbolize the 7 national championships. The pants are, well, the same. The undershirt (which I really like) has "Ohio State Athletic Dept." again with 7 seven buckeye stickers. The gloves also feature the buckeye stickers (although 8, which for some reason I didn't think about 7...) (10, I can't count) with the new "O"

Here's a sheet of all the logos used in each concept:

sheet_zps722cdd81.png

Whew! Hope you enjoyed that write-up. Enjoy the game! O-H-

spacer.png

i think the drop is a great added extar. very cool

the o for ohio didn't get the template lines on the gloves

Overlooked that, it's been updated

Those unis look a bit too classic for Oregon. While i still like those, maybe try to incorporate the feathers on the undershirts sleeves. Other than that I like these.

I toyed around with the idea of feathers "stemming" from the "O" on the undershirt, but decided that for the uniform (how classic-like it was) it seemed a bit to modern and out of place.

Thanks for the comments so far, may make full sets for both Oregon and Ohio State. Also, the OP has been updated with the logo sheet I forgot to post.

spacer.png

I think the Oregon script clashes a bit with the number font. I could definitely be mistaken, but I don't remember Oregon wearing that number font with that Oregon script on the front of the jersey. You can sort of tell in the Mariota picture that the script isn't there. A simple "O" on the collar (NOT on a 27 degree angle) would be nice.

Otherwise, I love the Oregon set and especially the use of Puddles. I mean, we all knew that Oregon was going to surprise us for the championship game, but using a classic and timeless logo like Puddles would have been such a better surprise than the no-school-colors catastrophe.

Ohio State looks great IMO. I think the drop shadow looks good too, it makes the uniform feel more classic which is what you were going for.

I'm not really sold on Oregon. This is a great uniform set but I think I'd rather see a more modern take on them for the National Championship. The game already has a New vs. Old feel to it with Oregon representing the new (no Championship wins) and Ohio State representing the old. So I'd rather see a more modern take on Oregon although the set you made does look good.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

While very strong I think for the national championship game Oregon should go for a more modern look. While these uniforms are really well done I think the feather design should be more incorporated into the design. I think the yellow helmet should be kept but with the chrome feathered design that they have used in recent years. The Ohio State uniforms are really nice but I think the numbers don't need a background. I also really like the striping pattern on the Ohio State shoulder.

Also I'm new to this site and have some designs on uniforms I'd really like to post and receive comments on how to improve them but I can't seem to find where to post them. If anyone could tell me where to go to post them I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Carolina Panthers Oakland Athletics Anaheim Ducks Houston Rockets

Thanks everyone for the C+C. I will be revisting Oregon, but I gotta finish my Russell contest design. To address some other things:

The OSU dropshadow probably will not be going, but I'll try it without the dropshadow and see how it looks.

The black facemask would be easier for me to get rid of though, so I'll expierement with gray. I really like the rivarly helmets so I took inspiration from those.

Oregon will have a more modern feel next time you see it, but Puddles probably is staying.

spacer.png

Gorgeous!!!

I would take that OSU set in a heartbeat. Beautiful.

I actually love that drop shadow and number font, sets them apart from most other schools (and updates an already great set).

Beautiful.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Love Oregon, Ohio State is solid too. I count 10 buckeye stickers on the gloves, not 8. or 7.

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

Just a quick update before this falls into the oblivion that is the Concepts form:

I've started Oregon, and the new look is similar to the newest jerseys, but a lot different. Apple Green and yellow are still the prominent colors.

I've tested out a non-dropshadowed OSU (looks inferior in my opinion) and different fonts (Clarendon, standard block).

Expect an update this weekend. Any extra C&C before then would be great!

spacer.png

Archived