Hall of Fame Plaque Caps

OnWis97

The election of Craig Biggio to the Hall of Fame started a discussion of which cap he'd wear. He wore three Houston hats. He had his best years in the blue/gold and most years in the black/brick. But the "H-Star" is now kinda set as the logo that most says "Astros" and Biggio is the only player in as an Astro at this point. That got me thinking about Bert Blyleven. I did not know what was on his plaque. He played eight full seasons (and parts of two others) with the Twins, far more than any other team, so I was pretty sure of that. He started with 5+ years in the "TC". He later played 3+ years in the "M". His plaque has the "M", I suspect because the World Series happened with that hat.

Anyway, I think this is a uniform (and sports in general...so move it if you wish) topic. And I find it interesting. Maddux with a blank cap, Boggs's intent to go with a Devil Rays cap, what Randy Johnson may do, etc.

From a purely uniform perspective, it kinda strengthens my resolve that teams should try to stick with one identity...or at least one "cap" identity. Now we have Kirby Puckett and Bert Blyleven in a cap that may one day be essentially forgotten about. Meanwhile, the same may happen with Biggio (depending on his choice). Of course, even though the Padres can't decide on their identity, the interlocking "SD" has remained consistent (generally; the shape has changed) so this was essentially a non-issue for someone like Tony Gwynn.

My take on Blyleven is that the TC would have made more sense since 1) it is more recognized now and 2) he played more years there...of course Puckett played a few years with it but his career was defined by time in the "M" and I cannot suggest that was the wrong cap.

Find plaques here

Anyway, discuss.

(or don't if it's not interesting)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see what you mean I don't think Bylevin played with the Twins M I think Biggio cap should be the brick red 2000-2012 look

He did play with the "M" but only for 3 years (and a portion of a 4th). He wore the TC longer but won a World Series with the M.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Biggio should go in with the blue/gold hat.

Johnson is a tough one. Played most years with the Mariners but had best years with the Diamondbacks, and when you add in the fact he played for 4 other teams, it wouldn't surprise me if he goes blank like Maddux did.

Johnson should go D-Backs. Best years there.

This makes me think of when Alomar called it quits. He chose Toronto, which wasn't a bad fit for him, but wouldn't have cared had he gone in as a Oriole.

He was a Blue Jay for the majority of his career and won two world series' there. As an Oriole, he's best known for spitting on an umpire. It was a no brainer.

Dave Winfield has a Padres cap, (reason being they drafted him IIRC.) However when I think of him, I think of his years as a yankee. When I think of Biggo, I see him in the world series year uni. Randy Johnson, I'd say his best work was with Arizona, then Seattle.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

I don't think the players should choose. It's generally prettty clear what team a guy established himself with and became a HOFer. In the case of someone like ARod or a guy who moved in his prime it's a little tougher and maybe take his opinion in to consideration, but whoever is making the selection should also write in the team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, if nothing else, here's another case for the Brewers returning to the BiG full time. Both players currently representing the Brewers in Cooperstown (Yount & Molitor) are wearing it, and anyone who played recently with a chance to go in as a Brewer (Braun & Fielder) wore it as well.

Well, if nothing else, here's another case for the Brewers returning to the BiG full time. Both players currently representing the Brewers in Cooperstown (Yount & Molitor) are wearing it, and anyone who played recently with a chance to go in as a Brewer (Braun & Fielder) wore it as well.

Ken Griffey Jr wore a TATC hat - should wear that on his hall plaque? I don't think that anyone really associates those players with the BiG. Maybe if they switch next year and Braun plays at least 5 more awesome years there, but that's about it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ken Griffey Jr wore a TATC hat - should wear that on his hall plaque? I don't think that anyone really associates those players with the BiG. Maybe if they switch next year and Braun plays at least 5 more awesome years there, but that's about it.

The throwbacks have been a regular part of the Brewers' identity for most of the time those guys have been in Milwaukee.... definitely not a TATC situation. And you certainly see more throwback versions of Braun's jersey around town than any version of their "current" look.

I'm not actually the biggest fan of the BiG as a cap logo, but I'd rather not see the mess that the Brewers' identity has become in the past few years follow the team to Cooperstown when it comes time to induct its next HOFer.

But... he spent a comparable period of time with Seattle.

I think that if a player has played a majority of his career (be it by seasons, or games, or whatever yardstick), he shouldn't be offered an option - he goes in with the cap of that club.

If he's spent a relatively even period of time split between two clubs (e.g., 9 years with one, 8 with the other), give him the choice.

If he's bounced around like a racquetball (e.g., Randy Johnson, Al Oliver), blank cap.

nav-logo.png

Dave Winfield has a Padres cap, (reason being they drafted him IIRC.) However when I think of him, I think of his years as a yankee. When I think of Biggo, I see him in the world series year uni. Randy Johnson, I'd say his best work was with Arizona, then Seattle.

I believe Winfield chose the Padres because he's not on good terms with the Yankees.

My thing, with regards to Biggio?

He should, under no circumstances, have the H star as his cap, because he played only for the NL Astros and not the AL Astros franchise, and as such should not bear the logos of the AL team.

medium.jpg?1308352356

1114_biggio.jpg

biggio88.jpg

My pick for Randy Johnson should be a blank cap. He had great years with the Mariners (he and the 1995 saved baseball in Seattle) and with the Diamondbacks. Hard to pick one of the two.

My pick for Pedro Martinez is the Red Sox. He was very good for the Expos but he hit another gear with Boston.

This makes me think of when Alomar called it quits. He chose Toronto, which wasn't a bad fit for him, but wouldn't have cared had he gone in as a Oriole.

He was a Blue Jay for the majority of his career and won two world series' there. As an Oriole, he's best known for spitting on an umpire. It was a no brainer.

Which could be the reason why he didn't go first ballot. At least, that's the opinion that went around Puerto Rico when he didn't get in on the first try.

I see what you mean I don't think Bylevin played with the Twins M I think Biggio cap should be the brick red 2000-2012 look

He did play with the "M" but only for 3 years (and a portion of a 4th). He wore the TC longer but won a World Series with the M.
Oh yeah I forgot he was with the Twins in 1987.

For what it's worth, I'm not certain a player has much say in this at all whatsoever.

Precedent being Gary Carter who pleaded to go in as a Met instead of an Expo (which he did because the HOF said so), mostly because of potential earning power as a HOF NY Met would've been much greater than a HOF Montreal Expo.

So yeah, as far as I know from that, a player can suggest what he wants though at the end of the day it's not their call whatsoever.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived