A more "original" name for the CFP National Championship Game

29texan

The "REMEMBER MEEEEE FOR CENTURRRRIIIIIIEEEEESSSSSSS" Game presented by "LIGHT A MUP MUP MUP"

Why frikken not? Puck rock + college football= pure gold.

Pretty sure that's a hockey thing.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think "National Championship Game" is just fine, but maybe as an unofficial common title it could be refered to as "The Battle for the Cone", since the New Natl. Championship trophy resembles a cone to me.

I don't like the new trophy, btw. The crystal ball was classic and unique and the new one just looks boring and the cone top half and bottom base look awkwardly put together. Perhaps years of history will correct this, but it just doesn't look like a timeless trophy.

ICXC NIKA

They should have kept the crystal football because toothless ESS-EEE-SEE crackers posing with the crystal football in a Wal-Mart was always my favorite part of the college football season. I don't expect the same level of humorous juxtaposition with a cone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They should have kept the crystal football because toothless ESS-EEE-SEE crackers posing with the crystal football in a Wal-Mart was always my favorite part of the college football season. I don't expect the same level of humorous juxtaposition with a cone.

This won't be that different...

Screenshot-2014-11-09-02.58.58-620x330.p

I also thought of this and well, spent more time than i should have contemplating a new name for the NCG. I also tried thinking of a name for the four playoff teams. Gridiron Four, Football Four are a couple of the better ones.

I came up with some more creative names for the NCG.

Champions Bowl: I think this was a one-time replacement for the Sugar Bowl in 2012. But this might work if you want Champion somewhere in the Bowl name.

Bronze Bowl: So, if the Superb Owl is the pinnacle of the NFL, and the Lombardi trophy is silver in color, and the NCG is SB Lite, then Bronze Bowl might fit the name for the NCG. this "saves" gold for olympics or whathaveyou.

Brass Bowl: Moving closer to gold, Brass, and it would also include the brass instruments in the Marching Bands. (Idk, I think I was under cold medication when thinking these names up).

Golden Bowl: Though the humorous, slightly immature nicknames we fans could come up with could prove too much :D

The [insert sponsor name here] FBS Cup.

... but you don't win a cup. You shouldn't call your sporting event [blank] Cup unless you win a cup. Since you win a beer tap, it should be called something like "The McDonald's All-American Big Kegger".

Why even have this discussion? What's wrong with its current name, the CFP National Title Game? We're not harking NCAA basketball for not having a formal name for its national championship (all while the general public simply applies the Final Four logo and moniker as the de facto title of the championship game).

• 2 weeks later...

Are you ready for some Foot Bowl

College Bowl
Super College Bowl
University Bowl
Super University Bowl

Premier College Bowl

College Bowl USA
USA College Bowl
Title Bowl
National Title Bowl

Playoff Bowl
Student-Athlete Bowl

Stay-in-School Bowl
Bowl-a-rama (though I'm sure they won't be able to trademark that)

I'd prefer "The Division IA Bowl" or "The Division I Bowl," but "FBS Bowl" could also work.

Archived