Las Vegas Aces- NHL Expansion

sparkychewbarky

yea now that I think of it, a P-40 logo light be interesting as well. Really cool mascot thought. You never disappoint.

The P-40 with the teeth is an iconic image. Perhaps the Aces should bring that identity into its graphics portfolio.

...It's a pretty awesome image for merchandising purposes. Thanks #1.

Bravo! I was floored by Hockey Hound, the style of it is something I could see die-hard fans getting tattooed.

There's a "Battle Born" logo coming up that would make a great tattoo also, 88.

I hate to keep waxing poetic because I will get accused of not offering anything in the way of constructive criticism but as great as your logo and uniform concepts are...when you do the mascots and merch and the storybook type illustrations, the work as a whole package goes to a whole different level of awesomeness. Both illustrations of Ace are amazing!

Thank you BK. I enjoy doing the whole package on a concept. It keeps me out of trouble.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BrandMooreArt's got a great "minimalistic"-style graphics thread currently on board. (This is the third time that he's been referenced in this thread...He must be good)

Anyway, his stuff looks awesome so I tried to emulate that style in producing some images of the Aces in action...

Lva-70.jpg

Lva-72.jpg

Lva-71.jpg

Fighter Aces and bomber crews will sometimes put "score tallies" on their planes.

Usually each image represents an enemy plane downed, or a successful mission.

Lva-73.jpg

A lot of teams designate a "player of the game".

(Washington's POTG must wear an Abe Lincoln hat and beard).

The Aces could utilize that concept by putting a POTG symbol on a "scorecard" somewhere on the uni.

...Just a little something else to further the identity...

Lva74.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Fighter Aces and bomber crews will sometimes put "score tallies" on their planes.

Lva-73.jpg

The Aces could utilize that concept by putting a POTG symbol on a "scorecard" somewhere on the uni.

Lva74.jpg

Love this. This is the kind of thing I wish teams would do more of. Little touches that indicate stories are being formed by each player's actions.

Perhaps here is where you could incorporate some of the other card suit symbols. If a player gets up into the 40s or 50s, that's going to be a lot of tallies. What if you do something to where once you get five or ten goals, it's represented by a single diamond. Fifty could be a heart, etc. Or maybe the symbols are based on stats. Goals, Assists, points, Goaltender wins would each be its own suit symbol, and you could use an outline for single digits and a filled-in tally for tens. Hat Tricks could have a special indicator. Assists and points are probably too much, but goals, for sure. So many fun things teams could do with this. How cool would it be to just look at a player's pants hem and be able to tell how many home, away, division goals, etc he has, just at a glance.

(Yes, I clearly come down on the Nothing-is-Sacred side of the uni debate.)

This entire thread is a thing of beauty. As for the tallies:

-One spade for every five goals

-One diamond for every five assists

-One club for every ten points

-One heart for every twenty hits

Goalies would get a suit for every... let's say five wins (they would alternate from spade-diamond-club-heart and continue that pattern).

53Ocz8U.png

Sparky, you amaze me always... I want to be your best friend and make jerseys and team identities with you.

I'm glad you went with the Black/White/and Silver/Gray, even if it is very similar to the Kings.

I've been really torn with the jersey stripes being on the shoulders, never been a fan of that look. I prefer to see the stripes on the elbows or lower....BUT...

Lva-71.jpg

Seeing them "in action" here really makes me like the look you went with here. No other team in the NHL has shoulder stripes like that, so while their color scheme wouldn't be unique, they would own a unique look when it comes down to their jersey stripes.

Seems too late to make this suggestion, but perhaps green would make a nice trim color

BrandMooreArt's got a great "minimalistic"-style graphics thread currently on board. (This is the third time that he's been referenced in this thread...He must be good)

Anyway, his stuff looks awesome so I tried to emulate that style in producing some images of the Aces in action...

Lva-71.jpg

Beautiful!

Seeing them "in action" here really makes me like the look you went with here. No other team in the NHL has shoulder stripes like that, so while their color scheme wouldn't be unique, they would own a unique look when it comes down to their jersey stripes.

Seems too late to make this suggestion, but perhaps green would make a nice trim color

Thanks Dbro, they're unique with the shoulder stripes.

With regular arm stripes (below the numbers), they're just a different coloured "Dallas Stars" uniform.

The green probably would look good, but I don't get into too many colours, because I suck at colour combos!

When it comes to colours..."as basic as possible" works for me.

I'm lovign the idea behind the style and the little extras you've added here..... it's beautiful

Beautiful!

awesome! just amazing!

Thanks guys...much more to come.

I'm probably going to be the only negative opinion on this thread, but I have a few things to say. First off, compared to your other work this done not compare whatsoever. To say that you didn't spend as much time on this as others would be true. Maybe..5-10 hours max spent on this? I recommend you take some time and reflect on your work before you post your next update. Spend more time with the fine detail before you think it's 'ready'. Also, everything I just wrote is a lie because this is amazing. Great work, (broken record) once again. Is there anything Sparky can't do?

Any camo ones planned

Here you go biscuit...

Lva-60.jpg

The logo set seems to work better in monochromatic applications as is evident by the black mockups. Maybe you could try going with just one distinct color from head to toe.

Initially Midway, I wanted to go 1 colour...black.

...Just too close to the nearby Kings unfortunately, so I had to go black (the colour of a spade), white, and something.

...Keeping a black & white alt though.

The jersey stripes are perfect. They look just like the invasion stripes crews would paint on their planes in WWII.

JackiesRevenge07.jpg

Thank you JR...and super-Thanks for the above photo.

It's perfect. It captures almost every element that I was trying to work in to the identity...

The script font slogan...the barred star-roundel of the USAF...the "invasion stripes"...

Actually, I just fluked-out on the invasion stripes thing. I was aware of them: I've seen them before,

But I wasn't trying to design them into the look...it just kinda happened.

But now that you mention it...how many teams have "Invasion Striping"?...cool.

The checkerboard design is interesting. That pattern seems to be a favourite with fighter pilots.

I've worked that pattern into the "Tally Sheet" coming up.

Lva-73.jpg

Love this. This is the kind of thing I wish teams would do more of. Little touches that indicate stories are being formed by each player's actions.

Perhaps here is where you could incorporate some of the other card suit symbols. If a player gets up into the 40s or 50s, that's going to be a lot of tallies. What if you do something to where once you get five or ten goals, it's represented by a single diamond. Fifty could be a heart, etc. Or maybe the symbols are based on stats. Goals, Assists, points, Goaltender wins would each be its own suit symbol, and you could use an outline for single digits and a filled-in tally for tens. Hat Tricks could have a special indicator. Assists and points are probably too much, but goals, for sure. So many fun things teams could do with this. How cool would it be to just look at a player's pants hem and be able to tell how many home, away, division goals, etc he has, just at a glance.

(Yes, I clearly come down on the Nothing-is-Sacred side of the uni debate.)

This entire thread is a thing of beauty. As for the tallies:

-One spade for every five goals

-One diamond for every five assists

-One club for every ten points

-One heart for every twenty hits

Goalies would get a suit for every... let's say five wins (they would alternate from spade-diamond-club-heart and continue that pattern).

Thanks for the input on the Tally patches darkp and Jimmy.

I like your ideas on using the different suits, to mean different things.

I guess a factor on how complicated the tallies could be would depend on some "logistics"...how much space it takes up...how large the symbols could be...etc.

Who knows: the players might hate the idea.

But before I move on, I put together a very simplified chart based on your suggestions.

I could see these being small embroidered patches that could be placed on the pants or on the sweater forearm.

Helmet stickers would be cool, but hockey helmets don't have the surface area of empty space that a football helmet has.

I also did black and white versions so the icons could be arranged in rows and columns to suggest a checkerboard. (See JR's post above)

Anyway, it's a small detail, but it would be kinda fun...

Lva-75.jpg

Lva-74.jpg

Some of these are subjective, so a coaching staff could dish out a whack of them or none on any given game.

A player could be awarded 4 or 5 of these if he had a spectacular hat-trick-strong-2-way-game kind of night.

Any camo ones planned

Here you go biscuit...

Lva-60.jpg

The logo set seems to work better in monochromatic applications as is evident by the black mockups. Maybe you could try going with just one distinct color from head to toe.

Initially Midway, I wanted to go 1 colour...black.

...Just too close to the nearby Kings unfortunately, so I had to go black (the colour of a spade), white, and something.

...Keeping a black & white alt though.

Awesome camouflage

28ahpn4.jpg

NbyQSAg.pngODa02WA.pngChTDCVV.png

I recommend you take some time and reflect on your work before you post your next update. Spend more time with the fine detail before you think it's 'ready'. Also, everything I just wrote is a lie because this is amazing.

Thanks MrWonka.

You're right about the time thing. Over the course of a week, I'll have a fair bit of down time between jobs, and on breaks and lunch.

The radio in my work-truck sucks, and I'm trying to stay clear of the coffee shops, so I'll fill up pages of ideas in the ol' sketch pad.

I spend WAY WAY more time on paper than on the box. By the time I hit the keyboard later, I pretty much know exactly what I'm going to do.

Archived