Patriots logo: asymmetric star

_RH_

The good thing about the Pats current logo is that it does look like it was designed for the exact purpose of fitting on a helmet. The problem already mentioned here is that it is too long in all other application. I always disliked the round outline on an otherwise edgy and pointy logo, but when you're dealing with extreme acute angles, like the red streaks here, you have no choice but to either round the outline or have it continue to run to a very wide point which would make this thing even longer. I'd say the rounded outline is better than the alternative option.

As far as the star, 999 out of 1,000 wouldn't even notice its assymetry so I have no complaints there.

That logo admiral posted already looks like it's been doctored up by Ren. Ren takes pre-illustrator logos and sharpens the sloppy angles. That thing already has sharp angles. The head, which is the focal point, takes up too little of the overall composition to be a good logo. Plus it looks like someone just slapped the head on top of the stripes without making them flow together as they do in the current logo.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 4:3 rectangle logo on a round helmet just doesn't look right, IMO. The Bucs sort of do this. Do we really need two rectangle flag-logo teams?

Well, if I were playing God and had the Patriots using the rejected logo, I'd have the Bucs using the pirate ship in Bucco Bruce colors, like so:

QROVCpf.png

Though I realize this is not a popular opinion, even with the Bucs' new uniforms being as reviled as they are.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Tom+Brady+Houston+Texans+v+New+England+P

This is off topic, but I don't understand some of the hate for these uniforms. Now that they've gotten rid of the side panels, I don't think it's a bad look. I wish the pants had a little more sheen, but still I don't think these are horrible.

What side panels did they get rid of? The red piping is still there. Still there on the white jerseys too.

Yeah, Patriot's jerseys have remain unchanged since 2000. I think next year the wordmark above the front numbers will go to the new style but that's about it. The side panels are still there.

ya8qoagwzweacwl1431mhfsef.gif

Maybe I'm the only person who likes this logo better, but this gives you the same concept as the Flying Elvis without looking like a little smudge. Nice 4:3 ratio, or close.

this makes me want to buy insurance

I buy robot insurance from them--it's only $4/month and there's no health check up or age consideration.

i actually like the logo, but bigger issues with it have already been brought up; the key line and it's sometimes odd primary application (helmet).

6964066.jpg

in the above example it works really well. it might be better without the white key line but it fits on the helmet well, flows well around the shape of the helmet and occupies it's space with a sense of strength. there's no large, empty space on the helmet. to put it simply, there's nothing "wrong" about it

My "fix" to the flying Elvis would be:

1. Remove the face from the logo completely (leaving just the star in blue field with red stripes trailing)

2. Enlarge the rest of the logo on the helmet and arc it slightly more so that it flows along the contour of the helmet shape

This is off topic, but I don't understand some of the hate for these uniforms. Now that they've gotten rid of the side panels, I don't think it's a bad look. I wish the pants had a little more sheen, but still I don't think these are horrible.

What side panels did they get rid of? The red piping is still there. Still there on the white jerseys too.

Yeah, Patriot's jerseys have remain unchanged since 2000. I think next year the wordmark above the front numbers will go to the new style but that's about it. The side panels are still there.

I thought they had side panels with a different color on their jerseys. I guess I was wrong. I only watch the Patriots during the playoffs, and only then with hopes they lose. So yesterday, I watched them for the first time this season and didn't think they looked bad, and not deserving of some of the comments I read on here. In general, I don't like piping on football uniforms, but I don't think the Pats' piping is too busy.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I thought they had side panels with a different color on their jerseys. I guess I was wrong. I only watch the Patriots during the playoffs, and only then with hopes they lose. So yesterday, I watched them for the first time this season and didn't think they looked bad, and not deserving of some of the comments I read on here. In general, I don't like piping on football uniforms, but I don't think the Pats' piping is too busy.
Pats piping hasn't changed. Its much more noticeable on white jersey with blue side panels. Just screams early 2000's. The blue jersey just had red piping on sides, not great but not that noticeable.

I always felt pats logo looks good on helmet but horrible on hats. Need a secondary logo in a big way. I always liked the NE logo and they have a number of items with that logo at their pro shop.

I always felt pats logo looks good on helmet but horrible on hats. Need a secondary logo in a big way. I always liked the NE logo and they have a number of items with that logo at their pro shop.

I like that logo too. Would make a great sleeve patch. I wish they would use it more.

1. Remove the face from the logo completely (leaving just the star in blue field with red stripes trailing)

2. Enlarge the rest of the logo on the helmet and arc it slightly more so that it flows along the contour of the helmet shape

Don't mind the crudeness of my rendering, but something like this?

n20h37.jpg

bufg.png

n20h37.jpg

Yes. But keep the star and maybe arc it a bit more to follow the curve of the helmet?

It's not a bad idea, but it looks too much like it's trying to be wings. It would work if they were the patriots and their logo was an american bald eagle or something, but it's not (and eagles are already spoken for.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

n20h37.jpg

If the Eagles didn't have the wings on their helmet, I would be 1,000% on board with this.

ya8qoagwzweacwl1431mhfsef.gif

Maybe I'm the only person who likes this logo better, but this gives you the same concept as the Flying Elvis without looking like a little smudge. Nice 4:3 ratio, or close.

this makes me want to buy insurance

I buy robot insurance from them--it's only $4/month and there's no health check up or age consideration.
Best of all, you can keep your robot.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

n20h37.jpg

If the Eagles didn't have the wings on their helmet, I would be 1,000% on board with this.

I think simply adding back the star and having the form arc would solve any resemblance to the Eagles.

n20h37.jpg

I think simply adding back the star and having the form arc would solve any resemblance to the Eagles.

I agree add back the star, arc it slightly and it is 100x better than the flying elvis I have hated since the killed off Pat.

(in reply the 'team from NY' because evidently, whenever I direct reply at this site the original post is never pasted, for contextual purposes)

The Patriots' alternate whites with red look nothing like the Giants.

86-StanleyMorgan(397x594).jpg

They could touch those up... looks like they only wear red throwbacks any more.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

n20h37.jpg

I agree add back the star, arc it slightly and it is 100x better than the flying elvis I have hated since the killed off Pat.

If they were a college team, this probably would have happened already.

(in reply the 'team from NY' because evidently, whenever I direct reply at this site the original post is never pasted, for contextual purposes)

The Patriots' alternate whites with red look nothing like the Giants.

A heavy White and red road look, with blue, would look a lot like the Giants. The Giants are pretty much blue and gray at home, white and red on the road (save for the blue helmet).

Which is why I posted my comment.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

i actually like the logo, but bigger issues with it have already been brought up; the key line and it's sometimes odd primary application (helmet).

6964066.jpg

in the above example it works really well. it might be better without the white key line but it fits on the helmet well, flows well around the shape of the helmet and occupies it's space with a sense of strength. there's no large, empty space on the helmet. to put it simply, there's nothing "wrong" about it

now on Brady's helmet it's a different story. i agree the silhouette of the logo flows well over the helmet and has qualities of the Chargers' bolt. but the warping of the logo creates a bit of a different illusion, plus you have this large empty space below it which is just annoying to me. i think why it looks so wrong is because you're used to seeing it flat, even on the jersey sleeve. every other application has a different visual flow to it and this helmet application is very different. the Broncos logo also suffers sometimes from the same problem.

The logo is only placed awkwardly high on the old school style helmets.. it looks from the top that the decals are only about 3" apart on the old style, but on the newer styles, the decals are much lower, well-centered, and from a top view are more like 6" apart. A side view of a revolution speed looks much better than the older style like Brady normally wears.

Archived