Football Rules that Need to Change

OnWis97

CFL field does allow for more space compared to NFL; akin to NHL vs. int'l hockey rink size.

Keep in mind there are smaller, more darting like players in the CFL. A greater percentage of CFL players are probably more athletic than the same % on a regular down NFL series.

I tried to find a CFL gif as highlight, naturally most of them are follies or hits... here's a regular passing play into the secondary, with its wider space...

Chad-Johnson-CFL-GIF.gif

Naturally it's a Chad Johnson gif because that's what was most requested online I suppose.

Basically, an extra receiver (usually in the slot I guess right?) & an extra d-man in the secondary.

CFL takes castoff NCAA players yes, but not hulking slugs of players... the CFL is a track meet but smaller players don't kill each other as often. There seems to be a lot more out patterns (east/west passes) than I see in the NFL, which of course happen to be less hazardous to receivers & secondaries alike.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Institute a new "we're on to you" rule that would allow referees to immediately flag the Patriots when they start doing new gimmicky stuff no one else has thought of but we're all sure is illegal.

It would be a lot of fun: *whistle* "We're on to you, number 12, offense. 15 yard penalty, and don't try that :censored: again."

http://deadspin.com/ben-roethlisberger-says-the-patriots-defense-bent-the-r-1730032314

Watching the Patriots is joyless. I don't care if they're the smartest team in the league (they are). All their games come down to weird tech malfunctions, odd interpretations of the rule book, and smug interviews after the inevitable win.

We would have all been done a favor had the Patriots really been done after that KC game last year. The whole mania around their games is intolerable.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Institute a new "we're on to you" rule that would allow referees to immediately flag the Patriots when they start doing new gimmicky stuff no one else has thought of but we're all sure is illegal.

It would be a lot of fun: *whistle* "We're on to you, number 12, offense. 15 yard penalty, and don't try that :censored: again."

http://deadspin.com/ben-roethlisberger-says-the-patriots-defense-bent-the-r-1730032314

Watching the Patriots is joyless. I don't care if they're the smartest team in the league (they are). All their games come down to weird tech malfunctions, odd interpretations of the rule book, and smug interviews after the inevitable win.

We would have all been done a favor had the Patriots really been done after that KC game last year. The whole mania around their games is intolerable.

Also, even with that suspension thrown out, there is nothing Tom Brady can do about people still calling him a cheater.

Sports are kinda boring on the surface. You need heels and story lines, just like wwe. Watching a bunch of meatheads run fast and hit each other in the head isn't particularly entertaining on its own (at least to me). The Patriots are the Ric Flair of this generation, and I love it. I mean k hate that they cheated and beat the Egles in the SB, but I think it's great how arrogant and dismissive they are about it.

If we stop taking these things so seriously it's much easier to enjoy (with the possible exception of watching the Eagles during the Reid/ McNabb regime - there was nothing enjoyable about those two).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I feel like some of these problems in American football could be solved if players knew how to properly tackle.

How are we supposed to "teach proper tackling", but also have far fewer full contact practices? That's not a solution that's going to work long term. The game has to change in a bigger way.

Assess a 15-yard penalty against any team who brings down a ball carrier by any means other than a one- or two-hand "wrap around" tackle. You hit someone with a shoulder block to take them out of bounds? Tack on 15 yards. You level a receiver in the middle of the field without making a "wrap around" tackle? 15 yards.

nav-logo.png

I feel like some of these problems in American football could be solved if players knew how to properly tackle.

How are we supposed to "teach proper tackling", but also have far fewer full contact practices? That's not a solution that's going to work long term. The game has to change in a bigger way.

Assess a 15-yard penalty against any team who brings down a ball carrier by any means other than a one- or two-hand "wrap around" tackle. You hit someone with a shoulder block to take them out of bounds? Tack on 15 yards. You level a receiver in the middle of the field without making a "wrap around" tackle? 15 yards.

Sounds extreme but it just might work.

Mac the Knife, your last post is extreme and I strongly disagree with it. If you're going to do all of that, then just go all the way and turn the NFL into a two-hand-touch or flag football league and be done with it. Then I and those of us football fans who loved what the NFL was and who still love football will quit watching. It won't even be worth watching anymore. The NFL is already close to being unwatchable with the rules enforcing soft play and with the bad uniforms that are increasing throughout the league.

:blink:

So if you don't like "soft play", then you should be encouraging tackling, no?

Mac wants to bring the NFL back to its hard-nosed roots. I don't see what the problem could possibly be for those "football fans who loved what the NFL was" because "what the NFL was" was a league of solid fundamentals executed consistently. Instead of the sloppy play we have now encouraging injury.

Yes, the NFL was solid fundamentals, AND it was physical, hard-nosed play along with athletic beauty and gracefulness, even a little physical humor. That's how it became so popular. Taking the aggressive physicality out of football is like taking all of the hitting out of boxing.

Encouraging proper tacking is hardly "taking the aggressive physicality" out of the sport. Quite the opposite, actually.

There's far more aggressive physicality in wrapping up a great tackle than in just running into someone. More athletic beauty and gracefulness, too.

Archived