Question about Oregons uniforms

damnyoutuesday

Their identity is that wing helmet. A revolutionary concept on a revolutionary team. Never has a uniform captured the true identity of a team and their style of play than the wing helmets and wing jerseys.

They gussied up something teams have been doing since the 40s or 50s, depending on how you want to count. Not exactly "revolutionary".

The only helmet that was ever even close was the Eagles. However, Philly had much smaller and detailed wings. It was always an awesome helmet, but not awe inspiring... if that makes sense. They looked cool... they looked cute.

The Oregon wings are minimalist. They are big. They invoke the wings on Thor's helmet. They are aggressive. When you pair that with wing pattern on the shoulders, along with the original Bellotti Bold font, and the introduction of gray and volt... it was revolutionary.

No way. As others have said these design elements existed before and in some cases 5 decades before. The ducks weren't even the 1st team to put wings on their shoulders as I know at least the Iowa Barnstormers had that look in the 90's. All that was done was repackaging existing elements to fit the oregon design language. There's nothing wrong with what they did but it's not an original idea, just marketed as such.

That's all fine and well... but this look, these style elements coming together have made it THEIR identity. No one thinks of the Iowa Barnstorms where you see wing shoulder pads... or when you see a wing helmet. You think the Oregon Ducks.

Nope. The helmet wings aren't revolutionary, because teams have been using the same basic idea since the 40's, you can't mix that with everything else and call it revolutionary by itself. Sure, when a person sees the helmet they think "Ducks", but the same goes for the Eagles. And the Rams and Bengals.

Their identity is that wing helmet. A revolutionary concept on a revolutionary team. Never has a uniform captured the true identity of a team and their style of play than the wing helmets and wing jerseys.

princeton%20helmet.gifmichigan-69-75.gif

I know what you meant, but "winged helmet" has a certain connotation and Oregon certainly didn't invent it.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

This is what I think, and it might be crazy, but Oregon won't change much more than they have. If at most they add a white Mach Speed jersey with team colors, which they actually have, but avoid using. What would be nice is a kelly green satin wing helmet.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

This is what I think, and it might be crazy, but Oregon won't change much more than they have. If at most they add a white Mach Speed jersey with team colors, which they actually have, but avoid using. What would be nice is a kelly green satin wing helmet.

They used the one white Mach Speed jersey they have 3 times this year: at home vs. South Dakota and on the road vs UCLA and Cal.

They used the one white Mach Speed jersey they have 3 times this year: at home vs. South Dakota and on the road vs UCLA and Cal.

My bad. Use more of that uniform.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

No, you were right the first time, that mach speed jersey is green & gray. I'm pretty sure you were thinking of a green and yellow one right?

No, you were right the first time, that mach speed jersey is green & gray. I'm pretty sure you were thinking of a green and yellow one right?

No he's right. they have the black/yellow and green/grey ones.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

No he's right. they have the black/yellow and green/grey ones.

Oh okay.... thought you were talking about a green/yellow one, which I don't believe they have.

Archived