College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

Traditional stripes are definitely not a thing of the past. Adidas could have done it without the slashes and it would have looked good. Ohio State, Florida, Texas, et al, all have traditional stripes.

Those aren't "traditional stripes" though. Traditionally, those stripes existed because they wrapped around a sleeve. Now they're just a design on top of the one remaining visible side of the sleeve. The only way you can have "traditional stripes" is by moving them to undersleeves, such as Oregon State did with this uniform:

OregonState_stripes1.jpg

What year is this picture from? That uniform is brilliant

2010. I think it was only used for the Civil War game against Oregon.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This definitely scares me as an Arizona State fan. It pretty much shows that even if what they came up with for the Devils is remotely cool, they'll just ultimately ruin it with those downright hideous slashes.

My fear as well. These 1000 slashes across the uniform will probably happen and one of them will be across Sparky...

Or make them look like the LA Kiss

As for the stripes on the pants and sleeves not matching the helmet, that isn't an adidas thing. That is a Miami thing

miami-hurricanes-warren-sapp-canton-ohio

ncf_u_mirvints_200.jpg

As I'm reading the opinions of more and more people ITT, I'm surprised at how many of you are nostalgic for these 80s-90s uniforms. It's gotta be because of the teams that wore them, right? Or do yall genuinely believe that a uniform made up of mismatching stripes in every part of its set (helmet, jersey, pants) looks amazing? White, orange, and dark green are a sexy color combination, but all those different stripes just look sloppy.

And come on, everyone who just wants a throwback to these uniforms: when will yall realize that traditional sleeve stripes are a relic of a past era of actual football sleeves? I know a lot of yall are clinging to those stripes designs because of warm memories from way back when, but eventually yall have to wake up and look at the size of modern sleeves:

canes.JPG

Now, I'm not gonna try and defend that 2014 set ^ because it was such a radical departure from what Nike had done for decades, and some of the combinations--a symptom of modern college football mix&match philosophy--looked garish.

I want you to compare this upcoming Adidas look that yall are trying to defend to what Nike had been developing pre-2014 though. (c.f. Adidas's sets here, here, and here.) I'll be ignoring the alternates Nike created for Miami, since we're focusing on Miami's regular set ITT, even though I like a lot of the ideas Nike had for those alternates--which may be unpopular opinions of mine, since most of those uniforms were pretty controversial. Click on the images below if you want to view them full-size.

1999-2003

DmeVPKf.jpg

2004-2006

mCHmwOl.jpg

2007-2012

ZQdgcKg.jpg

That progression of striping was calculated, unique, and modern in a way ahead of its time. Nike unfortunately blew it all up in 2014, and I think resentment from that is fueling some people's embracement of Adidas's return to the old design (in a horrible template), but I think plenty of yall just never liked Miami's modernization of Miami, and for that I'm a little confused. Do yall really want football uniforms to be designed with the same striping forever?

Those early 2000 jerseys are so busy but I love them, they managed to make all of that action going on on the jerseys remain sleek.

The 04 set was severely underrated. Imo that's how you do piping right. I think those were cut short because Nike used evolutions of that template for a lot of schools and so it watered down miamis brand.

As for the stripes on the pants and sleeves not matching the helmet, that isn't an adidas thing. That is a Miami thing

miami-hurricanes-warren-sapp-canton-ohio

ncf_u_mirvints_200.jpg

As I'm reading the opinions of more and more people ITT, I'm surprised at how many of you are nostalgic for these 80s-90s uniforms. It's gotta be because of the teams that wore them, right? Or do yall genuinely believe that a uniform made up of mismatching stripes in every part of its set (helmet, jersey, pants) looks amazing? White, orange, and dark green are a sexy color combination, but all those different stripes just look sloppy.

And come on, everyone who just wants a throwback to these uniforms: when will yall realize that traditional sleeve stripes are a relic of a past era of actual football sleeves? I know a lot of yall are clinging to those stripes designs because of warm memories from way back when, but eventually yall have to wake up and look at the size of modern sleeves:

canes.JPG

Now, I'm not gonna try and defend that 2014 set ^ because it was such a radical departure from what Nike had done for decades, and some of the combinations--a symptom of modern college football mix&match philosophy--looked garish.

I want you to compare this upcoming Adidas look that yall are trying to defend to what Nike had been developing pre-2014 though. (c.f. Adidas's sets here, here, and here.) I'll be ignoring the alternates Nike created for Miami, since we're focusing on Miami's regular set ITT, even though I like a lot of the ideas Nike had for those alternates--which may be unpopular opinions of mine, since most of those uniforms were pretty controversial. Click on the images below if you want to view them full-size.

1999-2003

DmeVPKf.jpg

2004-2006

mCHmwOl.jpg

2007-2012

ZQdgcKg.jpg

That progression of striping was calculated, unique, and modern in a way ahead of its time. Nike unfortunately blew it all up in 2014, and I think resentment from that is fueling some people's embracement of Adidas's return to the old design (in a horrible template), but I think plenty of yall just never liked Miami's modernization of Miami, and for that I'm a little confused. Do yall really want football uniforms to be designed with the same striping forever?

Those early 2000 jerseys are so busy but I love them, they managed to make all of that action going on on the jerseys remain sleek.

The 04 set was severely underrated. Imo that's how you do piping right. I think those were cut short because Nike used evolutions of that template for a lot of schools and so it watered down miamis brand.

Traditional stripes are definitely not a thing of the past. Adidas could have done it without the slashes and it would have looked good. Ohio State, Florida, Texas, et al, all have traditional stripes.

Those aren't "traditional stripes" though. Traditionally, those stripes existed because they wrapped around a sleeve. Now they're just a design on top of the one remaining visible side of the sleeve. The only way you can have "traditional stripes" is by moving them to undersleeves, such as Oregon State did with this uniform:

OregonState_stripes1.jpg

We obviously have different definitions of traditional stripes. I don't limit the definition of traditional stripes to "full wrap-around stripes" because even 20 or 30 years ago stripes didn't necessarily wrap all the way around the sleeve.

1988oklahomastatedisplayimage.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

OregonState_stripes1.jpg

We obviously have different definitions of traditional stripes. I don't limit the definition of traditional stripes to "full wrap-around stripes" because even 20 or 30 years ago stripes didn't necessarily wrap all the way around the sleeve.

1988oklahomastatedisplayimage.jpg

Same here. Stripes are stripes whether they are on full sleeves, cap sleeves or shoulders.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Am I the only one that thinks Kansas can get away with some chrome? Now I agree chrome numbers are overkill, and chrome silver has no place in their color scheme, but the blue and red they use looks GORGEOUS in chrome. Now that red uni they used last year? Ridiculous. But I do think that Kansas can pull chrome off a lot of the time. Did I say chrome enough times? Chrome.

I'm kind of at the point that I want to barge into an Adidas board meeting, scream "YOU ALL SUCK!", tip someone's water glass over, and leave. Would it likely solve anything? No. Would I feel better and satisfied about getting it all out, though? I think so. After I got drug out by security of course :P

I've never seen a single manufacturer wreck teams' looks like Adidas. Even Russell - to my knowledge - doesn't have stupid patterns and treads on their cuts that claim to be "functional" but really don't need to be there. And they sure as heck haven't destroyed UCLA or gave Louisville, of all teams, possibly the worst helmet in college football history. And heck, Kansas is just about shot now.

Rant over.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'm kind of at the point that I want to barge into an Adidas board meeting, scream "YOU ALL SUCK!", tip someone's water glass over, and leave. Would it likely solve anything? No. Would I feel better and satisfied about getting it all out, though? I think so. After I got drug out by security of course :P

I've never seen a single manufacturer wreck teams' looks like Adidas. Even Russell - to my knowledge - doesn't have stupid patterns and treads on their cuts that claim to be "functional" but really don't need to be there. And they sure as heck haven't destroyed UCLA or gave Louisville, of all teams, possibly the worst helmet in college football history. And heck, Kansas is just about shot now.

Rant over.

They recently hired two of Nike's top team sports designers. From what I understand, they have a non-compete period, but when that's over we will hopefully see some improvement.

Like I've said before, approving this stuff is on the schools. If Miami didn't want the slashes in the stripes, they wouldn't be there.

Rant over.

They recently hired two of Nike's top team sports designers. From what I understand, they have a non-compete period, but when that's over we will hopefully see some improvement.

Like I've said before, approving this stuff is on the schools. If Miami didn't want the slashes in the stripes, they wouldn't be there.

But it might only be the best option of a bunch of crappy options. I realize that for many schools, they can just decide to keep what they're wearing if the new uniforms are trash, but in the case of Miami, they switched vendors. Adidas could have offered them Slug Soup, Horse Turds or Elephant Diarrhea. They chose the least terrible one.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Rant over.

Doesn't mean they don't look terrible, it doesn't matter if they approved it. The Buccaneers approved their abominations and they are still universally loathed

Archived