College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the helmet looks pretty cool

It looks great...up close. From more than 3' it'll just look like a bowling ball.

Unlike Miami U's helmet which looks like a Bowling ball no matter where you look. ;)

Also here's a new helmet for D-III Wilington (OH)

26Z1qRXT.jpg

You mean Wilmington?

yes, yes I do mean Wilmington!

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

I'm still on board with this SDSU look. It is probably my favorite helmet behind Oregon's stockpile. It has some character to it, and I'm a sucker for intricate details.

From a quick Google search:

How many minutes do they actually play in a football game?

1. An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes.
The rest of the time is filled with slow-motion replays, up close shots of the players between snaps, and analysis. Not to mention it is so unique, they will likely go out of their way to highlight its features. The Aztec calendar will get plenty of screentime. I'm okay with not being able to make out the details of it for 11 minutes. :)
Being at the game, yeah, you won't be able to really see the detail that goes into it. But that's okay with me. It's the thought that counts. ;)

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

FSU had a black alternate, of course. They just haven't worn it.

2245867728_ee734d3cd0_o.jpg

you were saying...

Sorry. I meant that they've not worn the black uniforms from the current set. Although, you could have used a non-photoshopped picture to prove your point.

FSU had a black alternate, of course. They just haven't worn it.

2245867728_ee734d3cd0_o.jpg

you were saying...

Sorry. I meant that they've not worn the black uniforms from the current set. Although, you could have used a non-photoshopped picture to prove your point.

What do you mean non-photoshopped? They wore those uniforms in 2006.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Yes, they did. But this picture is a photoshop that someone did before the first time they were the uniforms. See that orange helmet in the background? Behind Leon Washington's arm? they wore black against BC and Duke. Also, the "Unconquered" on the leg is too small. This is a photoshopped image.

Yes, they did. But this picture is a photoshop that someone did before the first time they were the uniforms. See that orange helmet in the background? Behind Leon Washington's arm? they wore black against BC and Duke. Also, the "Unconquered" on the leg is too small. This is a photoshopped image.

Happy now?

v63osfyi1.jpg

SDSU looks fantastic, that's a top notch look. Will it be used as an alternate to go along with the previous set or will this be the primary? Also wish they would not have dropped gold.

I personally don't mind detailing on helmets and uniforms that can't be seen in person. Here's my reasoning:

Back in the day, going to games in person was your primary avenue for seeing your football team. Seldom were games shown on TV, where the picture was terrible. You either were there, listened on radio, or saw the print in the papers the next day. At that time, you want the uniforms to be simple -- readable numbers, maybe even numbers on helmets, simple, bold lettering, etc.

Some of those still hold true. As a media person myself, I'm very nitpicky about legible numbers at games. I've even emailed some high school coaches in the past letting them know spotters and media were complaining about not being able to read their white numbers on white jerseys and their response being, "Well, sorry, I didn't really think about that."

But as consumers, we see college football up close and personal on a regular basis. Television contracts, high definition picture...Instagram...these are channels of exposure where these hyper-detailed uniforms belong. Close up shots on your HD TV are going to reveal the SDSU design to the vast majority.

My only nitpick with SDSU is I wish the boldness of the detail in the helmet matched that on the shoulders.. I have no preference for which is used, I just want them to be the same.. My only other nitpick would normally be the red numbers on the black jersey, but with such a red-heavy uniform, I guess it fits the overall uniform better (although I'd probably still prefer white), but all-in-all, this is a great uniform for SDSU, who normally pushes the envelope a bit with design, but finally landed a keeper!

I can't decide if I love or hate those San Diego State uniforms. The helmets definitely need two alterations though: the stripe would work better either with a uniform width or a much narrower back; and the logo sticker on the back has to go. It's a pointless addition that looks really out of place.

- Minnesota Twins - Minnesota Golden Gophers - Dallas Stars - Dallas Mavericks - Norwich City FC -

- Texas Tech Red Raiders - FC DallasMinnesota Vikings - Borussia Dortmund -

I suppose I get the reasoning for the shape of the helmet stripe but it still looks odd. In fact, I'm not sure it's got staying power even though I want it to.

I'm curious to see how the calendar shows up the fan versions of these what with the longer sleeves.

Midway.png

It's probably too late to bandwagon, but Hawaii could easily rock something similar to SDSU with a tribal pattern. This kind of look might be even cooler in their shades of black and dark green.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived