buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

Illinois finally updated the I at midfield to the new one they got in their rebrand last year.

5VLs6iU.jpg

fJblehD.jpg

Hopefully they emphasize the orange and get rid of their Penn State homage uniforms. The B1G needs some color variety.

When the B1G expanded with Maryland and Rutgers, they had to move away from the Legends and Leaders divisions. Before settling on East/West, I suggested they go Reds/No Reds. It's surprisingly balanced, competitively, as it splits OSU+NEB / MICH+PSU (which they did originally with Legends and Leaders to balance the divisions), plus it splits WISC / MSU and even MINN / IOWA to keep things relatively equal across the board.

Of course there would need to be some protected crossover games.

Reds: Ohio State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers

No Reds: Michigan, Mich. State, Penn State, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue

It's unpopular among the fanbase and alumni, but I think Illinois' shield logo is terrible. First off, it looks awkwardly drawn. The "hat" part at the top should be thicker. It's superfluous. There is no significance in having a shield. The shape doesn't represent anything. The orange stripes don't represent anything. It's just kinda like "uh, that's inspiring and vaguely patriotic. Go with that." People claimed that the shield represented the Hallene Gateway while cleverly using negative space to make the "I," but they don't understand what negative space is.

So after two years of research, the Nike rebrand gave them the same I but with random curves, a shield, italicized wordmarks which look awful and pay homage to an era that needs no homage, and gray uniforms just because. And of course, because the school didn't significantly change the logo, merchandise is still being produced with the old logo in incorrect colors (Tennessee orange and any shade of blue ranging from light navy to denim). Overall it was a huge faceplant.

The rebrand should have just been the block I with a single outline that was used consistently across the board and getting the colors right. That should have been the focal point. The I was never used consistently. Sometimes it had no outline, sometimes 1, some times 2, and it'd be orange with a white outline on blue, but then white with an orange outline on something else.

I mean, I could live with the new word mark even though its not my favorite if that was the only flaw in the rebrand but its not. Nearly every part of it was bad. The shield and the round inside corners make no sense. The only way that it's (the round corners) been a benefit is that I can tell when something is using the new logo vs. an older one...which I'm starting to believe may have been the main reason for doing it.

I am happy I don't have to look at the awful double outline I with the ILLINOIS superimposed over it.

I think they should have gone with this option instead (and yes, this is an actual submission - you can't make this up)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.392862314123441.92732.198869786856029&type=3

On further review, I'm convinced the only reason they couldn't use it was that they were unable to reach a licensing deal for using Trogdor in the lower wordmark.

886910_433941600015512_1941726898_o.jpg

I think they should have gone with this option instead (and yes, this is an actual submission - you can't make this up)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.392862314123441.92732.198869786856029&type=3

On further review, I'm convinced the only reason they couldn't use it was that they were unable to reach a licensing deal for using Trogdor in the lower wordmark.

The S is for Sucks

The rebrand should have just been the block I with a single outline that was used consistently across the board and getting the colors right. That should have been the focal point. The I was never used consistently. Sometimes it had no outline, sometimes 1, some times 2, and it'd be orange with a white outline on blue, but then white with an orange outline on something else.

I mean, I could live with the new word mark even though its not my favorite if that was the only flaw in the rebrand but its not. Nearly every part of it was bad. The shield and the round inside corners make no sense. The only way that it's (the round corners) been a benefit is that I can tell when something is using the new logo vs. an older one...which I'm starting to believe may have been the main reason for doing it.

I am happy I don't have to look at the awful double outline I with the ILLINOIS superimposed over it.

To make it even more confusing, the new I doesn't have the curved inside corners when no outline is used. It's just a standard block I.

The S is for Sucks

Those aren't consummate v's.

To be fair, they could have hired Strong Sad and employed some chiaroscuro shading.

Just got this in my alumni e mail. Odd, but ok I guess.

1C88738E-211D-4745-A921-E2EA3F1ABAE4.png

11882304_939940339378393_573049663917528

Another detail related to ASU's Special Unis...however my lips are sealed.

To along with the helmet that was posted earlier in the thread, here are West Florida's uniforms, which were revealed today:

PENSACOLA, Fla. – The University of West Florida football team has unveiled the program's first official uniforms. The uniforms will feature four different combinations for home and away, with the primary home uniform featuring a royal blue jersey with white pants and the primary away uniform featuring a white jersey with grey pants.

"When you see our uniforms you see the University of West Florida," UWF football offensive coordinator Jammie Deese said. "It is a jersey that our players are going to be excited about and I feel like it will resonate with our alumni, the student body and the members of the Pensacola community."

The uniform will include a Nike Modified Gunner Game Jersey with Nike Modified Gunner Game Pants, along with royal blue Nike Vapor Pro Low Cut and Nike Alpha Pro 2 3/4 cleats with black accents with a white Nike logo on the sides.

"I don't think I settled in on my top three designs until about six months into the design process," Deese said. "From there it was just making a decision on what we felt would fit the university and at the same time represent our players and make them excited as well. At one point in time I probably had 45 different uniform combinations that I was working with and I probably had about 70 helmet designs."

Full Story: http://goargos.com/news/2015/8/14/FB_0814154027.aspx

Link to picture gallery: http://goargos.com/galleries/?gallery=213

Not a fan... just blah.

Hawaii new uniforms for 2015

After seeing the detailed photos on Facebook, I still feel mixed on the new look. Need to see them in action.11866454_883470285078263_873706719287554

It also looks like they moved over to the new UA football uniform template.

To along with the helmet that was posted earlier in the thread, here are West Florida's uniforms, which were revealed today:

PENSACOLA, Fla. – The University of West Florida football team has unveiled the program's first official uniforms. The uniforms will feature four different combinations for home and away, with the primary home uniform featuring a royal blue jersey with white pants and the primary away uniform featuring a white jersey with grey pants.

"When you see our uniforms you see the University of West Florida," UWF football offensive coordinator Jammie Deese said. "It is a jersey that our players are going to be excited about and I feel like it will resonate with our alumni, the student body and the members of the Pensacola community."

The uniform will include a Nike Modified Gunner Game Jersey with Nike Modified Gunner Game Pants, along with royal blue Nike Vapor Pro Low Cut and Nike Alpha Pro 2 3/4 cleats with black accents with a white Nike logo on the sides.

"I don't think I settled in on my top three designs until about six months into the design process," Deese said. "From there it was just making a decision on what we felt would fit the university and at the same time represent our players and make them excited as well. At one point in time I probably had 45 different uniform combinations that I was working with and I probably had about 70 helmet designs."

Full Story: http://goargos.com/news/2015/8/14/FB_0814154027.aspx

Link to picture gallery: http://goargos.com/galleries/?gallery=213

Not a fan... just blah.

It's a D2 school. What do you expect?

Hawaii new uniforms for 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed-CjXgQAtA

After seeing the detailed photos on Facebook, I still feel mixed on the new look. Need to see them in action.11866454_883470285078263_873706719287554

It also looks like they moved over to the new UA football uniform template.

Needs a rainbow on the sleeve
They really do. I was there last month and I bought some UH gear. The new stuff looks good, but it does need a rainbow, even if it's just a small secondary logo.

So out of curiosity I decided to do a rough mock-up of what the black nike "shir-seys" would look like for Alabama. I still find it extremely hard to believe that the teams will actually roll out these jerseys but I thought it would be fun just to see what it might look like on the field.

Jake%20Coker_zpsjyjz6hl6.png

Not really a fan of it, I wouldn't hate the idea of a black jersey maybe for one game for Alabama but I don't think I'd want it to look like that^ especially not the crimson numbers, if they were gonna do it I'd want them to just keep it simple and make it look like their QB jerseys, if they had to throw in a touch of crimson maybe give the players crimson undershirts or add some type of piping. Overall though, I'd probably rather just see Alabama stick to the Crimson jerseys even for some type of alternate.