College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

Iowa will be replacing the tiger hawk on the helmet with a number 9 in honor of Tyler Sash on Saturday. I'm on mobile otherwise I'd post a picture

Sash may have died from CTE complications and Iowa decides to put his number on a helmet? Are they self-aware at all?

No...Tyler Sash means quite a bit to Hawk fans/ Iowans in general. It's a very big deal here, he deserves the honor.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iowa will be replacing the tiger hawk on the helmet with a number 9 in honor of Tyler Sash on Saturday. I'm on mobile otherwise I'd post a picture

Sash may have died from CTE complications and Iowa decides to put his number on a helmet? Are they self-aware at all?

Oh, the irony. Unfortunately that rules out helmet decals too. Maybe a chest patch would've been a better idea? Or not using a tragedy to draw attention to your uniform?

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Oh, the irony. Unfortunately that rules out helmet decals too. Maybe a chest patch would've been a better idea? Or not using a tragedy to draw attention to your uniform?

OR maybe they just wanted to honor a former player that was a big part of they're team and that was loved by the entire state?

Rose%2BBowl_sig.png

OR maybe they just wanted to honor a former player that was a big part of they're team and that was loved by the entire state?

There's a lot of ways to do that. Like dedicating the game to him, holding a moment of silence, releasing an official statement. Turning it into a uniform adornment may seem "neat" to uniform fanatics, but it's ultimately using contemporary design trends to provide a special one-off while paying lip service to a guy who may have died as a direct result of having been part of your team.

Do you think that any football team used the asymmetric helmet logo/numbers trend to "pay tribute" to someone before this decade? A decal is an understated and appropriate gesture, but as I said in the post you quoted, having it on the helmet would seem like poor taste. And tweeting about it so that everyone looks at your special one-off helmet seems purely promotional.

XCUfRbB.jpg

So, Louisville, UCLA and Miss St.....any chance they "uncage" the Canes?

Here's the origianal cleats that they released around the NFL combine. Miss State, UCLA, and (sort of, I know it's an eagle) Louisville.

What teams does Adidas sponsor that are Lions or Tigers?

365087_v2.jpg

I have a huge problem with people thinking this is purely promotional of Iowa. I'll just leave it there without blowing a gasket.

That's cool and up for debate regarding this gesture as a whole, but I noticed that's a direct quote from a sentence I wrote referring specifically to them tweeting about it.

Here's a way to honor a tragic figure via tweet (an admittedly poor medium for anything but snark and brief announcements). Here's a more questionable one showing him playing the sport that may have cost him his life, while also smartly including interviews. Here's another decent one.

Here's a way to promote your cool one-off helmet via tweet.

I suspect your huge problem with people doubting the authenticity of an exploitative institution's gestures towards a man who played a violent sport that we all love to consume and died way too young is similar to my huge problem with people willing to wash their hands of any guilt and pretend there's sanctity in that.

XCUfRbB.jpg

To be clear, I think he's deserving of the honor. Putting the numeral on the helmet (rather than jersey) just seems a bit morbid and I wasn't sure if others noticed the irony.

I have a huge problem with people thinking this is purely promotional of Iowa. I'll just leave it there without blowing a gasket.

That's cool and up for debate regarding this gesture as a whole, but I noticed that's a direct quote from a sentence I wrote referring specifically to them tweeting about it.

Here's a way to honor a tragic figure via tweet (an admittedly poor medium for anything but snark and brief announcements). Here's a more questionable one showing him playing the sport that may have cost him his life, while also smartly including interviews. Here's another decent one.

I suspect your huge problem with people doubting the authenticity of an exploitative institution's gestures towards a man who played a violent sport that we all love to consume and died way too young is similar to my huge problem with people willing to wash their hands of any guilt and pretend there's sanctity in that.

In no way do they have any guilt in his death. He willingly played a contact sport that he loved to play. Of course there are going to be risks when you're constantly knocking your head into bodies but that true for any contact sport. They aren't taking advantage of his death for promotional purposes. All they are doing is honoring a man who played an important role for the Hawkeyes and did great things with the unfortunate short life he did have.

Rose%2BBowl_sig.png

In no way do they have any guilt in his death. He willingly played a contact sport that he loved to play. Of course there are going to be risks when you're constantly knocking your head into bodies but that true for any contact sport. They aren't taking advantage of his death for promotional purposes. All they are doing is honoring a man who played an important role for the Hawkeyes and did great things with the unfortunate short life he did have.

I hope you can see the potential for ambiguity in those sentiments that I bolded. I can definitely imagine why someone would feel 100% sure about them.

XCUfRbB.jpg

Outstanding!

Edit: on second thought, I'd like to see that rainbow as a helmet stripe. Granted, that might be overkill, but white stripeless helmets paired with colored facemasks just seem cheap to me.

I think the chargers pull off the white stripe-less with colored mask

Chargers pic removed for the good of the board

But the bolts are kind of stripey in their own right. Basically, they're stripes.

My thoughts exactly.

White stripeless helmets with white facemasks look a billion times cheaper. Green facemasks add a little something.

I just like the helmet because it's what they used to wear in the 80s and 90s. Wish the jersey had a "HAWAII" wordmark across the chest. And maybe green pants.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So, Louisville, UCLA and Miss St.....any chance they "uncage" the Canes?

Here's the origianal cleats that they released around the NFL combine. Miss State, UCLA, and (sort of, I know it's an eagle) Louisville.

What teams does Adidas sponsor that are Lions or Tigers?

365087_v2.jpg

SE Louisiana Lions and Tennessee State Tigers are the only ones I can think of.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I hope you can see the potential for ambiguity in those sentiments that I bolded. I can definitely imagine why someone would feel 100% sure about them.
Well for starters Iowa St reached out to UI about doing something before the game (since it's in Ames) to honor the local kid that recently won a super bowl. I can see if this had happened 3 months ago & Iowa was using this game as a plug for a special one off uniform, why you would be so against it. But this is reality: Iowa v ISU is a holiday around here. Tyler was a big deal here and still heald in high esteem, even w his off the field issues. He died on Tuesday of this biggest game week of the year in which he had 3 picks in back in 2009. We love him, we love our teams, and we especially love the kids that choose to play here. And you can't take one rumor about his death, assume that's the cause, and try & go after Iowa for this. There's also a rumor he overdosed, and until the autposy is realeased, no one will know. How many hundreds or memorial decals have teams used? Why does Iowa honoring one of their more popular players (ever) who JUST left the program 4 years ago rub you so wrong? Youre pointing out irony but you probably didn't say anything when va tech wore a decal for a recently deceased uva grad. You need to chill out, get off our backs and let us honor and mourn Tyler during our Superbowl, thank you.

Archived