College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

imo the Sapp-era Canes uniforms are one of the most overrated in college football history. Nothing matches and the color balance is different for the helmet, jersey, and pants. (And they don't come together to look greater as a whole, unlike, say, Ole Miss.) Totally nostalgia-driven, and thankfully I have no nostalgia for them.

Other than the mismatching stripes on the white elements, what is wrong with the color balance on them?

Helmet: Perfectly balanced. There's a reason it lasted while the other pieces didn't.

Jersey: For the white road at least, that strong shade of green overwhelms the orange. That fundamental mistake of using a dark color as your primary and a lighter color as your trim, rather than the other way around. Dulls the look instead of making it pop.

Pants: Green is rightfully relegated to a secondary color, working with white as orange dominates.

You could say that the mismatching stripes CAUSED the color balance to misalign, as they seem to have tried to match their numbers to the sleeve stripes. The whole thing is thrown off as a result.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

imo the Sapp-era Canes uniforms are one of the most overrated in college football history. Nothing matches and the color balance is different for the helmet, jersey, and pants. (And they don't come together to look greater as a whole, unlike, say, Ole Miss.) Totally nostalgia-driven, and thankfully I have no nostalgia for them.

Other than the mismatching stripes on the white elements, what is wrong with the color balance on them?

Helmet: Perfectly balanced. There's a reason it lasted while the other pieces didn't.

Jersey: For the white road at least, that strong shade of green overwhelms the orange. That fundamental mistake of using a dark color as your primary and a lighter color as your trim, rather than the other way around. Dulls the look instead of making it pop.

Pants: Green is rightfully relegated to a secondary color, working with white as orange dominates.

You could say that the mismatching stripes CAUSED the color balance to misalign, as they seem to have tried to match their numbers to the sleeve stripes. The whole thing is thrown off as a result.

Dark numbers outlined in orange is actually a good look. The orange does pop.

The Broncos, Astros, SF Giants, Mets, and Islanders don't have orange numbers outlined by a dark color.

The Athletics and Sonics made green numbers outlined by a lighter color work really well.

I wouldn't say the Hurricanes' helmet is "perfectly balanced", either. It's extremely white-heavy.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Broncos, Astros, SF Giants, Mets, and Islanders don't have orange numbers outlined by a dark color.

The Athletics and Sonics made green numbers outlined by a lighter color work really well.

I wouldn't say the Hurricanes' helmet is "perfectly balanced", either. It's extremely white-heavy.

The orange outlines on this jersey's numbers pop to you?

miami-hurricanes-warren-sapp-canton-ohio

We definitely have different perceptions of color if that's the case. For one, the shades of green and orange they used back then are too dark to even "pop". And like I said, it's not about whether they should have outlines or not; it's the fact that the green dominates the orange in that jersey, as opposed to anywhere else in the uniform.

I'm in the camp that thinks lighter outlines over dark numbers aren't necessary most of the time, and so I'm a fan of Nike's recent design philosophy to not outline their numbers. That's besides the point when it comes to this Miami look though.

And what do you mean that their classic helmet is "extremely white-heavy" LOL? Do you think perfect color balance means the surface area of every color is equal to one another? Maybe it just comes down to what we each think the U's ideal color balance is.

The fact is, everyone fawns over Miami because they pioneered this unique color scheme with traditional striping while achieving phenomenal success on the football field in a very stylish way--I'm talking about their playing style now. But that's why "first to do _____" accomplishments aren't all that great: as the decades go on, they become less and less meaningful.

I'll probably get some flack for this, but I LOVE Miami's "eyebrows" set, and I enjoyed several ideas from their various Pro Combat one-offs. I also liked their second piping set (the one after the piped yoke). For me, Miami is that Nike school that experiments with design trends while remaining uniquely Miami.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

I'll probably get some flack for this, but I LOVE Miami's "eyebrows" set, and I enjoyed several ideas from their various Pro Combat one-offs. I also liked their second piping set (the one after the piped yoke). For me, Miami is that Nike school that experiments with design trends while remaining uniquely Miami.

At the end of the day it is what it is. The reality is that there's those of us who defer to the traditional look, while others are progressive and desire change.

:suspect:

And what do you mean that their classic helmet is "extremely white-heavy" LOL? Do you think perfect color balance means the surface area of every color is equal to one another? Maybe it just comes down to what we each think the U's ideal color balance is.

White helmet with a white facemask and a small logo makes the helmet white-heavy. Look at the photo. Helmet is 90% white.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Finally! First time since 2010 and only the 2nd time since 2005 they've worn orange/blue/orange.

Week%204%2015_zpsucajqjs4.jpg

Really?! Illinois should be Orange/Blue/Orange, IMO. It's a perfect look.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Finally! First time since 2010 and only the 2nd time since 2005 they've worn orange/blue/orange.

Yeah, they said that in the tweet after the picture of the uniform combo. I knew Zook preferred white pants, but I was shocked it's only the second time in ten years they've worn orange pants with the blue jerseys.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Yeah, they said that in the tweet after the picture of the uniform combo. I knew Zook preferred white pants, but I was shocked it's only the second time in ten years they've worn orange pants with the blue jerseys.

hopefully illinois takes notice that this was voted for by fans and sticks to it

miami-hurricanes-warren-sapp-canton-ohio

We definitely have different perceptions of color if that's the case. For one, the shades of green and orange they used back then are too dark to even "pop". And like I said, it's not about whether they should have outlines or not; it's the fact that the green dominates the orange in that jersey, as opposed to anywhere else in the uniform.

I'm in the camp that thinks lighter outlines over dark numbers aren't necessary most of the time, and so I'm a fan of Nike's recent design philosophy to not outline their numbers. That's besides the point when it comes to this Miami look though.

The fact is, everyone fawns over Miami because they pioneered this unique color scheme with traditional striping while achieving phenomenal success on the football field in a very stylish way--I'm talking about their playing style now. But that's why "first to do _____" accomplishments aren't all that great: as the decades go on, they become less and less meaningful.

The Sapp era uniforms work so well because they are very well balanced. You're showing a white jersey with dark green numbers outlined in orange on top of orange pants with white and green stripes. And yet at home it was orange jerseys with green numbers on top of white pants with orange and green stripes. It's perfectly balanced. If you're complaining about the green numbers on a white jerseys, switching them to orange numbers makes the whole uniform too orange, therefore a smart designer uses the green numbers with orange outlines. If you want to get into striping, that's personal preference. If you're talking color balance, the jersey you showed, does it properly... there's no arguement to that. Talk to any good designer, they'll see that uniform you showed as perfectly balanced.

Anyone seen the Marcus Mariota "Heisman House" commercial? The ever changing jersey cracked me up.

That was perfect. I pointed it out to my roommates as it was happening and they just gave me the "here he goes on a uniform tangent again" weird look.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Anyone seen the Marcus Mariota "Heisman House" commercial? The ever changing jersey cracked me up.

That was perfect. I pointed it out to my roommates as it was happening and they just gave me the "here he goes on a uniform tangent again" weird look.

Same here. Fortunately, teams like Oregon and Maryland have made uniform discussion a little more mainstream.

It's sort of like how it was always nerdy to like video games and super hero comics. And now, all the COOL kids are into Xbox and Captain America.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The people that frequent this board are quite familiar with that look and feel for you.

On a side note, whenever the wife see the Saints and Cowboys, she talks about the mismatching silvers and golds. The sad part is, I'm not sure if she's making fun of me or not...

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

How about you just say you don't like them, and don't try to speak to others about why they do? Nothing is more annoying then having your opinion dismissed as just "nostalgia".

As for why the Sapp era canes uniforms blow the crap out of every version since? IMO it's because of those very "unbalanced" elements. I just got done writing this same sentence in another thread 30 seconds ago. More teams need to stop being slaves to blind continuity.

Archived