College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

Iowa and Indiana both wearing patriotic helmet decals in their game. Looks terrible.

terrible? really? in this day and age of uniforms, you looked at that game and said "terrible"???????

yes indiana would look better with a red hat and Iowa should have the tigerhawk on both sides, but besides that.....HOW is this a TERRIBLE matchup?

It's generally an OK matchup, but the flag design detracts from both helmets. With Iowa, it's hard to even see the outline of the logo. Their helmet depends on the contrast of the black and yellow. And as you pointed out, why the logo on one side? Someone took the old decals off and put the new ones on...may as well go all the way.

It's not as bad with Indiana, but the stripes do make it a bit harder to read (also, that particular helmet design is bad either way; give me the "IU" without the weird helmet stripe).

They did not go full "Stars and Stripes" head to toe, but I'd classify the impact on the helmets as terrible.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the episode in Missouri today is a clear indication of the type of PC maelstrom that exists on college campuses.

I've looked at Google images from the 80s until now and it was only after 9/11 that teams placed the stars and bars in their jerseys and helmets.

Like it was appropriate for the 2001 season but now it's pandering plain and simple. It's also a color clash. Even the conference logos are color coordinated to the teams pattern.

So I agree with Lucas in the need to stop with the tertiary design elements. Hell there's so much going on the flags get lost anyway in the uniforms.

I think you mean Stars and Stripes. But yes, once they went on they haven't come off for the most part. Some schools have replaced them with the state flags but all NFL helmets kept them. The CFL has done the same and Montreal uses Quebec flags as well. They're almost a requirement similar to the warning stickers.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think the episode in Missouri today is a clear indication of the type of PC maelstrom that exists on college campuses.

I've looked at Google images from the 80s until now and it was only after 9/11 that teams placed the stars and bars in their jerseys and helmets.

Like it was appropriate for the 2001 season but now it's pandering plain and simple. It's also a color clash. Even the conference logos are color coordinated to the teams pattern.

So I agree with Lucas in the need to stop with the tertiary design elements. Hell there's so much going on the flags get lost anyway in the uniforms.

I think you mean Stars and Stripes.

Seriously. There aren't many fans of the Stars and Bars.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Good look at Texas throwbacks and a red/chrome facemask added to Kansas helmet. LtCcVDB.jpg

I'm surprised tear aren't getting more love. They're phenomenal.

Also I liked those tcu helmets mentionedearlier but I felt like the design didn't look as good on the field. Kinda got lost.

It's generally an OK matchup, but the flag design detracts from both helmets. With Iowa, it's hard to even see the outline of the logo. Their helmet depends on the contrast of the black and yellow. And as you pointed out, why the logo on one side? Someone took the old decals off and put the new ones on...may as well go all the way.

Iowa usually leaves one side completely black on Veterans Day as a sign of remembrance. They took both decals off the helmet after the campus shooting in 1991 for the same reason.

Good look at Texas throwbacks and a red/chrome facemask added to Kansas helmet. LtCcVDB.jpg

Also I liked those tcu helmets mentionedearlier but I felt like the design didn't look as good on the field. Kinda got lost.

It probably has to do with the fact that the texas throwback jersey looks almost just like the regular jersey. I didn't even notice it was a throwback set until i saw the helmet. Why were they wearing a throwback to 1969? Was it some attempt at promoting the UT movie coming out?

I'm almost certain that the contracts cover athletics only.. The book store is most likely run by a third party, and even if not, is operated by the academic/institutional side, not athletics.. Probably also why none of that Nike gear references any athletics

Sure, but the logos on them are the athletic logos, not the school logos.

And, as we just did at Tennessee, if the academic side adopts the athletic logos as the official school brand, they can't just start licensing the logo to anyone, they have to abide by the contracts in place. I would be stunned if the newly-signed NCSU/adidas deal does not include an exclusion clause that ends these products being made by Nike or anyone else.

I'm not sharing anything private here, as a state school our deal with Nike is public record and the contact is available on our website.

Those Kansas pants are really sharp, the wider striping is a welcome change from many other teams.

V45QOgC.png

Iowa's blackout uniforms for their game against Minnesota this weekend. They haven't officially unveiled these but I played around with the levels form the teaser they released at the beginning of the season.

I really hope that's not a chrome silver facemask.

i back these 100% and don't worry it wont be a silver chrome facemask

i keep hearing matte black helmet which would be cool only if the decals are metallic like texas's

I'm almost certain that the contracts cover athletics only.. The book store is most likely run by a third party, and even if not, is operated by the academic/institutional side, not athletics.. Probably also why none of that Nike gear references any athletics

And, as we just did at Tennessee, if the academic side adopts the athletic logos as the official school brand, they can't just start licensing the logo to anyone, they have to abide by the contracts in place. I would be stunned if the newly-signed NCSU/adidas deal does not include an exclusion clause that ends these products being made by Nike or anyone else.

I'm not sharing anything private here, as a state school our deal with Nike is public record and the contact is available on our website.

So many of the details are dependent on other variables though.. There's a very good reason Nike creates logo packages for schools so often - to ensure that NIKE owns the rights to the marks.. The NC State gear mostly contained generic block wordmarks, but even the ones that are "athletic" marks are more than likely owned by the school, not Adidas - and there's probably some language within the contract that alludes to that point.. Anyone with $150 cash and a million-dollar product liability insurance policy can become licensed with any one of a huge number of major universities through "SMA" to sell merchandise commercially

So many of the details are dependent on other variables though.. There's a very good reason Nike creates logo packages for schools so often - to ensure that NIKE owns the rights to the marks.. The NC State gear mostly contained generic block wordmarks, but even the ones that are "athletic" marks are more than likely owned by the school, not Adidas - and there's probably some language within the contract that alludes to that point.. Anyone with $150 cash and a million-dollar product liability insurance policy can become licensed with any one of a huge number of major universities through "SMA" to sell merchandise commercially

No, they're really not. I don't think you understand what I'm saying here. In the majority of schools' contracts with apparel companies, they are not allowed to license ANYTHING to direct competitors of that company. In our example, Tennessee cannot license adidas, Under Armour, Reebok or Russell to make ANY products. Not the current logos, not old logos, not generic logos. The Nike contract prevents those companies from being a licensee of the university in ANY way. That covers athletics and academics, it's the same license.

The contract we have is standard. The previous deal we had with adidas had the same stipulations about UA and Nike. I'm surprised the old NC State contract didn't have that, but I would be willing to bet the extension they announced this week does have it.

I understand exactly what you're saying, but I also know that "pretty standard" is pretty subjective, and I also know that licensing and contract specifics often leave plenty of room for interpretation.. If the institution uses as licensing company such as SMA to control all the legal and financial issues regarding licensing before signing a contact with an apparel company, the licensing company may already have some protection in place.. Not to mention the various types of apparel deals ("sponsored" schools vs "licensed" schools, etc.) that all result I different types of "pretty standard" contracts, can all end up being vastly different..

Obviously, if you're comparing a brand new contract that was drawn up by Nike, the worldwide mastermind in sports marketing and licensing, it may very well cover several branding/licensing issues that aren't traditionally addressed.. Also, a separate company can gain licensing rights for an institution's marks, and put those marks on a competitor's products, creating competitor merchandise.. Several ways around the system, and it's tough to catch them all while preparing the contract.

Archived