College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

More info here.

To avoid the jump:

Design Details:

• Uniform font replicates the design and font used on Navy ships.
• Battleship gray color featured on the cleats, baselayer sleeves and jersey shoulders.
• Eagle, Globe and Anchor Marine Corps logo highlighted on the uniform pant.
• Baselayer features the overhead sketch of the seven Naval ships featured on the helmets.
• "Damn the Torpedoes!" scripted on the uniform pant and jersey hem as a reminder of the historic battle cry that rallies the U.S. Naval Fleet.

Helmet Details and Position Assignment:
• Linebacker: Cruiser- Provides anti-air defense and packs the biggest punch of Naval surface ships representative of the linebackers on the Navy football team.
• Defensive Back: Destroyer- Known for significant fire power, speed, and anti-missile defense as are Navy's defensive backs.
• Wide Receiver: Submarine- Predominantly utilized as blockers, wide receivers play a key role in driving the Navy rush attack, taking on a stealth-like persona as they blend into the rhythm of the offense but bring significant fire power when called upon, just like a Naval submarine.
• Lineman: Amphibious Assault Ships- Just as a lineman's job is the create a hole for a running back or linebacker, these ships are utilized to establish the "beach head" that enables the invading force to gain access and ultimately accomplish their objective.
• Quarterback: Aircraft Carrier- The QB of the Naval Fleet, the aircraft carrier is the ultimate decision maker; the "quick strike" weapon of the Naval fleet.
• Running Back: Littoral Combat Ship- Like running backs, these fast and nimble ships can navigate through both crowded shallow and deep waters.
• Kicker/Special Teams: Minesweeper- Much like the specific task of the Navy special teams, this small ship has a unique mission of identifying and eliminating mines.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those helmets remind me of the pride motorcycle helmets vendors sell at the PX. Just horrible. And "Damn the torpedoes" comes from the Spanish-American War, they should have come up with something referencing Manila Bay. And Army will counter with nothing. Blech!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Good lord Navy looks awful.

Not just because of the unfathomably dumb/ugly helmets, but the jersey/pants themselves look horrid. The uniforms (minus the helmets) make them look like a poor man's Toledo. This might be an all-time low for Under Armour.

They reminded me of Murray State's uniforms:

murray-state-football-poster.jpg?w=598

spacer.png

Those helmets remind me of the pride motorcycle helmets vendors sell at the PX. Just horrible. And "Damn the torpedoes" comes from the Spanish-American War, they should have come up with something referencing Manila Bay. And Army will counter with nothing. Blech!

The quote is generally attributed to Union Adm. Farragut at the Battle of Mobile Bay, but your point about the motorcycle helmets is well taken..

The quote is generally attributed to Union Adm. Farragut at the Battle of Mobile Bay, but your point about the motorcycle helmets is well taken..

Well I'm in the Army, but I knew it preceeded 1945. The Army equivalent to this would be to paint a flag with the word, "Nuts" on them. Granted a few of us have said that about this season.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I love the Navy uniforms. The "DAMN THE TORPEDOES" text is oddly placed and probably unnecessary, but I appreciate Under Armour's attempt at 2010s design with their templated sleevecaps/thin pants stripe/quad stripes. I just don't think the "NAVY" text is necessary either on the quad stripe since it's already displayed prominently on the jersey.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Part of me thinks the helmets are hideous and belong painted on the side of a party van; part of me thinks they're awesome. If it works, it only works because it's Navy. Most of the Nikespeak explanations for who wears what even make sense!

really like Navy from the neck down. i'm not a big fan of the helmets here, but these 1 game alternates are done for one reason: to attract attention. that's exactly what they do and, they might already be the most talked about helmets of the year. they've made reddit's front page and i don't recall that ever happening with a football uniform design before. the helmets might be ugly, but at least there is a strong concept here; each design being specified to a position that reflect the ships' characteristics.

this is one where i can say i don't really like it all that much (only the helmet though) but it is certainly a successful design. well done UA

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Honestly, don't see whats so wrong with any of the uniform. as far as I know, this is the most unique helmet that may have been created to date and

UA didn't do an awful job. At least its better than the camo/military crap were seeing out of adidas, at least UA's uniforms actually are meaningful.

a2BRS8U.png

Archived