College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8-team playoff would be a joke.. It would turn into an injury-fest and the final teams standing would be battered.. To compare a collision sport like football to a non-contact sport like basketball is laughable.. And the huge March madness brackets drive me crazy too.. It's just a money-maker.. And just because "people like it" doesn't mean it's what we should base something else on.. For decades we let a poll pick the champion, then we were fine with the top 2, and now that we're finally to top-4, people are clamoring for 8.. If we ever go to 8, it'll be 16.. It'll continue until we're playing 24-game seasons and everyone makes the playoffs.. If you're not capable of getting into the top 4, you don't deserve a shot most seasons.. I think it was pretty clear this year that the top 2 were head-and-shoulders above the rest.. Last year, not so much, but the committee showed their ability to get it right by putting OSU in there over TCU, and them going on to win it.

Yeah...the FCS has dropped its playoff because of all the reasons you mentioned. Injuries galore in the FCS. Mainly just the fourth string backups by the time the FCS championship game happens...but seriously, there won't be any more injuries than you'd see in any other three-game stretch of the season. Complaining about injuries is about as bad an excuse as saying "A playoff isn't possible because our kids have to study." Should we cancel the NFL's playoff system too because of all the injuries that lead up to the Super Bowl?

And anyone who thinks basketball is "non-contac"t has never played or watched basketball. We've seen basketball players tear up their knees and break their legs in the tournament.

For decades we had co-champions and non-title bowls thanks to the polls, and then we were so "fine" with the top 2 BCS system that everyone complained and openly asked for a playoff. A 2-team final game was never really the answer. I think we've seen how great a 4-team playoff is. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA moves to a 6-team or 8-team playoff in the next 5-10 years.

The March Madness brackets are just a money-maker? You do realize the brackets have been around for decades, right? The college basketball tournament is just as traditional as your beloved bowl games (speaking of "just money-makers").

Who said I love bowl games? I think there are far too many and they simply dilute the pool of talented teams playing.. But again, you're supporting my point.. Too much football being played for the sake of it (or for the sake of making more money).. I wouldn't be surprised either if they go to a larger playoff, but it will be for the purpose of making money, not to give a truer chance for the best team to emerge.. And adding an additional 3 games to the end of the season is different from any other three game stretch because it's ADDED.. That's an additional three games, not to mention that they're being played after the players are more physically beaten up and more stresses have been placed on their body, PLUS it will cut down on the pre-bowl recovery time, thus further increasing chance for injury prevalence.. And yes, I understand that brackets have existed for quite a while.. In fact, you can devise brackets to extend to placing more than just top-2 (waiting on March madness to add those additional games for more revenue, maybe place top 8 before too long).. And as for basketball being a contact sport, are you serious? That may be the just outrageous claim I've ever seen I these boards.. Comparing basketball contact to football- get real.. I guess baseball is a contact sport too since injuries happen in that sport as well.. If you graze a players arm it's a foul - much different from a sport that encourages high speed collisions

Maybe teams watching at home will get the hint that playing on new years is cooler than wearing their flashy unis

Yea it sure would be nice if those teams had spent more time practicing and conditioning instead of working on uniform design all the time. /sarcasm
Midway.png

We pretty much knew this already, but here is the official combo for Oregon tomorrow.

12469624_10153903928164706_85637809856335284_10153903926449706_2069000929312390910561554_10153903926159706_215921938731712469416_10153903926649706_3530679342072

But back on topic, why are teams becoming incapable of properly aligning the helmet decals?! It's a huge issue that looks awful, and yet it's becoming more and more prevalent.. The logo's orientation should be parallel to the ground while the player is wearing the helmet... NOT cocked downwards.. That's obviously the result of leveling the decal while it's sitting upright on a table rather than taking the time to properly orient the helmet and align the decals appropriately
If the player's head is straight up moving forward it's parallel to the field.
No, it would still be cocked forward, rather significantly.. I decal every one of our helmets personally to ensure uniformity, and I can tell you that that's not the right orientation on the speed flex

We pretty much knew this already, but here is the official combo for Oregon tomorrow.

12469624_10153903928164706_85637809856335284_10153903926449706_2069000929312390910561554_10153903926159706_215921938731712469416_10153903926649706_3530679342072

But back on topic, why are teams becoming incapable of properly aligning the helmet decals?! It's a huge issue that looks awful, and yet it's becoming more and more prevalent.. The logo's orientation should be parallel to the ground while the player is wearing the helmet... NOT cocked downwards.. That's obviously the result of leveling the decal while it's sitting upright on a table rather than taking the time to properly orient the helmet and align the decals appropriately
Illinois has had the same problem since they switched to the I on the helmet. I think the equipment managers are setting the helmets on a table when they apply the decals. When on a table, the helmets aren't sitting level. They are slightly facing upwards.

This player's head (#6) isn't level, but you can see that the I is leaning forward.

kO6BmB4.jpg

Illinois has had the same problem since they switched to the I on the helmet. I think the equipment managers are setting the helmets on a table when they apply the decals. When on a table, the helmets aren't sitting level. They are slightly facing upwards.

This player's head (#6) isn't level, but you can see that the I is leaning forward.

kO6BmB4.jpg

Exactly.. They're tilted significantly upwards while on a table, so when worn (and rotated downwards to properly sit on a player's head), the decal becomes cocked forward awkwardly

If you lay the helmet on its opposite side while applying decals, you can orient the helmet so that your "12 o'clock" is the top of the helmet as it would be worn, then apply the decal in standard orientation, and the decal will be appropriate when the helmet is worn.. Also, these newer helmets have several "registration marks" or guide points to use as reference due to all the vent holes, notches, snaps, facemasks, etc, so it's not that hard.. Riddell Speed's are actually the easiest.. Speed Flex's are easy with a rounded decal, but ours are squared, so it requires the removal of a snap, but it's not difficult

The way I learned to layout decals S that you measured from the nose bumper and depending on where it's design was to be placed, you lined it up from there. Vents have had some affect on that but following that premise, you'll get a uniform team look

As a proud graduate of THE Ohio State University, it pains me to say this about TSUN, but Michigan had just about the most flawless home and road combination possible this year. One helmet, one home uniform, one road uniform, no stupid gimmicks, no one-offs, no throwbacks, no chrome, no matte, no nonsense and no garbage. The home uniform remained simple and awesome and this road uniform...

-18b912fa2fe40f45.JPG

-8848653b0e617217.JPG

-4e7c8c09cd322dfb.JPG

... is just about as close to perfection as it gets.

The super clean white on white, the single layer numbers, the matching stripes... my Lord, that's a gorgeous uniform. In the nightmare cesspool of the current state of CFB uniform design, the way that Michigan shook off the idiocy of ugliness, and went back to basics is inspiring.

OK, I think I just made myself a little nauseous. Go Bucks!

Im really hoping the new fad becomes the Utah style satin finished helmets...

Yeah that finish is lovely. Chrome is okay, the ark helmets are okay because they use a white decal instead of a chrome one.

Those Oregon uniforms are nice as a whole, but the new 1's on the number font look terrible, wings look bad (from what i can make out), the helmet looks cool tho, the bevel actually looks kinda cool from a distance.

8-team playoff would be a joke.. It would turn into an injury-fest and the final teams standing would be battered.. To compare a collision sport like football to a non-contact sport like basketball is laughable.. And the huge March madness brackets drive me crazy too.. It's just a money-maker.. And just because "people like it" doesn't mean it's what we should base something else on.. For decades we let a poll pick the champion, then we were fine with the top 2, and now that we're finally to top-4, people are clamoring for 8.. If we ever go to 8, it'll be 16.. It'll continue until we're playing 24-game seasons and everyone makes the playoffs.. If you're not capable of getting into the top 4, you don't deserve a shot most seasons.. I think it was pretty clear this year that the top 2 were head-and-shoulders above the rest.. Last year, not so much, but the committee showed their ability to get it right by putting OSU in there over TCU, and them going on to win it.

Yeah...the FCS has dropped its playoff because of all the reasons you mentioned. Injuries galore in the FCS. Mainly just the fourth string backups by the time the FCS championship game happens...but seriously, there won't be any more injuries than you'd see in any other three-game stretch of the season. Complaining about injuries is about as bad an excuse as saying "A playoff isn't possible because our kids have to study." Should we cancel the NFL's playoff system too because of all the injuries that lead up to the Super Bowl?

And anyone who thinks basketball is "non-contac"t has never played or watched basketball. We've seen basketball players tear up their knees and break their legs in the tournament.

For decades we had co-champions and non-title bowls thanks to the polls, and then we were so "fine" with the top 2 BCS system that everyone complained and openly asked for a playoff. A 2-team final game was never really the answer. I think we've seen how great a 4-team playoff is. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA moves to a 6-team or 8-team playoff in the next 5-10 years.

The March Madness brackets are just a money-maker? You do realize the brackets have been around for decades, right? The college basketball tournament is just as traditional as your beloved bowl games (speaking of "just money-makers").

Who said I love bowl games? I think there are far too many and they simply dilute the pool of talented teams playing.. But again, you're supporting my point.. Too much football being played for the sake of it (or for the sake of making more money).. I wouldn't be surprised either if they go to a larger playoff, but it will be for the purpose of making money, not to give a truer chance for the best team to emerge.. And adding an additional 3 games to the end of the season is different from any other three game stretch because it's ADDED.. That's an additional three games, not to mention that they're being played after the players are more physically beaten up and more stresses have been placed on their body, PLUS it will cut down on the pre-bowl recovery time, thus further increasing chance for injury prevalence.. And yes, I understand that brackets have existed for quite a while.. In fact, you can devise brackets to extend to placing more than just top-2 (waiting on March madness to add those additional games for more revenue, maybe place top 8 before too long).. And as for basketball being a contact sport, are you serious? That may be the just outrageous claim I've ever seen I these boards.. Comparing basketball contact to football- get real.. I guess baseball is a contact sport too since injuries happen in that sport as well.. If you graze a players arm it's a foul - much different from a sport that encourages high speed collisions

Tell me basketball players don't wear padded undergarmets and I'll tell you basketball is a non-contact sport. Seriously...watch the game sometime. You'll be amazed at the contact (charges, elbows, dives, collisions, knee-on-knee...it's all there). Pretending that's it's not is downright foolish.

Adding three additional games? With an 8-team playoff, it's only two additional games (max) compared to the current system, as the top 8 would be playing one additional game anyway in a bowl. But statistically, it really is no different than any other stretch of the season. Considering that injuries are primarily bad luck, injuries can happen just as easily at the beginning of the season as they can at the end of the season. Someone who works in athletics probably should understand that.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived