College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

Is it an unpopular opinion to think that the current Pitt unis are pretty much perfect (maybe just enlarge the chest wordmark to make it legible or remove it altogether so as not to clash with the Pitt helmet script)?

conner-1.jpg

I've never understood the nostalgia for the old Pittsburgh colors. I agree that their current uniforms are the best they've ever worn, and if you're going to change anything, just make the helmet logo consistent with the collar logo. Simple. Only other suggestion would be to invert the stripes so that they're G-B-W-B-G.

I'm indifferent to which wordmark I like more, though. I see nothing wrong with the PITT wordmark and like it in a vacuum, but I also like the script.

In college football, there's pretty much no way any team can wear those colors and not be immediately compared to Notre Dame. They own navy and gold. I'd put Pitt back into royal blue and mustard gold because, in my mind, that's their colors, and they're pretty unique.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. The gold numbers and striping help differentiate Pitt from ND, as do the white and blue pants options. Now, Navy before they switched to UA? There I can see your point. Plain gold - plain blue/white - plain gold with white and blue numbers? And it was especially bad considering we play each other every year.

I've honestly never thought Notre Dame when looking at Pitt. Sure the colors are similar, but I've, at least, never made that connection.

If you read the origin stories of many schools and their colors, it's pretty interesting to see how many of them are based on other schools/copy cat jobs. My understanding for Ohio (green and white) is that we had a coach circa 1900 who came from Dartmouth and instituted the colors. I believe Ole Miss chose Harvard crimson and Yale navy blue because of their respect for the academics/tradition? Not saying that there is a similar situation with ND and Pitt, but definitely a rich history of "borrowing" from other colleges.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There certainly is a rich history of other schools borrowing colors from other universities or sports teams (Iowa wanting to look like the Steelers, for example). The City of Pittsburgh's seal was taken roughly from the Earl of Chatham, William Pitts family coat of arms and was chartered in 1816. Pitt was officially founded in 1787 first as the Pittsburgh Academy, then as the Western University of Pennsylvania (1819) and finally renamed the University of Pittsburgh (1908). That said, Pitt's school colors are Old Gold and Blue and have always been. Few if any university athletic teams have had as many color variations as Pitt has had in the last 100 years or so on the field of play (see Ditka-era, mustard and dark navy; or Mario/Dorsett era with mustard and a pure navy; to the late 80s with canary yellow and royal blue; to the late 90s with Vegas gold and dark navy; to today with a little tannish looking gold and blue) but Pitt has always been old gold and blue officially as a university.

CFZ76VEW0AAYFLN.jpg

Please just be a concept... please just be a concept!!

Pat Narduzzi was on Pittsburgh radio this morning and said that the depictions of the new uniforms are nothing like they are going to look but also said that no one but a select few know exactly what they're going to look like because it's top secret. Just FWIW.

Is it an unpopular opinion to think that the current Pitt unis are pretty much perfect (maybe just enlarge the chest wordmark to make it legible or remove it altogether so as not to clash with the Pitt helmet script)?

conner-1.jpg

I looked at this picture and tried to remember a time when Michigan wore that style of jersey. D'oh!

CFZ76VEW0AAYFLN.jpg

Pat Narduzzi was on Pittsburgh radio this morning and said that the depictions of the new uniforms are nothing like they are going to look but also said that no one but a select few know exactly what they're going to look like because it's top secret. Just FWIW.

That's clearly a fan concept. Oregon's number font probably won't go to Pitt.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

conner-1.jpg

I looked at this picture and tried to remember a time when Michigan wore that style of jersey. D'oh!

2018? Hahahaha!!!!!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

CFZ76VEW0AAYFLN.jpg

Did he happen to say when they would be revealed?

as long as they stick to this color combo for the roads tho.........

pitt-12-whiteblue-mattquinnan-vert-620x9

Honestly I wont watch if they are wearing white and white

I've never seen that look from them. Very nice!

IUe6Hvh.png

I posted a photo of a recruit holding this helmet before and I said i hoped it was not real and never showed up....but on a recent recruiting visit, this helmet popped up.... let me just be the first to say i am extremely embarrassed and hope this never hits the field.....this would be the biggest reach of CFCS on a facemask i've seen reently

CFKplUNUEAAlAKY.jpg

EDIT: There is also a blue version apparently

What in the hell is that random gold section under the chin of the bear?

Reflection of something gold in the room. It's a metallic decal.

I would much rather see something like thsi than what they have here

DSC_0198_zps8b9cdfac.jpg

Just an update on the helmets which is GREAT news to me:

"There will be no white helmets in 2015. Blue helmets, Cal script only "

https://twitter.com/avinashkunnath/status/601132396067627008

"#Cal football had hoped to wear Joe Roth throwback unis once this year but Nike is doing no throwbacks in 2015. Tentative plans for 2016."

https://twitter.com/BearInsider_com/status/601139404548149248

These are the Joe Roth throwbacks last worn in 2007 and definitely one of my top ten all time looks in any sport

GettyImages-78203956.0.jpg

1976291092_a9ff1a2121.jpg

cal0713.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

I posted a photo of a recruit holding this helmet before and I said i hoped it was not real and never showed up....but on a recent recruiting visit, this helmet popped up.... let me just be the first to say i am extremely embarrassed and hope this never hits the field.....this would be the biggest reach of CFCS on a facemask i've seen reently

CFKplUNUEAAlAKY.jpg

DSC_0198_zps8b9cdfac.jpg

"#Cal football had hoped to wear Joe Roth throwback unis once this year but Nike is doing no throwbacks in 2015. Tentative plans for 2016."

These are the Joe Roth throwbacks last worn in 2007 and definitely one of my top ten all time looks in any sport

cal0713.jpg

Wow, those are beautiful. I would love to see these!

NEWSGG copy.png

Doing no throwbacks for anyone in 2015 or just no throwbacks for Cal? That seems confusing.

Probably referring to Cal. I'm sure someone might pull something off during the year that hasn't been put out yet.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

CFKplUNUEAAlAKY.jpg

DSC_0198_zps8b9cdfac.jpg

cal0713.jpg

Somebody call the STL Rams.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

New helmet for Purdue football , super late to the logo on one side, number on the other

CC5Q30RWgAENO3l.jpg

So close to perfection. Get rid the facemask stripe and put the logo on both sides

That helmet would be beautiful with the logo on both sides

I think that the I-beam gold look in the middle of the helmet is clever-my guess is that it's supposed to represent a train track?

Highly doubt they put that much thought into it. That's just how the facemask is normally constructed.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

New helmet for Purdue football , super late to the logo on one side, number on the other

CC5Q30RWgAENO3l.jpg

The lighting on that Purdue logo (far right side of the photo) makes it look like the train is ablaze. Somebody cue Ozzy.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

CFKplUNUEAAlAKY.jpg

DSC_0198_zps8b9cdfac.jpg

cal0713.jpg

Somebody call the STL Rams.

Wear those with the regular helmet and you've got a winner.

Archived