College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

If anyone had to estimate the year that this whole alternate uniform trend started, what would you say? Yeah, Oregon basically started this thing, that's obvious, but it's fascinating looking even 15 years ago and there were hardly any alternates to be found.

I'd say 2006 when they had the diamond plate look.

Oregon.jpg

Unpopular opinion - I actually like these...(to a point, of course)

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate what they did to the new helmet compared to the original gold helmet. (hard to find a good image with the purple decal)USATSI_6759724-675x380.jpg

457957990-washington-huskies-football-he

The new one is a satin finish with satin-like decals and facemask with black

back plate thing.

17+Fiest+Bowl_sig.png

I am hoping for a day when the NCAA institutes a one helmet rule like the NFL has.

Be careful what you wish for...who's to say that the helmets the teams choose to stick with will be good?

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I am hoping for a day when the NCAA institutes a one helmet rule like the NFL has.

Be careful what you wish for...who's to say that the helmets the teams choose to stick with will be good?

Maybe a few schools will make poor choices, but I suspect most teams will be more selective about what they commit to when faced with having to wear it for a full season. Taking UW as an example, I doubt they'd choose to wear a matte black helmet over their classic gold one if they had to make a choice. I think a lot of teams playing the mix and match headgear game would settle down and go back to their regular helmets. Even Oregon.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Have to say I am not a fan of this one helmet rule. It makes sense in the pros, or at least more sense, but the confusion and ugliness kinda makes me appreciate the really great designs even more, and makes me love the college uniform game even more than that. Even with the lack of rules you still get teams that stay true like Notre Dame and Texas and all them.You also see some really cool one offs every once in a while that would'nt be possible with those restrictions.

If anyone had to estimate the year that this whole alternate uniform trend started, what would you say? Yeah, Oregon basically started this thing, that's obvious, but it's fascinating looking even 15 years ago and there were hardly any alternates to be found.

I'd say 2006 when they had the diamond plate look.

Oregon.jpg

It was definitely started by Oregon, but I think it was the set prior to that one when they started the mixing and matching trend.

1748199859.jpgt1_clemens_getty.jpgkellen-Clemens.jpg1984336877.jpg960x540.jpg

The previous Oregon set was the start of their modern and whacky era, but they only wore one helmet with it and the home and road look weren't designed to have interchangeable elements.

But you also have to give credit to Washington State because they were the first team that I can remember who wore distinctive home and road helmets.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Nike/Oregon are basically like apple. Take a bunch of existing elements, clean up the design and market the hell out of it; then reap all the public praise while you're credited as as an innovator. On that note, Hawaii was basically the Xerox of cfb.

I hate what they did to the new helmet compared to the original gold helmet. (hard to find a good image with the purple decal)

457957990-washington-huskies-football-he

The new one is a satin finish with satin-like decals and facemask with black

back plate thing.

I'm one who likes what they did with the new finishes on the shell and facemask of the helmets. I think it made them more modern while staying classic. I'm not a fan of the new white helmet mostly from the texture and the lack of the stripes. I think if they had a white helmet with a satin finish (for consistency) with the stripes it would look sharp like the one from before the redesign. I also hated the black helmet with the Tennessee Titans style stripes that had no reason being there. I would think the traditional stripes on the black helmet would help things considerably. I'm also a fan of consistency and think the stripes would really help tie all the looks together.

SEAsig.png

How I view the Hawaii/Oregon and who did it first:

Hawaii:

• Non-traditional uniforms
  • Pattern instead of stripes (matches Hawaii's brand/logo/identity)
  • Leg band
  • Slightly modified font - still a fairly normal font
  • Despite the different elements, they were still congruent with Hawaii's identity/brand.

Oregon:

• Non-traditional uniforms
  • Non-school/athletic colors added and worn on a regular basis
  • Patterns - carbon fiber, diamond mesh (did NOT match Oregon's brand/logo/identity)
  • Heavily modified font (referring to the diamond plate uniforms)
  • Many different elements that were NOT congruent with Oregon's identity/brand.

Mmmmm I forgot about those Colt Brennan era Hawaii uniforms, I'm still a big fan of those.

But those Kellen Clemens era Oregon uni's, yikeeess. Oregon's modern uni's may sometimes lack school colors, but I think they still look miles better than the 2004ish set.

Those uniforms were the gateway drugs of Oregon's current uniform decisions.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived