College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

before we get swept up in Tennessee, i wrote a response to the adidas article - i didn't think it was very good at all:

In Response to Nike Bias: Adidas: Sports Apparel Laughingstock

I did not think it was a well written article, but few things he writes actually are. A number of factual errors stuck out to me, including — but not limited to — Nike taking over the NBA contract next season and who created Baylor's chrome helmets.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really digging that helmet stripe. Great way to get the checkers in without being too gaudy. Hoping the white helmet and the pants have it as well!

I hope they keep the stripe the same as in the teaser no stupid fade that is fine with the alternates but lets keep the regular ones classy.

before we get swept up in Tennessee, i wrote a response to the adidas article - i didn't think it was very good at all:

In Response to Nike Bias: Adidas: Sports Apparel Laughingstock

I did not think it was a well written article, but few things he writes actually are. A number of factual errors stuck out to me, including — but not limited to — Nike taking over the NBA contract next season and who created Baylor's chrome helmets.

yes HGI does the helmets but they are part of a Nike design, Nike really doesn't create the uniforms but instead licence them out to other companies that follow their specifications of what materials to use, and how to use them to follow Nike's design. so yes they are a Nike design still. the fact of the matter is while every company does have its hits and misses adidas has consistently missed when ever they try to do something new, versus Nike and Under Armour who hit the majority of the time, 2 bad uniforms and a bad helmet in the NFL, and a few other mistakes along the way are nowhere near on the same level as adidas with sleeved basket ball uniforms, bowling ball helmets, gigantic tilted logos, zubaz patterns, laffy taffy fabric monstrosities we have had to deal with over the past 5 years

Possible Tennessee leak

XZsicUB.jpg

KzPd4N3.jpg

Via @RockyTopPapa on twitter

Is there a reason why Nike almost always uses monochrome jersey/pants combinations for promotional shots of new uniforms?

i believe its because it's easier to see all the available options when you present them one color at a time. when you start mixing all the jersey, helmet, pants options it's visual chaos

I'm not sure I get that logic. When Nike does these photoshopped images they inevitably have one all-color and one all-white. If they did one color over white and another white over color, they would've shown all the same uniform components.

Side note... those beltless pants make me feel icky.

They have updated their templates continually over the past 5 years. When it comes down to it all football uniforms are made of the same spandex like form fitting moisture wicking materials (that were first created by under armour), the only differences are ventilation which Adidas simply does not have compared to the others.

Are you certain? I have held an NFL team-issued Seahawks jersey given to our school from the alumnus who wore it while playing for the Seahawks, as well as a custom UA jersey (2 years old), a stock UA jersey (4 years old), and a brand new Adidas techfit shockweb jersey (brand new) all within the last week, and they are all vastly different material, except for the 2 UA jerseys..

before we get swept up in Tennessee, i wrote a response to the adidas article - i didn't think it was very good at all:In Response to Nike Bias: Adidas: Sports Apparel Laughingstock

I did not think it was a well written article, but few things he writes actually are. A number of factual errors stuck out to me, including but not limited to Nike taking over the NBA contract next season and who created Baylor's chrome helmets.

yes HGI does the helmets but they are part of a Nike design, Nike really doesn't create the uniforms but instead licence them out to other companies that follow their specifications of what materials to use, and how to use them to follow Nike's design. so yes they are a Nike design still. the fact of the matter is while every company does have its hits and misses adidas has consistently missed when ever they try to do something new, versus Nike and Under Armour who hit the majority of the time, 2 bad uniforms and a bad helmet in the NFL, and a few other mistakes along the way are nowhere near on the same level as adidas with sleeved basket ball uniforms, bowling ball helmets, gigantic tilted logos, zubaz patterns, laffy taffy fabric monstrosities we have had to deal with over the past 5 years

Nothing is more bowling ball-ish than Arizona State's flame helmets.. As someone stated earlier, just because technology makes something possible doesn't mean it's a good idea!

The smokey gray jersey would look great without the black shoulder yoke. That absolutely kills it. Great helmet, though. From the pictures, I'm guessing that the helmet stripe on both helmets will begin as solid, just like it is currently, and then change to checkerboard on the back just like the pants stripe does.

They have updated their templates continually over the past 5 years. When it comes down to it all football uniforms are made of the same spandex like form fitting moisture wicking materials (that were first created by under armour), the only differences are ventilation which Adidas simply does not have compared to the others.

Are you certain? I have held an NFL team-issued Seahawks jersey given to our school from the alumnus who wore it while playing for the Seahawks, as well as a custom UA jersey (2 years old), a stock UA jersey (4 years old), and a brand new Adidas techfit shockweb jersey (brand new) all within the last week, and they are all vastly different material, except for the 2 UA jerseys..
They all might seem different, but they are all polyester and elastane blend fabrics that are form fitting and moisture wicking, the only real difference is how the textile made them and their weight. Thats why Adidas has the shock wave because it was weaved a different way, but really that's the only difference, the thread is the same as any other uniform. Further more, the elastane creates the tight fit, the polyester does not absorb moisture, under armour uses about a 88-12 polyester to elastane blend, I wish I had my game used Patriots jersey with me but I'm traveling but I would say it is about the same, maybe 85-15 ratio for them, and I do have a Adidas jersey too but not with me as well but I would have to assume that their jerseys have more elastane in their blend to create their skin tight jerseys. The thing that Nike and under armour excel at though more than addidas is putting zones in their jersey with increased ventilation in them, versus Adidas which is all one material with different weaves in the construction of the jersey in different areas, but nothing to allow more air through, or allow sweat to escape.

before we get swept up in Tennessee, i wrote a response to the adidas article - i didn't think it was very good at all:In Response to Nike Bias: Adidas: Sports Apparel Laughingstock

I did not think it was a well written article, but few things he writes actually are. A number of factual errors stuck out to me, including but not limited to Nike taking over the NBA contract next season and who created Baylor's chrome helmets.

Nothing is more bowling ball-ish than Arizona State's flame helmets.. As someone stated earlier, just because technology makes something possible doesn't mean it's a good idea!
Like I said each company has its hits and misses, but Adidas misses far more than they hit when compared to both Nike and under armour.

Possible Tennessee leak

XZsicUB.jpg

KzPd4N3.jpg

Is there a reason why Nike almost always uses monochrome jersey/pants combinations for promotional shots of new uniforms?

i believe its because it's easier to see all the available options when you present them one color at a time. when you start mixing all the jersey, helmet, pants options it's visual chaos

I'm not sure I get that logic. When Nike does these photoshopped images they inevitably have one all-color and one all-white. If they did one color over white and another white over color, they would've shown all the same uniform components.

right, if you're only showing 2 but Colorado this year has 4 pants options, 4 helmets and 3 jerseys, and thats the norm. i think it's just a faster read to see "this is all black - this is all white - this is all gold" than to mix them together and sort of lose track of it all. its just a bit more organized.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Possible Tennessee leak

XZsicUB.jpg

KzPd4N3.jpg

The Orange uniform looks nice. Glad to see orange pants. I hate when a team goes monochrome white with lighter complimentary colors (like orange).

I am not sure how I feel about the gray uniform. If its an alternate/pride/rivalry uniform, I guess I can be OK with it, as long as the tradition home and road look good... which they appear to be pretty reserved and clean. It looks the gray uniform is light gray from the chest down, a darker gray on the shoulder pads, and an even darker gray on the helmet. Not sure about that. Not sure at all. I'll say it again, as long as the traditional home and road are clean... I can deal with the Nike alternate.

I think the alts are an homage to the Smokey the dog not the mountains. They clearly evoke the distinct markings of their iconic coonhound mascot.

I don't know if the Adidas explanation of the uniform was posted already but I came across it just now on 247. Good stuff.

(Photo: 247Sports)

Louisville will have a new uniform design from Adidas this season.

Thursday, the shoe company released renderings of the new uniform concept, entitled 'uncaged.'

Louisville is expected to don the new uniforms Sept. 5 vs. Auburn in the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff Classic in Atlanta.

Here's the 'story behind' the uniform concept from the adidas news stream:

"Drawing inspiration from the Louisville mascot, the new uniform brings the Cardinal to life like never before from head to toe with an all-new, photo-real, high-def Uncaged Cardinal. Designed to represent the football team's style of play, the Uncaged Cardinal is fierce, attacking and always on the offensive.

At the center of the design, the helmet features the new Uncaged Cardinal on one side, while a chrome and red English "L" pays homage to Louisville's heritage on the other side. Further infusing the new theme, the shoulders of the jersey feature chrome and red wings symbolizing the Uncaged Cardinal in flight, which accent the chrome lettering and numbering outlined in bold red on the jersey, while the pants showcase a chrome and red English "L" on the left leg to match the helmet.

Made with a cutting-edge, proprietary yarn blend that increases durability and abrasion resistance, Primeknit is the newest generation of the adidas TECHFIT football uniform system. Primeknit keeps players cool and increases range of motion, giving athletes an unrivaled level of comfort and allowing them to perform at their highest levels. The jersey's redesigned padlock system improves tension over the shoulder pads. The jersey's redesigned padlock system improves tension over the shoulder pads, while the compression fit adheres to the player, making it difficult for opponents to grab, hold or tackle.

Rounding out the head-to-toe package is the TECHFIT gun show baselayer, featuring an oversized photo-real, high-def Uncaged Cardinal and red English "L" overlay on the chest, the adizero 4.0 Uncaged Cardinal gloves, and the adizero 5-Star 4.0 cleats, emblazoned with the new photo-real, high-def Uncaged Cardinal, wrapped 180 degrees around the upper of the cleat.

The adizero 5-Star 4.0, lighter than any competitor cleat at 8.1 ounces, has a SPRINTSKIN upper with SHOCKWEB reinforcement and a SPRINTFRAME plate that provides maximum acceleration and multi-directional traction."

How many cardinals in the world are in cages? It's not a typical household bird, is it?

Not only are they not caged, but in Kentucky it is illegal to own one .

1cc8f664161ab43ecd3db1ab30e03e71-2.png

It's just that bird law in this country...it's just not governed by reason.

Possible Tennessee leak

XZsicUB.jpg

KzPd4N3.jpg

The Orange uniform looks nice. Glad to see orange pants. I hate when a team goes monochrome white with lighter complimentary colors (like orange).

I am not sure how I feel about the gray uniform. If its an alternate/pride/rivalry uniform, I guess I can be OK with it, as long as the tradition home and road look good... which they appear to be pretty reserved and clean. It looks the gray uniform is light gray from the chest down, a darker gray on the shoulder pads, and an even darker gray on the helmet. Not sure about that. Not sure at all. I'll say it again, as long as the traditional home and road are clean... I can deal with the Nike alternate.

I think the alts are an homage to the Smokey the dog not the mountains. They clearly evoke the distinct markings of their iconic coonhound mascot.

This is pretty unlikely, but maybe. The helmet is clearly an homage to the Smoky Mountains.

110213_MUvsTEN_Q3_JS_001_t_w600_h3000.jp

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Possible Tennessee leak

XZsicUB.jpg

KzPd4N3.jpg

right, if you're only showing 2 but Colorado this year has 4 pants options, 4 helmets and 3 jerseys, and thats the norm. i think it's just a faster read to see "this is all black - this is all white - this is all gold" than to mix them together and sort of lose track of it all. its just a bit more organized.

Put that way that probably makes sense... with all the multi-combos. It's probably just my natural hate of monochrome that makes me dislike it.

Archived