College Rugby 15s Concepts by WizKid

WizKid

I wanted to start up a short rugby series since, the IRB Rugby 7s Series is coming stateside in about a month out in Las Vegas.

This series however will be about Rugby 15s, the most commonly played version of the sport. I'm basing my team selection off of the current CRC Division IA rankings leading towards the Collegiate Rugby Championship. If you are wondering, there is a separate set of championships for Rugby 7s sponsored by USARugby.

EDITS HAVE BEEN MADE.

#1 Saint Mary's College (CA)

I created a new crest from scratch and tried to incorporate elements of their current Adidas kits on the primary.

Here is the edited versions of the two sets.

Here is the edited versions of the two sets.

Layout%20St.%20Marys%20CA%20Rugby%20Conc

Layout%20St.%20Marys%20CA%20Rugby%20Conc

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

It should be noted that Mens rugby is not a NCAA sanctioned sport. USARugby thus created a system for club teams to compete at. The CRC and the USA Collegiate 7s Championship is what rugby union and rugby 7s players are gunning for in the postseason.

#2 Life University

Life U is a small private college located in the nearby Atlanta suburb of Marietta, Georgia. Life U is a powerhouse at all levels of college rugby. They earned the inaugural CRC title back in 2013. Life also is the home of USARugby's training and developmental academy.

Other than their play, the Running Eagles are known for their bright colored kits. The school's colors appear to be like a olive green but the athletic programs prefer to wear a dark green and white. Electric Green and navy blue are special nonofficial colors all of the college's rugby teams like to incorporate in their designs. (ie; Oregon with Grey and Black, Grambling State and Jackson State with red as an accent)

Layout%20Life%20U%20Rugby%20Concept%20Pr

Layout%20Life%20U%20Rugby%20Concept%20Cl

Layout%20Life%20U%20Rugby%20Concept%20Al

I love these templates and the overall aesthetic of these kits! I don't like the MC throughout the concept, and it's bringing my eyes away from the kits and to the watermarks. I understand the usage of a watermark, but it may be too excessive. Would you mind PMing me the template, I absolutely love it.

That's what- She

#3 Kutztown

Kutztown University is a small public college located in eastern Pennsylvania. Their undergraduate population is a little over 9,000 students. Notable alumni include; NFL great Andre Reed, MLB pitcher Ryan Vogelsong, and cartoonist Tim Warburton (Code Name: Kids Next Door).

The Golden Bears are another small national power in college rugby. However, they have not managed to win a national championship in the sport.

Also, I created two new logos to incorporate in their branding.

Layout%20Kutztown%20Rugby%20Concept%20Pr

Layout%20Kutztown%20Rugby%20Concept%20Cl

Nice Idea and good to see Rugby getting some attention on these boards. Some hopefully constructive criticism:

• The MC logo on the shorts is perhaps better place at the bottom of the shorts where it will be more visible. Things like scrums, rucks, mauls, lineouts and general tackling mean that that area of the body can be covered up.
  • "Rugby 15s" is better known as just Rugby Union.

...and some things I like:

• Saint Mary's: Nice colour balance on both sets. The way the hoops are placed is very typical of a rugby shirt design and definitely feels more suited to Rugby than say, soccer. Well done
  • Life U: Reminds me of an old England rugby design (in a good way) with the asymmetric design. Bold colours and that design are very suited to that college (who I have actually heard of before thanks to Rugby 7s).
  • Kutztown: Same reasons as Saint Mary's really. I also like how the numbers are put inside a square. Which is typical for Rugby since each shirt number is decided on position as opposed to a set number for each player. So changing numbers is a regular thing, so historically they tend to be sewn on and this gives that kind of feel.

I look forward to seeing more colleges.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Archived