NBA Redesign (NEW PRESENTATION; Portland Added)

macalesterscots

LOS ANGELES LAKERS

This was a team I didn't want to mess with too much, but there were areas that needed some work. For starters, the black "Hollywood nights" uniform is in the trash where it belongs. The logo is also modified slightly, replacing the black lines around the basketball with purple. The ridiculous-looking wishbone collar is gone with the v-neck look in its place. The collar striping is the same as what was used for most of the team's history. Also, the white alternate matches the other two jerseys by contrasting wordmark and number. The yellow number on a white number might look weird for some people, but I remember the Heat doing this after their championship and I thought it looked pretty good.

DJKIbq1.png

And those are the Lakers; nothing too controversial here. This next week is spring break so I'll be doing terrible things to my body have more time to work on these; I have different-looking Memphis and Miami concepts done and am putting the finishing touches on Milwaukee. C&C time! Come at me!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, so do you guys remember when I said I would be on spring break and thus have more time to work on these? Well, that was a true statement, but I never got around to uploading them until now. So here are Memphis and Miami. Hope you don't hate them.

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

I've never been a big fan of the Grizzlies name for Memphis; it just doesn't fit the region well and I may work on a name change with new logos for them in the future. As it stands now, however, I'm going to work with the existing team name. But I will get rid of the boring yawn-worthy triple(!) blue look they have sported for most of their history in the city. In its place is a similar but simplified color scheme of blue and gold. The jerseys are pretty much the same because I really like the design on their side panels, which are strange but appealing. I added the yoke-like shape from a previous Grizzlies alternate jersey and made that part of the regular set. The alternate features claw marks on the shorts, which might be a little cliched but I think it'll be all right.

HOME

RpDx0Qv.png

ROAD

3ZhnvuU.png

ALTERNATE

qUvM1Nx.png

And Miami. I'm okay with their current uniforms, but they don't exactly scream "Heat" to me, so a little recoloring was in order for this. I returned the color scheme of the days of the Miami Floridians, with orange playing a greater role and magenta relegated to an accent color. Also appearing for the Heat is a gradient in the wordmarks; I feel if any team would have a gradient it would be the Miami Heat. The resulting gradient makes it look just like a Miami sunset. I originally had yellow in place of orange but I wasn't happy with the way the away uniform looked; it gave off more of a traffic cone/construction worker kind of vibe to it. And the away uniform is still my least favorite of this series; perhaps I'll go magenta-to-white gradient with black outlining and see how that works. It would make it more consistent with the other uniforms.

EoKIQ9I.png

Ready for some C&C on Memphis and Miami; Milwaukee and Minnesota are done-ish so they'll be up whenever I get around to uploading them. Have at it you crazy kids!

Little mixed on both of them. I agree with mgdmhl in that I'm not crazy on the new colors for Memphis. Maybe find some shade of brown/tan/gold/whatever it is that could work with the Beale Street Blue that they currently use (which i am a very fan of plus it's a unique shade). Beyond that the unis look very nice, and so does the new logo. For Miami, I do agree that the gradient would work best for a team from South Florida, but I'm not completely sold on it. Maybe the gradient could be modified slightly - try having it go from top to bottom or from all sides to the bottom center. Also, I do like the away jerseys a lot, but the space between the pink edges of the "Miami" and the sides is dangerously thin. I would shrink the wordmark some to counter this. Another critique on the away jersey is that it's kind of hard to see the pink border on the orange background. Maybe tweak the colors a tiny bit to accommodate that? Beyond that, Miami looks great. Keep up the good work, macalesterscots.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Here's an update to the Heat. I ditched the gradient and instead opted for an additional outline, which allowed me to add the magenta in without it touching the orange. Additionally, it gave the uniform a neon-light type of look.

HOME

SQaYtAq.png

ROAD

KEu5iTn.png

ALTERNATE

vsPf5w9.png

I'm still deciding what to do with Memphis. The colors I selected did not go over well, so I'll be working with those a little bit. As I said before, Memphis and Grizzlies really doesn't mix for me, and an additional reason for that is the name Grizzlies seems to necessitate some sort of brown in the color palette. I think it'll be fine if it's just as an accent, but I don't want a team playing in the Fed Ex Forum to look like a bunch of UPS guys.

So, no comments about the Heat update. Aight.

Here's a Grizz update; same uniform templates, just a recoloring to Beale Street Blue and a darker brown. Decided to go with a white jersey as the alt because I am pretty adamant about avoiding a UPS team in the Fed Ex Forum.

HOME

g1FM8bs.png
ROAD

TYQ7AsQ.png

ALTERNATE

gYWjAN9.png

The pink on orange on the Heat's shorts hurts my eyes a bit, but beyond that it's a good upgrade. I like what you did to upgrade Memphis, and I do agree that a brown alt may raise some eyebrows from some people at FedEx. Maybe you could do a throwback uni to the black and teal away jerseys that the team wore in their early days in Memphis. Beyond that, good upgrades.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

I did not exactly receive a cornucopia of comments and criticism about the updates for the Heat or the Grizzlies, so I'll be giving this a semi-bump while I introduce my Milwaukee Bucks concept.

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

Generally speaking, if you have a name even tangentially related to anything Christmas-y, you shouldn't use a Christmas color scheme. Unless that's the theme you're trying to go for, which I don't think it is in this instance. I'm also a fan of neither the Allen-era purple nor the proposed addition of orange to the Bucks unis. I wanted to keep them close to their uni roots but not give off the Christmas vibe, so what I have is a mint/pistachio green paired with a darker green and a very dark maroon/claret. It gives the Bucks a heretofore unseen color scheme in the Big 4 sports while remaining close to their history. Also, gone is the deer-in-the-headlights/license plate look. In its place is a more motion-oriented buck, with it going up for a layup in a less-detailed version of this concept. And, of course, the best uniform in the Bucks' history, the so-called "Irish rainbow", makes a glorious return along with the slanted wordmarks. The font is George Fox, which keeps the character of a classic look while having some modern flourishes. The alternate wordmark comes from their beautiful mid-70s jersey.

Now enough jibber-jabber, here's the concept!

Gc9fV4k.png

And that will do it for the Milwaukee Bucks! Next, we'll take a drive westward on I-94 and across the Mighty Mississippi for my hometown team, the Minnesota Timberwolves. Bring on the comments!!

The brown is DEFINITELY new... One thing I would try out, the Bucks released that they would be using orange soon, maybe include some orange. I think that would fit the hunter-esque theme you have going on there. And I'm not too sold, unlike others, on pink in the Heat set. Other than that, it looks great, everything!

Archived