NBA Redesign (NEW PRESENTATION; Portland Added)

macalesterscots

The brown is DEFINITELY new... One thing I would try out, the Bucks released that they would be using orange soon, maybe include some orange. I think that would fit the hunter-esque theme you have going on there. And I'm not too sold, unlike others, on pink in the Heat set. Other than that, it looks great, everything!

Read his paragraph above the Bucks concept (don't just look at the pictures). He said he didn't like the idea of the Bucks using orange.

JeKhnr9.png

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wordmark on the Bucks alt doesn't look right. There's too much space between the u and the c.

Yeah I thought that looked weird too. I couldn't find an actual copy of the script anywhere, so I traced it off of a warmup shirt. There must have been some sort of seam or crease there which threw it off. I'm working on that right now It's been updated in the original Bucks post.

Personally, I don't think that font on the home/away works with such a classic design. I'd use a normal block font.

I thought it was close enough to a normal block font that it would be a good bridge between modern and classic. Anyone else have input on this?

The brown is DEFINITELY new... One thing I would try out, the Bucks released that they would be using orange soon, maybe include some orange. I think that would fit the hunter-esque theme you have going on there. And I'm not too sold, unlike others, on pink in the Heat set. Other than that, it looks great, everything!

Read his paragraph above the Bucks concept (don't just look at the pictures). He said he didn't like the idea of the Bucks using orange.

Bingo. Or, in this case, Bango.

Yes but it may look good, and yea, I do read the paragraphs too, I'm not one of "those guys"... But I see where you're coming from....

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update to the Heat. I ditched the gradient and instead opted for an additional outline, which allowed me to add the magenta in without it touching the orange. Additionally, it gave the uniform a neon-light type of look.

HOME

SQaYtAq.png

ROAD

KEu5iTn.png

ALTERNATE

vsPf5w9.png

I'm still deciding what to do with Memphis. The colors I selected did not go over well, so I'll be working with those a little bit. As I said before, Memphis and Grizzlies really doesn't mix for me, and an additional reason for that is the name Grizzlies seems to necessitate some sort of brown in the color palette. I think it'll be fine if it's just as an accent, but I don't want a team playing in the Fed Ex Forum to look like a bunch of UPS guys.

NO.

EDIT: Damn, I just wasted my 800th post on 3 characters, and one of them was a ! I like most of the other ones, but this one is not appealing because it is IMO too crazy. If you want to use the neon sign idea, use it on an alt. The home and away were fine in your first attempt, so why change? Overall, you deserve a :winner:

tinysig.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update to the Heat. I ditched the gradient and instead opted for an additional outline, which allowed me to add the magenta in without it touching the orange. Additionally, it gave the uniform a neon-light type of look.

HOME

SQaYtAq.png

ROAD

KEu5iTn.png

ALTERNATE

vsPf5w9.png

I'm still deciding what to do with Memphis. The colors I selected did not go over well, so I'll be working with those a little bit. As I said before, Memphis and Grizzlies really doesn't mix for me, and an additional reason for that is the name Grizzlies seems to necessitate some sort of brown in the color palette. I think it'll be fine if it's just as an accent, but I don't want a team playing in the Fed Ex Forum to look like a bunch of UPS guys.

NO.

EDIT: Damn, I just wasted my 800th post on 3 characters, and one of them was a ! I like most of the other ones, but this one is not appealing because it is IMO too crazy. If you want to use the neon sign idea, use it on an alt. The home and away were fine in your first attempt, so why change? Overall, you deserve a :winner:

I changed it from the first attempt because I received almost entirely negative feedback about the home and away. If I received more positive feedback about Miami initially, it probably would have stayed the same. Of course, if I do get more positive feedback now, I may change it back.

So I didn't get very many comments about the update to Milwaukee or about Memphis, and I really would like to see if they can be improved at all. I did the Bucks before their logo unveilings, but I don't think I am going to change them to suit that color and logo scheme any more than I did with the update by adding cream.

After a pretty big hiatus, I am finished with school for the year and will be back making concepts with relative regularity.

And here we are: as promised, the Minnesota Timberwolves!

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

The T-Wolves have had relatively few uniforms throughout its history, and their current look is quite uninspired. Posters on this board are always clamoring for the re-introduction of kelly green into their color palette, but I'm not going to do that because 1) I gave the Mavericks their kelly green back, and putting Minnesota in those same colors puts us right back where we began, and 2) just to be different. Having said that, I (like many others here) absolutely adore Tulane's color scheme; it is my favorite color scheme for sports and it is an absolute travesty that no professional sports team in North America utilizes it. I understand why no one does now though; you can't take Tulane's colors verbatim because everyone will think, "Hey, look! Tulane got an NBA team!" To remedy this, I took inspiration from dgnmrwrw's top-notch concept here (check out everything else while you're there too if you haven't seen it. Upper echelon work all around). This gave the Tulane vibe without beating you over the head with it and kept the slate blue which the T-Wolves have worn through most of their history. Logo is changed to the vastly superior wolf-in-ball logo (I know it adds another circular basketball logo into the NBA but it is so much better than their 90's remnant). Uniforms ditch the tree side panels but keep them on the shorts. A grey alternate is added with the tree neckline (a little too kitschy for me to use full-time but definitely a solid alternate option). The collars on the home and away use the same pattern as their inaugural uniforms.

J41FtQs.png

Them there's the Timberwolves. Say things about them with your mouth, then express those things you said with your mouth via the clicking of a keyboard onto this thread. The next concept is a nice voyage down the Mighty Mississipp to the Big Easy.

Just found this thread... These are great concepts. I like the T-Wolves concept but maybe you could make the outline of the background behind the word mark on the logo a little more consistent. I know that is the way it is on the current primary but you could try to make it consistent on both sides. I love the unis though!

56e455ee03d99_newmexico.png.a50dec533f84

I love that grey alternate. I'm one of the Timberwolves fans that wants green back in the color scheme, but I understand your reasoning for leaving it out and the set looks pretty great. I also like the trees you added above the wordmark in the logo. Nice touch.

8bVWNl7.png.df4b40fc8bee1fb7b4442d7fc55c

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have done about 2/3 of the association, but I think I am going to give it a rest for awhile. A point had been reached some time ago where I realized I was not really having much fun doing this; instead, it just seemed like a chore even thinking about ideas for the remaining teams. I know sometimes the process is not supposed to be fun, but rather hard work; however, I feel too burnt out to do any additional work on the NBA for the near future. Combine this with the minimal amount of feedback received throughout this series, and I feel it's time to stop. I have been doing some preliminary work for fictional leagues of mine, but nothing tangible from that front will be seen here for a long time. If anything, I will continue to keep chugging along with the rest of the NBA; however, I'm not sure I anticipate doing the entire league anymore; just a team here or there.

So adios. I'm going to post some of the work I haven't gotten to yet in the series, and you can feel free to comment on it (or not, whatever floats your boat).

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS

1ZsuvQi.png

NEW YORK KNICKS

M8WZDMb.png

PHOENIX SUNS

Yz2fFSb.png

The Suns logo looks incredibly good in purple like that! Better than the real one.

For the jerseys, you need to put the flaming ball back on there. The star is not a great choice for the Suns.

---

I love your T-Wolves primary logo and the Kings script you used for all the jerseys.

I did not exactly receive a cornucopia of comments and criticism about the updates for the Heat or the Grizzlies, so I'll be giving this a semi-bump while I introduce my Milwaukee Bucks concept.

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

Generally speaking, if you have a name even tangentially related to anything Christmas-y, you shouldn't use a Christmas color scheme. Unless that's the theme you're trying to go for, which I don't think it is in this instance. I'm also a fan of neither the Allen-era purple nor the proposed addition of orange to the Bucks unis. I wanted to keep them close to their uni roots but not give off the Christmas vibe, so what I have is a mint/pistachio green paired with a darker green and a very dark maroon/claret. It gives the Bucks a heretofore unseen color scheme in the Big 4 sports while remaining close to their history. Also, gone is the deer-in-the-headlights/license plate look. In its place is a more motion-oriented buck, with it going up for a layup in a less-detailed version of this concept. And, of course, the best uniform in the Bucks' history, the so-called "Irish rainbow", makes a glorious return along with the slanted wordmarks. The font is George Fox, which keeps the character of a classic look while having some modern flourishes. The alternate wordmark comes from their beautiful mid-70s jersey.

Now enough jibber-jabber, here's the concept!

HOME

lPPrd7x.png

ROAD

0VAOEyi.png

ALTERNATE

1UTNoID.png

And that will do it for the Milwaukee Bucks! Next, we'll take a drive westward on I-94 and across the Mighty Mississippi for my hometown team, the Minnesota Timberwolves. Bring on the comments!!

Bloody awesome set. Btw, what font did you use for the Bucks alts wordmark?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a few more I've made over the past however long. Also, note that I have a new presentation style. I made a few changes, most notably the Nets with some color alterations made to the Hawks and Rockets. I'm doing a total overhaul of Memphis at some point, so there isn't anything there now.

ORLANDO MAGIC

S3uu6iH.png

PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS

69ywib6.png

I'm liking the Portland one, its definitely something I haven't seen before in a blazers concept. What is the significance of the little diamond thing in the logo and the jerseys. The tapering of the striping is throwing me off a bit, I'd try it with the stripes same width.

I'm liking the Portland one, its definitely something I haven't seen before in a blazers concept. What is the significance of the little diamond thing in the logo and the jerseys. The tapering of the striping is throwing me off a bit, I'd try it with the stripes same width.

The diamond is on the Portland flag

2lx6s6o.jpg

Archived