Reworking the Denver Nuggets

Avenger

It's been a long, long while since I've posted here, but I had an idea on my brain that I wanted to get out there.

Ever since the Nuggets adopted the powder blue back in 2003, it's never quite worked for me. It's not that I mind the color, I've just never thought it was a fitting primary color for the Nuggets. I'm sure it's the era that I grew up watching them, but I've always thought the "correct" Nuggets colors were dark blue with bright yellow trim.

I think their current look is a bit of a mess, but I do like the newer pickaxe logo... almost. The basketball on it is terrible, and I think the handling of the colors washes it out a bit, but the idea is right.

I set out to create a new Nuggets look featuring a reworked pickaxe logo, while restoring the darker blue as the primary. I wanted a less bulbous typeset, so I replaced it with one that I thought was more fitting with the mountain/mining theme. Here's what I came up with:

lGZVkFz.png

If I'm really honest with myself, I'm not sure this variation works, but I thought it would be a fun exercise to try to resurrect the rainbow jerseys from the 80s. I still think it's the most iconic look they've ever had, but perhaps there's a reason it was left in that era.

wbvCHpe.png

I had fun putting these together, and I'd love to hear what people think.

The first concept is a winner, especially that fantastic primary logo. The 2nd iteration looks good too, I'm just not personally a fan of any sports team adopting all the major colours of the spectrum. Perhaps eliminating some of the colours, as the first commenter suggested, would improve the look.

While I don't disagree that the second concept doesn't quite work, I'm hesitant to remove any of the rainbow colors. The whole point is to emulate the 1980s classics, and I think the full rainbow is a big part of that.

alex-english-2-blue-Jerseys.jpg

While I don't disagree that the second concept doesn't quite work, I'm hesitant to remove any of the rainbow colors. The whole point is to emulate the 1980s classics, and I think the full rainbow is a big part of that.

alex-english-2-blue-Jerseys.jpg

But one way for the concept to (potentially) work would be to take away some of the colours, and modernize the look.

In my humble opinion, of course.

xOwzChW.jpg

Archived