How Do YOU Pronounce Athlete's Names?

dolphins91

There are a lot of names in sports that are hard to pronounce. You may also get bugged when somebody mispronounces a name. Post some names that you don't know how to pronounce or how to properly pronounce them.

ex. Pekka Rinne= (pe-KUH Ree-Nay) Henrik Lundqvist= (hen-rick Lunk-vist) Jonothan Toews= (jon-a-Then taves)

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Eric Lindros was on the Oshawa Generals and pretty much the hype of the hockey world, I heard him referred to as "Lindrose" or "Lindroas" (rhymes with dose).

I was surprised to hear that it was Lin drahs, and unintentionally mispronounced it all the time. Generally it was in the context of "bitch ass lindrose", or "crybaby lindrose", or "godsdamn lindrose and his bitch ass dad", or "gods I hope lindrose gets another concussion and forgets that he works here".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've always liked how Don Cherry blatantly mispronounces players' names. He once called former Oilers defenceman Theo Peckham "Teddy Peckman", to say nothing about his troubles with Alexei Ponikarovsky.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I've always liked how Don Cherry blatantly mispronounces players' names. He once called former Oilers defenceman Theo Peckham "Teddy Peckman", to say nothimg about his troubles with Alexei Ponikarovsky.

If a player isn't fortunate enough to be a GOOD CANADIAN BOY, then Grapes will almost certainly mispronounce their name.

I've always liked how Don Cherry blatantly mispronounces players' names. He once called former Oilers defenceman Theo Peckham "Teddy Peckman", to say nothing about his troubles with Alexei Ponikarovsky.

'Pat Roy' is always fun.

Fyi, I think Grapes is the only person in the world who calls the city Trois Rivieres as Three Rivers. I'm no scientist, but I'm not sure many Francophone Quebecois call any english termed Canadian towns by their french translation.

I cannot spell Dustin Bufflin's last name. I will admit that.

Bphulyn or Bpfluyn or whatever.

I remember having troubles pronouncing (& spelling) Seve Ballesteros. Same with Jose Maria Olazabal.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Favre has always bothered me to no end. You can't just switch the order of letters when you're Pronouncing a word.

Well, Favre isn't English so you can't apply English pronunciation rules to something that isn't English.
Even with English words our tongues reorder letters occasionally. Take "comfortable" for example. When speaking the "t" is switched before the "r". There are other examples of this too, so I have no issue when a non-English last name like Favre doesn't follow English phonetics when some English words don't even do that.

Stephen Gostkowski as gust-OW-ski. I cringe whenever I hear television broadcasters spit out "gost-kow-ski" and trip over their own tongues. It's been 9 seasons people, wikipedia has it right there. Get with it.

Favre has always bothered me to no end. You can't just switch the order of letters when you're Pronouncing a word.

Well, Favre isn't English so you can't apply English pronunciation rules to something that isn't English.
Even with English words our tongues reorder letters occasionally. Take "comfortable" for example. When speaking the "t" is switched before the "r". There are other examples of this too, so I have no issue when a non-English last name like Favre doesn't follow English phonetics when some English words don't even do that.

Must be a regional thing - I think "comf torble" sounds kind of jarring.

Also, pronouncing the "t" in "often" sends chills down my spine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When Eric Lindros was on the Oshawa Generals and pretty much the hype of the hockey world, I heard him referred to as "Lindrose" or "Lindroas" (rhymes with dose).

I was surprised to hear that it was Lin drahs, and unintentionally mispronounced it all the time. Generally it was in the context of "bitch ass lindrose", or "crybaby lindrose", or "godsdamn lindrose and his bitch ass dad", or "gods I hope lindrose gets another concussion and forgets that he works here".

The local news (Lancaster) would always say "Lin-Drose" when they did Flyers' highlights, and it used to drive me crazy.

I remember playing an old videogame, and, for some reason, dominated with defenseman Steve Duchesne. 6-year-old me thought it was pronounced "Do Chesney". Years later (like 2004), a friend of mine discovered this same game and kept referring to Steve "Dutch is in". It's "Do Shane", for those who are unaware.

I still don't know what Darren Puppa's pronunciation is Pyoo-pa or Poop-a, but I really hope it's the latter.

I feel like this needs to be a standalone hockey thread all its own...can't nobody pronounce none of them daggone names right. :P

I think the penultimate WTF name was that one dude whose last name didn't sound nothing like how it was spelled (edit: Stanislav Neckář is the one I was thinking of...how did "nets-cash" come out of that??)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

One that's always frustrated be is Stéphane Robidas. I hear people say it with a hard 'S' like "Row-Bid-ahs". It's pronounced with a silent H, so "Row-bid-ah" or "Row-bee-dah" (Both are technically correct).

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived