How Do YOU Pronounce Athlete's Names?

dolphins91

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just ask them.

Makes it much easier in the occasional games I serve as announcer.

This can't be emphasized enough.

I hate in social or work settings when someone is being introduced with a difficult name. In one case, I have a peer named Amit - and it's pronounced as AHM-it. Like someone from Boston is arming a gun, they AHM It.

Invariably, people call him UH-Mitt. Like they forgot the last Republican Presidential candidate's first name. Romney? Uhhhh... Mitt?

People, for the love. When someone introduces themselves to you, just mimic the sound coming out of their lips. You don't have to know how to spell it, just make that same noise. If they introduce themselves as Doo-Dad Flippersmash just F**** make that same goddamn sound.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I prepare to make a "D" sound but make an "N' sound instead, between "Wed-nes-day" and "Wennsday." I also pronounce the "R" in "February."

And I'm sure everyone had a good laugh at your expense when you told them you saw I-ron-man 3 on We(d)nnsday. Unless of course you fall into your own definition of a letter-flipping "goober" and pronounce it I-ern-man like the rest of us.
I don't watch comic book movies.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Haha, what are you, some sort of militant descriptivist? Pardon the :censored: out of me for distinguishing between a language shift and speaking lazily.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I feel like this needs to be a standalone hockey thread all its own...can't nobody pronounce none of them daggone names right. :P

I think the penultimate WTF name was that one dude whose last name didn't sound nothing like how it was spelled (edit: Stanislav Neckář is the one I was thinking of...how did "nets-cash" come out of that??)

To avoid confusion he introduces himself as Stan (neck-AR). Which to those who know him, only adds to the confusion.

Bye-FOOG-lee-in is too fun to not be right.

True story: Dustin's cousin Derrick signed with the Pensacola Ice Pilots the day or the day before I saw them in an away game against the Gwinnett Gladiators. I didn't know how to pronounce his name so until I was finally able to hear someone who knew how to say it, I called him Bye-FOOG-lee-in for a few weeks.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Haha, what are you, some sort of militant descriptivist? Pardon the :censored: out of me for distinguishing between a language shift and speaking lazily.

The topic was Favre's last name, and it was going just fine until you decided to jump in and contribute nothing more than name calling, which you have a history of doing. I really don't care how you say anything, and I'm obviously just giving you a hard time as a result of your initial attempt to provoke me. It was my mistake for furthuring the conversation by acknowledging troll-ish behavior.

Former Yankee mega-prospect / bonus baby Brien Taylor. I thought it was "brienne", not "Brian". As a little teenager my friend and I went to a AA game to get his autograph (I think he was in Albany but don't recall). He was mobbed, and when I got up to him I said "what's up, brienne?" He gave me a nasty look and wouldn't sign anything or acknowledge me the rest of the time I was there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Former Yankee mega-prospect / bonus baby Brien Taylor. I thought it was "brienne", not "Brian". As a little teenager my friend and I went to a AA game to get his autograph (I think he was in Albany but don't recall). He was mobbed, and when I got up to him I said "what's up, brienne?" He gave me a nasty look and wouldn't sign anything or acknowledge me the rest of the time I was there.

Albany-Colonie Yankees. Heritage Park. Near the airport.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Having a Polish immigrant great-grandmother, a grandmother who spoke Polish, and being in and around the Polish community, I see ANY Eastern European with a C in their name, I know it's "tch."

Brad Keselowski, I've pronounced it "Kez-lowski."

My grandmother's maiden name was Mackowiak, so I pronounce baseball player Rob Mackowiak, "match-CO-vee-ak"

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Favre has always bothered me to no end. You can't just switch the order of letters when you're Pronouncing a word.

Blame the French language. Lefevbre is another example of names that are not pronounced quite like they are written.

The English Barclays Premier League of Soccer™ has players from countries all over the world. Have a go at some of these:

Wojciech Szczęsny

Leonardo Ulloa (two Ls)

Adnan Januzaj

Bonus Team Name: Leicester City FC

Spoilered actual (supposed) pronunciations

VOY-Check SHEZ-Knee

Leonardo Uh-SHOW-a

ADD-nan YAN-ooze-eye

Bonus: "Lester" City FC

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Albany-Colonie Yankees. Heritage Park. Near the airport.

Thought it was Albany, thx. I actually saw him in Reading against the Phillies.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived