How Do YOU Pronounce Athlete's Names?

dolphins91

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I think Marchand told NESN that he prefers "marr-shand." He's from around Halifax, so it's hardly inconceivable that some English-speaking Canadians would screw up a foreign pronunciation. Of course, out of Brickley's mouth, it's "MAH-shann," but what can you do.

And then there's Andrej Sekera, who requested a change from "se-KAIR-uh" to "SEKK-er-uh" last year and then had them change it back.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My friend always pronounced Jocelyn Thibault's last name as "triple-A". He just said that's what it looked like to him and he knew it needed a French pronunciation, so it made sense to him. Even when he finally figured it out, we still call him on it...

One that really annoys me is that the NESN/NBC commentators always pronounce Brad Marchand's name as "Marsh-and" while it's actually supposed to be "Mar-shond".

Absolutely, & there's no 'd' sound for me. I'm not sure if his family says the 'd' sound at the end.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Danieal+Manning+Michael+Hoomanawanui+Hou

I used to say Who-manaou-ah-newy, but I guess it's more like Ho-oh-manau-ah-newy.

No, it's Uh-oh-manau-ah-newy, like Uh-oh, Spaghetti-O's. He went to Illinois and the radio guy referred to him as just "Uh oh" during game action, to save time. When he pronounced his full last name, I thought Uh-oh was his first name or nickname and his last name was Manawanui.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

hkwah

It looks wrong, but it's right. Can confirm, obviously.

I would just like to say that the person who posted the Seguin translation could not be anymore wrong.

According to the most credible source on the Interwebs Google Translate, Zdeno Chara is apparently supposed to be pronounced as Harr-uh

Another fun one is Joe Sakic. This time with some help from Wikipedia, Joe Sakic is of Croatian descent. His last name should be pronounced Shah-kitch

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

While watching todays Hertha game I again recognized the wrong pronounciation of John Anthony Brooks in Germany. Everybody here calls him 'Brukes' with a very long u. But it has to be like 'Brucks'.

That drives me nuts every time. I actually never heard the right pronounciation of the name Brooks by anyone (except me) in Germany.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Archived