FCS schools that could/should move up to FBS

__taylorc

Didn't you used to be able to move FCS schools up to FBS on the old NCAA football video games for the PS2?

You did...that's how I made Texas State three-time national champs on my game!

bYhYmxh.png

There are very few FCS schools left looking to move up to FBS. Two come to mind...

Liberty. They seem to want to move up at any cost but need someone to take them. Will it eventually happen with the Sun Belt? I'm not sure.

James Madison. They've entertained the thought but don't want to join the Sun Belt. Would C-USA give them an offer with UAB dropping? We'll see.

Don't see anyone else right now moving up.

6fQjS3M.png

There are very few FCS schools left looking to move up to FBS. Two come to mind...

Liberty. They seem to want to move up at any cost but need someone to take them. Will it eventually happen with the Sun Belt? I'm not sure.

James Madison. They've entertained the thought but don't want to join the Sun Belt. Would C-USA give them an offer with UAB dropping? We'll see.

I think there are a lot more school looking to move up in the near future. Call it an informed hunch.

I think there are a lot more school looking to move up in the near future. Call it an informed hunch.

Oh do tell more......

I, myself, don't see anyone else moving up in the near future.

I've heard the rumors with Liberty and James Madison... I've also heard of Jacksonville State and Eastern Kentucky were looking into making the jump.

But, with the autonomy era beginning, I think it'll be harder for teams to move into the FBS.

Now, moving to FCS might be more feasible provided you can pay for the move. I've heard rumors that Texas A&M-Commerce might look into jumping up to the FCS level (Southland, anyone?)

Speaking of moves into FCS, anyone know whats up with North Alabama? Last I head was in September saying they were talking with the A-Sun and looking for a football home.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Speaking of moves into FCS, anyone know whats up with North Alabama? Last I head was in September saying they were talking with the A-Sun and looking for a football home.

I've haven't heard a thing. Thanks to the autonomy issue and what went down in D-II in the last few years (Read: The committee to admit teams into D-II have made more then a few screw-ups), I wonder if North Alabama is getting cold feet.

Perfect. If any FBS conference would dip into the FCS, it's the Sun Belt. They stand at 11 members and the comissioner wants another team by Appalachian State. Liberty and James Madison both come to mind. I know it was also mentioned that EKU and Jacksonville State were considering it too. Those two could also be in the hunt. Personally, I'd like to see Coastal Carolina in the mix along with Liberty. I read a blog somewhere (I don't remember where) that NDSU could potentially get into the FBS gateway via the Sun Belt. I don't know if that statement holds much. To me it certainly doesn't.

FAS, FBS, FCS. A, B, C. Easy.

The A is for automatic. :)

Or autonomy.

I've been saying that for a while.

Except that the FBS/FCS acronyms aren't quite accurate anymore either. Originally the B was for Bowl, since FBS didn't have a playoff system like FCS (C = Championship). With the new FBS Playoffs, we might see a whole new set of names, especially if the Power 5 eventually break off into a new tier.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The Sun Belt doesn't want Liberty. Someone from the school visited all 11 Sun Belt ADs to pitch the idea, and even that did not get them a sniff. It wasn't until this past year that App would play them in ANYTHING out-of-conference because of some comments that were made by some of their previous administrators. It's going to take a major attitude shift on the other 11 schools' side, even with Liberty's shiny new facilities, for them to get into the Sun Belt.

The Sun Belt wants to dance with JMU, but the Dukes don't want to dance with the Sun Belt. I don't know if they are ready on the financial side to move up.

Like I've said before - this move is 100x more about money than it is on-the-field performance. App was on-the-field ready to move up in 2005, but wasn't ready financially until 2009-2010 (which you could argue was too late for the on-the-field performance until about October of this year). To make the move successfully you need (in some order): a university administration that supports the move, corporate sponsorships (might be the most important), boosters willing to dish out the cash, sufficient facilities, and potential to grow into the "next TCU/Boise St."

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Kent State and Akron are doing feasibility studies for their athletic programs. Expect to see some sports cut or even dropping the football teams to FCS as potential fixes to losing money. This is me shooting from the hip, not based on anything concrete.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Kent State and Akron are doing feasibility studies for their athletic programs. Expect to see some sports cut or even dropping the football teams to FCS as potential fixes to losing money. This is me shooting from the hip, not based on anything concrete.

Kent State is spending $35K on their study.

You aren't getting much when you are spending that little money.

The Sun Belt doesn't want Liberty. Someone from the school visited all 11 Sun Belt ADs to pitch the idea, and even that did not get them a sniff. It wasn't until this past year that App would play them in ANYTHING out-of-conference because of some comments that were made by some of their previous administrators. It's going to take a major attitude shift on the other 11 schools' side, even with Liberty's shiny new facilities, for them to get into the Sun Belt.

The Sun Belt wants to dance with JMU, but the Dukes don't want to dance with the Sun Belt. I don't know if they are ready on the financial side to move up.

Like I've said before - this move is 100x more about money than it is on-the-field performance. App was on-the-field ready to move up in 2005, but wasn't ready financially until 2009-2010 (which you could argue was too late for the on-the-field performance until about October of this year). To make the move successfully you need (in some order): a university administration that supports the move, corporate sponsorships (might be the most important), boosters willing to dish out the cash, sufficient facilities, and potential to grow into the "next TCU/Boise St."

Seriously, don't discount the money. New Mexico State tried to persuade the Sun Belt to let them in as an all-sports member this past fall. No dice on the grounds of travel costs.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived