New England Patriots White jersey/grey pants

damnyoutuesday

FWIW, scarlet is listed on Wikipedia with an exact definition like WavePunter states. The source is a book called A Dictionary of Color from 1930. But just because those authors gave definitions to specific colors and someone else put it on Wikipedia 80 years later, that does not make it the absolute truth.

843711.jpg

WavePunter, you are right, but also wrong... you should listen to the people in this thread that know about this kind of thing

Cosmic- I haven't argued with anyone yet, so to say i'm just not listening is a bit unfair. I do appreciate you doing a bit of extra research to at least validate my logic and reasoning and help explain where i came up with it. I'm still not sure why multiple people have told me simply that i'm "wrong" without actually giving me specific reasons why. Color WRX is probably the closest in explaining anything by somewhat discussing how RGB values don't represent the full formula in a Pantone code, but other than that, i feel like we're not having the same discussion. people keep trying to tell me how colors work etc, rather than comment on the issue i keep trying to go back to. In fact, i haven't even disagreed with what anyone has said. i have said that i agree 100% with several comments. my issue here is that people keep trying to tell me how pantones work and how colors names are just general descriptions, etc. i am aware of all these things. My main point with my initial post was to express my dissatisfaction with the fact that color names hold no real value (which supports the fact that i already know what everyone keeps trying to tell me), but that doesn't change my dissatisfaction with it.

We are a group of the "elite" when it comes to "nit-picking" uniform specifics, from logo design to uniform colors, etc. with that said, i find a huge problem with two separate institutions claiming to use "scarlet", when in fact NEITHER uses scarlet, and so on (you could substitute "Navy" or "Forest" for "Scarlet", same applies).

The issue was brought up when someone pointed out that fans will often correct other people for using the wrong name for their team's color, and i was implying that sometimes their team is just as incorrect by using the wrong color for that name. it's a two-way street, and the fact that color names exist for a specific reason should hold some value.

I used "Scarlet" as my example because it's the color i'm most familiar with since i've actually put a little research into it, and the definition was very precise, so i thought it made for a good example, but you could've substituted any other color name and my basic point would still be the same. I only defended the specific RGB for Scarlet because, like i said, it had a very specific definition that is easy to calculate.

Also, like i've stated a couple times, this debate went WAY off course. it became me defending the definition of scarlet and my mathematical calculation of RGB values, rather than my basic issue with teams just approximating their official colors.

Again, i understand and agree with everyone else. I'm not arguing what anyone's saying about how Pantones work, what they represent, why they use codes instead of names, etc. these are all things i entered the discussion knowing. but i also know that SOMETIMES Pantones DO HAVE NAMES (for example "Flame Scarlet", 18-1662), so my suggestion was simply that Pantone take the more common, more traditional athletic color names that people know, and assign specific Pantone values to them and include the name, so that in the future, teams who claim to use "Kelly Green" can all actually use Kelly Green, rather than multiple shades of green.

It would ultimately still be the Teams' responsibility to select the correct official color, but at least then it wouldn't be just a random selection, it would be with the knowledge of exactly what their official color SHOULD look like.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived