Sign in to follow this  
Burmy

"Mr. Cub" Ernie Banks dead at 83

Confirmed by the Tribune.

Known for his positive attitude throughout his career and life, "Mr. Cub" will truly be missed by the fans on the Northside and well beyond.

Today, let's ALL play two!

Great ballplayer, even better man.

Rest in peace, Mr. Cub.

I remember at one time WGN was showing a rebroadcast of the famous 1979 Cubs Phillies high scoring game....and there was video archive footage of Ernie Banks inserted to drive home the game winning run!!!!

Ted Williams died in 2002 the Red Sox won a few years later, maybe Ernie Banks can go up and ask God for a favor too.

I just finished an Ernie Banks biography a few days ago.

Interesting guy who really came from nothing, giving some credit to cotton picking to contributing to his quick hands.

And, despite coming up following Jackie Robinson, did play in the Negro Leagues early and had to stay in a separate hotel from his teammates early.

And, of course, always positive, always happy to be at the ballpark.

Let's play two.

Name synonymous with the sport that made famous a phrase that further emphasizes the childhood joy of the game he loved. Sad day but he will be remembered well.

I've dreaded this day for a long time. My all-time favorite Cub. Mad at the team right now for never letting him see them win it all.

Usually when a very accomplished famous person dies at an old age, I feel pretty much at peace with it -- he or she had a remarkable life. But when the biggest Cubs fan who ever lived never gets to see his team win the World Series, you're left with a remarkable life that's missing its capstone, and so I am sad.

Why must all the nice former ballplayers die recently (Tony Gwynn, Don Zimmer, Ralph Kiner, Jerry Coleman)! R.I.P., Mr. Cub. Say hi to Ron Santo for us. :(

R.I.P. Mr. Cub.

Quite possibly, the greatest Chicago Cubs player in history. He will forever be missed.

R.I.P. Mr. Cub.

Without a doubt , the greatest Chicago Cubs player in history. He will forever be missed.

Ftfy

Yeah, there's really no argument on Banks being far above the rest. Maddux's best years were in Atlanta.

RIP to a true ambassador of baseball :(

RIP Ernie Banks. One of my all time favorite players. Let's play two.

I came across this today: ErnieBanksCartoon_iru49ivi_jhcbt1pt.jpg

I was going to be cliché and say that heaven needed a power hitting shortstop, but I'll spare you. :P