San Diego Breakers - Fictional Football Team (fields added)

pitt6pack

I've done plenty of NFL field recreations using existing logos, so I wanted to take a shot at coming up with a fictional team, which I decided to call the San Diego Tides. This is supposed to be a professional football team, equivalent to an NFL team, but it's not meant to be an NFL expansion team. Just a final note, all my work is done in MS Paint, but I combat the pixelation by making the images large enough that it's not as noticeable, like my other work.

I'll start with the logo. I began working on this team back in May, and this is my fifth try at a logo and I think I've finally got it looking like I want. Many logos that feature waves end up being in an oval or a circle, so I wanted to try and keep the wave shape, which is also somewhat in the shape of a "C" (bottom left especially), representing California.

W8Ym8Rf.png

I've got my ideas for wordmarks and uniforms about done already, but I want to get the logo complete first because sometimes the logo can affect uniform or wordmark designs.

Let be know what you all think.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very smart like the c idea. Only issue it reminds me of ocean spray but I think that means I've done it so well.look forward to the rest of the look

I tried to distance my self from their logo and the past pro bowl logos by going with the wave shape and not a oval outline. Some of my earlier versions looked way to close to both the old pro bowl and ocean spray logos so I tried different things. Tried doing a front facing wave for a while but that was a disaster. I finally got to this one, refined it, and I think I've finally got what I want. C&C still welcome though, I'm always willing to improve.

Thank you for not making a tech disadvantage an excuse like almost all paint users. They be lazy and do bad work and blame the software.

That's not true at all. Paint has it's disadvantages, but no one does something "lazy" and then blames the program. That's an insult to every paint user on the boards. Probably over 85% of paint users do good work, and even more never blame the software for doing poor work. Please consider what you're saying there and think about it before posting something that is not true at all.

Thank you for not making a tech disadvantage an excuse like almost all paint users. They be lazy and do bad work and blame the software.

That's not true at all. Paint has it's disadvantages, but no one does something "lazy" and then blames the program. That's an insult to every paint user on the boards. Probably over 85% of paint users do good work, and even more never blame the software for doing poor work. Please consider what you're saying there and think about it before posting something that is not true at all.

A lot of paint users blame the software, but not nearly half. A lot of people post something terrible and then someone says, "this looks like it was done in paint!".

tinysig.jpg

A lot of paint users blame the software, but not nearly half. A lot of people post something terrible and then someone says, "this looks like it was done in paint!".

That's just for things that are pixelated or people using the .png versions of a template in photoshop. It doesn't mean a bad concept or something is low quality.

That's just for things that are pixelated or people using the .png versions of a template in photoshop. It doesn't mean a bad concept or something is low quality.

Here is the problem; lazy people and people looking for attention. Most likely they are both the same person when it comes to a bad paint concept. What we see a lot of are new people who join just so that they can get some concept of theirs up on the boards so they can be the center of attention and have everyone say how great their work is. These people most of the time are paint users because they are not serious about their work, or have no art background, so they don't have higher end software, like Photoshop. Once their work is up people notice right away its trash, and they treat it as such. Then the person who posted their work gets defensive and starts making excuses, like blaming paint, although the truth is they just aren't any good at coming up with a concept, or have no artistic ability. If you gave these same people Photoshop, most likely they would still roll out a bad concept and then blame their lack of experience or something.

When I first discovered the concepts forum, I was so excited because I wanted to post up my fictional league that I had created so everyone could say how great it was. Before I posted what would have been a disaster of a topic, I noticed how good some of the concepts on the forum were and I realized my work was just scrap, so I never posted that work of mine. I would have been completely embarrassed by the work I did on my fictional league if I had put it up in the concepts forum. My first real topic here was the Super Bowl Field Database, and I even had all of the Super Bowl fields done before my first post, but I went back and re did all of them, because they were not up to the quality they needed to be for the concepts forum. Even then I still had to go back and make many improvements during the course of the thread.

It’s the new people who come on and think they are great, and their work is great, and everyone is going to love it. It’s this day and age of the internet that gives people a self-centered mindset and they just want to be the center of attention, nothing more. That's how we get bad concepts. MS Paint gets a bad rap because its software that everyone with a PC gets free. The people, who use Paint, in most cases, are the new people who can't get over themselves and realize their work is awful. They don't want to take the time to learn how to make Paint work to their advantage. It took me two years to get proficient at paint, and I spent nine months of re-doing this concept here just for me to get it to a place where I wouldn't be embarrassed by my work when I posted it. Even now I think it still needs work.

This is the last of this discussion on this thread, because I made it to get some feedback and advice on my concept, and learn a bit more about making logos, because I have no artistic background what so ever, and I know there is always room for me to improve.

The area I have circled in red is starting to bother me a bit. Any suggestions, thoughts? The right most wave crest just doesn't fit in as well as I think it could, and it creates that little bulge in the dark blue area behind it, which is much more noticeable on some of the logos in my first post above.

S6dVwzC.png

I'll go ahead and add the secondary logos, but I'm still looking for some C&C on the primary with the back wave crest.

Secondary set (same as primary minus the SD)

Te9wCOC.png

Tertiary (just the SD mark)

n9V0Yys.png

Some notes on the tertiary logo. I want to just have one logo for the white background but I'm not sure yet which I like best, leaning towards the far right one because it is consistent with the other logos because the outline is darker than the inside of the logo, like the other two dark background logos.

Final note, the font is Bloodwax, with some slight modifications of my own. I downloaded it from Dafont, and their policy states fonts can be used freely as long as it's not for commercial use, and as long as their are no specific restrictions placed on the font by the creator, which there aren't for this font, so I'm okay to use it.

Nothing screams "Tides" to me... The wave is nice and presents a very nice "C" design but doesn't say anything about San Diego. I'd focus more on California Tide to make more sense - and even then, it's stretching it. A giant wave isn't necessarily a "Tide" - You'd be looking more for "Maverick" instead

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Nothing screams "Tides" to me... The wave is nice and presents a very nice "C" design but doesn't say anything about San Diego. I'd focus more on California Tide to make more sense - and even then, it's stretching it. A giant wave isn't necessarily a "Tide" - You'd be looking more for "Maverick" instead

Good point, the wave is a bit big for a name like Tides. The name Tides came about because San Diego geographically is sort of sitting on a bay are a sound, so Tides is more appropriate. Which then goes back to a big wave being a wrong choice for a logo. Maybe Breakers is a more appropriate name for the current logo. I explored the California idea a bit more with an update to the logo. I'm thinking a change to California Breakers, and moving the team more north to the Los Angeles area, since LA is close to some more famous beaches. Although California is a diverse state geographically, it does have the largest coastline of any state, so expanding from a city to the whole state could work.

Here is another crack at the logo. I wanted to get rid of the awkward back crest, and shaped it more into a "C".

Tides12_zpsa0d4b20f.png

Upgrade? Downgrade?

I think your update makes it look less like a wave and more like an abstract company logo. Waves are tough to turn into a logo but you've done pretty great so far. So I'll say downgrade.

I think your secondaries without the SD aren't really working, though. It looks too empty. The bottom left one kind of works. What if you try cutting it in half?

Definitely an upgrade getting rid of the smaller back crest

I think your update makes it look less like a wave and more like an abstract company logo. Waves are tough to turn into a logo but you've done pretty great so far. So I'll say downgrade.

I think your secondaries without the SD aren't really working, though. It looks too empty. The bottom left one kind of works. What if you try cutting it in half?

I think after taking some time to look at this, the removal of the back crest is an upgrade, but I think I should keep the wave size large, like in the first logo. So maybe a combo of the two. I didn't have too many problems with the first logo, just that back crest. So I'm going to try extending the front crest a bit, and keep the wave larger, because I think the large wave is more powerful, and maybe go from Tides to Breakers for the name. I still like San Diego as a location, I always think of the Pacific when I think of San Diego, and waves are the best way to represent the ocean with a logo. So I might keep the SD as the secondary and cut the blank wave.

Here is a combo of the last two, and changed some colors, as well as removed the large outline. I like the larger crest at the front, as it starts to give the feel of the wave crashing over in the front, especially on the white background. Unfortunately I could't get the SD to fit into to this one, but I think it looks fine without it.

GIvyx9U.png

And I'm going to make these the secondary logos.

n9V0Yys.png

I think the angle of the darkest blue on the bottom looks a little weird where it meets the lighter blues. What if you changed it to something like this shape?

bgsJCfQ.png

I like the new crest a lot.

Something along these lines?

sTkPW9w.png

I still kind of like the before a little better.

On another note, I'm getting work done on the wordmark. I have "San Diego" done, but not "Breakers" since I changed the name.

Archived