Continental Hockey Federation (Washington Added)

JerseyJimmy

I really like the jerseys but I have two small complaints...

1. I don't think the font you chose for the B in the alt logo fits the concept too well

2. Soldiers is a really generic name... Why not something else? Brigadiers, Generals, Battalion, etc.

Other than those two tweaks it looks great!

Fear the future, envy the past

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I don't think the font you chose for the B in the alt logo fits the concept too well

2. Soldiers is a really generic name... Why not something else? Brigadiers, Generals, Battalion, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Soldier

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Soldier
My b, I was unaware of the exact historical context behind the name. Just the 2nd tweak then

Fear the future, envy the past

Loving ALL of these. Excited to see each update.

For San Antonio, have you thought of a tan/sand color instead of orange or blue? It might get too monochromatic with the gold, but I think it might give the whole thing a good, weathered sort of look.

Memphis already has those colors.

And, as I was going through your league (again), I can't help but notice that there is an awful lot of gold accenting throughout the league. At this point, I'd say about half the league has gold as a part of their color palette. Color balance is so tough when building a league from scratch, but I think that's something to be cognizant of going forward. Looking forward to your continued work in this series!

I think you've got a great series here. I love that you've included team histories and even goal songs in your presentation - it helps you get a feel for the personality of the team and helps you feel like a part of it all. I've really, really enjoyed going through the league. Looking forwards to more!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

But why Buffalo Soldiers? The Buffalo Soldiers had nothing to do with the city of Buffalo.

Neither did Buffalo Bill Cody, but he has a football team named after him in the same city...

VANCOUVER HARPOONS

Established: 1947-48 Season

Garand Cups: 2 (1973-74, 1984-85)

Finals Appearances: 8 (1952-53, 1956-57, 1961-62, 1963-64, 1973-74, 1974-75, 1984-85, 2002-03)

Arena: Greenpeace Place, Vancouver, British Columbia (Capacity: 21,000)

Three Famous Players: Stan Mikita, Sidney Crosby (current), Chico Resch

Current Captain: Sidney Crosby
Goal Song: "Barracuda" - Heart

Mascot: Pucky (an anthropomorphic whale; adopted from the Hartford Whalers, their NHL affiliate, in 2000)

VancouverHarpoons_zpsjfucflis.png

NOTE 1: Greenpeace Place, the Harps' arena, is commonly considered the most environmentally-friendly sports venue in the world, due to it being completely solar-powered among other reasons.

NOTE 2: A revived NHL formed in 1965 to act as the CHF's minor-pro league, basically making them this universe's AHL. Those who remember the Auto's history will recall that the Autos are the original Red Wings/Falcons/Cougars. Nowadays, the Lansing Red Wings are the Autos' minor-pro team.

53Ocz8U.png

Guest darkpiranha

I like the look, but I'm really unsure about the whale logo. Not sure what that nub on top is supposed to be. a fin, I'm guessing, but since we don't see any side fins, it ends up looking more like the tab on a Christmas ornament or necklace pendant where you put the string. I'm sure it's an authentic native design, but it makes my brain immediately start asking distracting, irrelevant questions about what I'm looking at.

Also, the name of the team is Harpoons, which is of course what you use to hunt whales with, but seeing such a fully-formed whale as the logo, my thought is, "Oh, I guess that's the whale they/we are trying to kill." Yes, Hartford showed a whale's tale in its logo, but I wasn't seeing the full whale. It would be the same effect as calling a team the Hunters or Rifles, and having a friendly-looking deer as the main logo.

That said, I see that the team has a long history, dating back to a time when these sorts of branding questions wouldn't have been an issue, so maybe you can build in some fictional 'controversy' history over the logo, not unlike what the Redskins are dealing with today.

ON a purely design basis, I like everything about it, but there's a small disconnect for me between the serifs on the H, and no serifs on the V, especially since both have the same styling. I'd try putting serifs on the V to see how that works. Or, isn't the head of a harpoon V-shaped more or less? Is there a way to incorporate that shape into the V a bit more?

I like the look, but I'm really unsure about the whale logo. Not sure what that nub on top is supposed to be. a fin, I'm guessing, but since we don't see any side fins, it ends up looking more like the tab on a Christmas ornament or necklace pendant where you put the string. I'm sure it's an authentic native design, but it makes my brain immediately start asking distracting, irrelevant questions about what I'm looking at.

Also, the name of the team is Harpoons, which is of course what you use to hunt whales with, but seeing such a fully-formed whale as the logo, my thought is, "Oh, I guess that's the whale they/we are trying to kill." Yes, Hartford showed a whale's tale in its logo, but I wasn't seeing the full whale. It would be the same effect as calling a team the Hunters or Rifles, and having a friendly-looking deer as the main logo.

That said, I see that the team has a long history, dating back to a time when these sorts of branding questions wouldn't have been an issue, so maybe you can build in some fictional 'controversy' history over the logo, not unlike what the Redskins are dealing with today.

ON a purely design basis, I like everything about it, but there's a small disconnect for me between the serifs on the H, and no serifs on the V, especially since both have the same styling. I'd try putting serifs on the V to see how that works. Or, isn't the head of a harpoon V-shaped more or less? Is there a way to incorporate that shape into the V a bit more?

1. appreciate the lengthy feedback

2.yes the whale is just a logo version of some Inuit art i found.

15774454_1_l.jpg

3. You have a point with the serifs.

4. The whole whale->harpoons deer->hunters situation i think is a bit of over analysis in my opinion, but I suppose i can see your train of thought. Also the harpoon style i chose didnt come off as instantly recognizable as i hoped it would. I used a good reference picture to draw it, so its def a harpoon, but i agree to a point as well...it almost looks like a garden tool.

Guest darkpiranha

Maybe just add a similarly-styled fin on the side. On the original art, it kinda looks like that pointy thing is supposed to represent a fin. Maybe just rotate that downward a bit. Also, any particular reason you eliminated the pupil like it is in the original? Now that I see the original, the one you made sort of looks undead, lol.

These are all nitpicky things, obviously. What you have is great.

Seems like a team named after a hunting tool and an arena named after Greenpeace directly contradict themselves.

That is actually quite hilarious. I did not notice that.

Seems like a team named after a hunting tool and an arena named after Greenpeace directly contradict themselves.

That is actually quite hilarious. I did not notice that.

Hahaha good find! I didn't see that too!

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

I’m way behind the game on this series, but there’s a lot of interesting, completely original ideas being shown here. In general, it’s pretty good. And since much of what I would have said has already been voiced by others, I’ll just add a few more specific points.

Charleston: I feel like the primary and alternate logos should be switched, as it seems like the former is more of an “image” and the latter a better example of an icon or logo.

New York: I really think there should be a bit more contrast between the colors. Just too muddy.

Virginia: I really like the primary logo, the way you’ve made the V and the anchor interact. And the nickname “Admirals” was an appropriate choice.

Louisville: LOVE the colors. Dark, yet still vibrant.

Nova Scotia: I really, really like the idea of a Norse/Viking theme for them, but feel like the logos are a little rough at this point. (I would add that the alternate is bit more refined than the primary. The primary just needs some cleaning up, definition, and depth.)

Milwaukee/New Jersey/Quebec: I think your updates were all improvements. Way to listen to comments!

Buffalo: I have to say I’m not feeling the use of the nickname. Yes, ‘Buffalo Soldiers’ is a term that exists in American history, but its connotation is certainly muddy at best. While the regiments historically were loyal, brave, et c., they also were faced with (and thus evoke a sense of) racial discrimination and bias. It just seems to me like a bit too much of a loaded name when it comes to American history, particularly for an ice hockey team that would, if we are being honest, be composed mostly of white players. (For instance, I wouldn’t name a hockey team in Tuskegee, Alabama the ‘Tuskegee Airmen.’)

Vancouver: Well, I certainly love the colors and the style of the logo!!

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived