Continental Hockey Federation (Washington Added)

JerseyJimmy

Guest darkpiranha

Love this, but agreed that the logo is too dark, especially if the home jersey is going to remain black. Also agreed that the trees on the bottom are cool, but just slightly too busy. Maybe minimalizing them a bit more and/or sublimating them.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see the concept because I'm on a kindle, but Lumberjacks is not a good identity for Milwaukee. The timber industry is on the opposite end of the state.

Eh, good point. To be fair, they're an Original Ten team, so it could have been one of those quirks that ended up staying. It's the thought for the state that counts, right? (Meta: I originally had this team in the Twin Cities, and I decided on the name while they were still there.)

It's your series and the decision is ultimately yours, but I would highly suggest you put this team back in Minnesota. Now that I actually see the concept (great work BTW, just not for Milwaukee), I can tell you there is NO WAY that alternate logo would work for a Milwaukee team. The implication that Wisconsin is an exclusively rural state is a very sore issue here, and for as much noise as urban Wisconsinites made about the design that was chosen for the state quarter, I can't see the Milwaukee community embracing a logo that contains a farm house.

Putting the team back in Minnesota runs into the same problem. There's also this implication of Minnesota equaling rural forest area, as evidenced by the Timberwolves and the Wild. (Although I guess Lumberjacks makes a little more sense given the history of the Twin Cities as a timber hub) Even when the majority of the area is rural farmland and the majority of the population is in a concentrated area of counties (Wisconsin is different in that regard because you have larger cities like Madison and Green Bay) I'm genuinely curious: how do the Brewers/Bucks cater to Madison and Green Bay via their identities?

The urban/rural divide isn't unique to Wisconsin or Minnesota; it's a nationwide thing (particularly in the Midwest).

I like this conversation, getting to the bare bones of city/state identities as it relates to sports teams. Good stuff. But we should maybe bring this elsewhere so as to not derail this (excellent) thread.

I agree, and I wouldn't object if a mod wanted to start another thread for it.

But the fact that (as you mentioned) the Twin Cities actually have a history with the timber industry by itself makes this identity more appropriate for a team based there. I also think the nature of the Twin Cities' market in having to unify two historically rival cities... and thus tending to be named for the entire state rather than the cities themselves... opens them up to adopting identities more in line with rural Minnesota as to not favor one of the cities over the other. Personally, I'd like to see more teams in the Twin Cities adopt more locally-centered identities. Perhaps we'll see that when they get a MLS side.

While the urban-rural divide is hardly unique to Wisconsin, I do think it's more pronounced here than in most places... and the dysfunctional sh~tshow that has been our state politics for the past 4 years has made it even worse. I could go into more details, but I'll save that for the spin-off thread if it happens.

As far as what the Brewers do to cater to outstaters. For one, they built Miller Park where County Stadium was, in the middle of nowhere surrounded by freeways, insetad of downtown where the locals wanted it. They also put "Brewers" rather than "Milwaukee" on their road jerseys. Historically, they've also usually had a logo that featured an outline of Wisconsin in whatever identity package they've been using. But even then, they saw little support outside of Milwaukee and its suburbs until they affiliated with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. Now the Brewers have a decent following in the Fox Valley. But the western parts of the state are still more loyal to the Minnesota teams... except for the Packers and Badgers... the teams that don't play in Milwaukee.

sytbo7kgyb9h9a0u75gurml9m.gifhmxi68n2tptcr9xj5nefx1o11.gifx1poitlhifc8srw64hicefsh9.gif

The Bucks used to play games at the UW Fieldhouse (Madison) and the Brown County Arena (Green Bay), but they've never had much of a following in other parts of Wisconsin. In fact, they have the most localized fanbase of all the Wisconsin teams. Outside of the Bucks name... a reference to the official Wisconsin state wildlife animal (not to be confused with the official state animal, the badger)... they've never really branched outside of the Milwaukee media market the way the Brewers have.

At least if Milwaukee were to have a hockey team, they could concievably put an AHL affiliate in Green Bay or Madison (but more likely Green Bay, since I don't see a Madison AHL team outdrawing the Badgers).

Anyway, sorry to threadjack. But hopefully my perspective is of some use to the OP.

Due to feedback, i think i will take out the forest graphic from Milwaukee, it would uncrowd it a bit...plus i can repurpose that for a future team where it would possibly be more appropriate. Boston is on deck and should be finished up by tomorrow.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

BOSTON MINUTEMEN

Established: 1947-48 Season

Garand Cups: 3 (1958-59, 1966-67, 2005-06)

Finals Appearances: 6 (1954-55, 1955-56, 1957-58, 1958-59, 1966-67, 2005-06)

Arena: Harvard Coliseum, Cambridge, Massachusetts (Capacity: 19,600)

Three Famous Players: Ted Lindsay, Steven Stamkos (current), Martin Brodeur

Current Captain: Steven Stamkos
Goal Song: "(You Can Still) Rock In America" - Night Ranger

Mascot: Minute Man (a cartoonized Revolutionary War militia fighter)

BostonMinutemen_zpsf832fce0.png

53Ocz8U.png

Archived