Worst current on-field hats in MLB

damnyoutuesday

I'm not sure how to define "worst", but these two annoy me more than any I others that come to mind. The Reds will be using this thing for a 16th season in 2015, and it looks just as out-of-place now as it did in 1999. At least it's only used on the road.

Same goes for the Nationals road cap. It just doesn't...fit...

pMLB2-3537270nm.jpgpMLB2-8892719nm.jpg

As others have pointed out, the Braves, on the other hand, don't look right as a solid. Same for the A's. I guess it's a matter of what you're used to, but more often than not, a solid cap is a better choice.

I dont know if I can agree with the latter part, because I can think of a quite few more teams that look better not being a solid(Like my orioles, for example)

Oh, there are a handful of two-toned caps that look great and should stay that way. The Orioles black-orange road cap is one of my favorites in the history of the game. Others that work: Braves, Indians, A's, and Pirates mustard throwback. In the past, the Rangers, Twins, Angels, White Sox, and Mariners have pulled it off pretty well.

There have been a few others that looked out of place, though: Dodgers (silver bill), Rockies (purple bill), Mets, Astros, Cubs, Reds, and Tigers come to mind.

And we're just talking about the teams that have tried it. There are a slew of other teams that have never done it and will look better if they don't. This is all admittedly VERY subjective, though, with much of it based solely on what I'm used to seeing.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how to define "worst", but these two annoy me more than any I others that come to mind. The Reds will be using this thing for a 16th season in 2015, and it looks just as out-of-place now as it did in 1999. At least it's only used on the road.

As others have pointed out, the Braves, on the other hand, don't look right as a solid. Same for the A's. I guess it's a matter of what you're used to, but more often than not, a solid cap is a better choice.

I dont know if I can agree with the latter part, because I can think of a quite few more teams that look better not being a solid(Like my orioles, for example)

Oh, there are a handful of two-toned caps that look great and should stay that way. The Orioles black-orange road cap is one of my favorites in the history of the game. Others that work: Braves, Indians, A's, and Pirates mustard throwback. In the past, the Rangers, Twins, Angels, White Sox, and Mariners have pulled it off pretty well.

There have been a few others that looked out of place, though: Dodgers (silver bill), Rockies (purple bill), Mets, Astros, Cubs, Reds, and Tigers come to mind.

And we're just talking about the teams that have tried it. There are a slew of other teams that have never done it and will look better if they don't. This is all admittedly VERY subjective, though, with much of it based solely on what I'm used to seeing.

For the twins, what do you mean by "in the past"? They still have the red bill hat

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

For the twins, what do you mean by "in the past"? They still have the red bill hat

This one. I always thought this was a good-looking cap...

pMLB2-17040038reg.jpg

The current one doesn't look right, to me, and again, I'll confess that it may just be because I'm so used to the solid navy one.

This one. I always thought this was a good-looking cap...

pMLB2-17040038reg.jpg

The current one doesn't look right, to me, and again, I'll confess that it may just be because I'm so used to the solid navy one.

I forgot about that one. Ya, that one is one of the best (all 4 of them) hats they've ever worn

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

^

That red hat is easilly my LEAST favorite Twins cap.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Pirates Alt: Totally unnecessary. The regular hats are beautiful.

A's Road: Emphasizes white when the A's are a predominantly green-and-gold team.

If the Pirates ever decide to remove the popular alternate jersey, the hat will likely go as well. The hat logo is a match for the black jersey.

I still hate it. I'm a proponent of two concepts:

One cap per team, and at worst one home and one road

The pirates P should be a yellow p without borders of any kind on a full black cap

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Pirates Alt: Totally unnecessary. The regular hats are beautiful.

A's Road: Emphasizes white when the A's are a predominantly green-and-gold team.

If the Pirates ever decide to remove the popular alternate jersey, the hat will likely go as well. The hat logo is a match for the black jersey.

I cannot dispute that the Pirates alt hat is totally unnecessary. However, it's still, in a vacuum, a nice enough hat and not event close to the worst.

I think the new Seattle hat is trying to make a serious run. It's proof that just recoloring logos does not usually work; it's a decent logo and the colors are great; but it's awful.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Okay, im going through both leagues and doing it. Excluding Camo because they all belong on the list in general, but will put a camo one on if it is especially terrible for a camo cap.

National League:

pMLB2-17286002dt.jpg

Just, that a i cant do. Put the regular A on it, in blue or red, and im all for it

A note on Colorado: I like the two tone cap, but would look better with a brighterr purple bill.

pMLB2-20095567dt.jpg

pMLB2-20597676dt.jpg

Black P, black bill makes it terrible even for a camo hat

pMLB2-15001202dt.jpg

get rid of the white and black outlines, and it makes a fine BP cap

pMLB2-5456252dt.jpg

Unnecessary and terrible

I dont like the padres look, but the hats are good, even the cap that goes with the camo jersey is nice

Ill get to the AL later

5qWs8RS.png

• 2 weeks later...

No argument from me that the Indians' red Block C is an eyesore. But while its navy counterpart isn't beloved on this site, it's actually very popular here in Cleveland. I see way more of the navy Block C hats than Wahoo hats around town these days. The Block C has received a much better reception than the ill-fated Script I hat a few years ago.

Bland, generic and light navy... Indians finally switched back to dark navy so only San Diego and Milwaukee remain. This cap looks like it belongs to a "create-a-team" from a 90's sports game where you could generate a cheap looking logo with any two letters.

pMLB2-4237762dt.jpg

pMLB2-11543488nm.jpg

No.

It drives me nuts that New Era can't figure out how to use white thread on the white front panel. The black stitching looks awful.

To me, even admitting my bias, is a small nitpick in one of the best hats in the league. I just hate the copy cats because it ruins the uniqueness, and thankfully the offenders are in the same league as the Orioles

5qWs8RS.png

Archived