Flint Tropics Hockey - OHL

Dbroalexander

I'm not sure how I feel about that typeface...it seems too serious and corporate for a name like "Tropics". Though you need something condensed so the logo doesn't become too wide. I think the lowercase font in your second photo is better, but still not quite there. It's a little too playful.

I think that's the genius of it. The name is goofy and fun but the typeface is serious and professional

"Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how I feel about that typeface...it seems too serious and corporate for a name like "Tropics". Though you need something condensed so the logo doesn't become too wide. I think the lowercase font in your second photo is better, but still not quite there. It's a little too playful.

Is Tropics really a goofy name though? I mean, without that movie there is no goofy part about it. I believe The Mighty Ducks was probably the most goofy professional sports brand of all time but they did a fantastic job of keeping it serious apart from the movie. Aside from the Wild Wing jersey. I believe he should keep it the professional way he's going with it. Have the goofiness just be that the identity was from a comedy movie but still being it's own serious brand.

Is Tropics really a goofy name though? I mean, without that movie there is no goofy part about it. I believe The Mighty Ducks was probably the most goofy professional sports brand of all time but they did a fantastic job of keeping it serious apart from the movie. Aside from the Wild Wing jersey. I believe he should keep it the professional way he's going with it. Have the goofiness just be that the identity was from a comedy movie but still being it's own serious brand.

It is because of where it is. If it was in Miami it wouldn't be that goofy however because it's in Michigan it's pretty goofy

"Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda

It is because of where it is. If it was in Miami it wouldn't be that goofy however because it's in Michigan it's pretty goofy

Where the hell have I been? Dbro why u do this? This is now terrible. Hate it. Scrap the idea. It's over.

So, messing around with jerseys, and I'm not so concerned with the design itself yet, as what's below is probably going to end up being the final design, but I'm concerned with how the logo looks. The logo doesn't look right to me when its not blue. Thinking about giving the logo a double outline to fix that.

2w6djfd.jpg

2sbap0j.jpg

Also exploring some tertiary logo ideas. Perhaps to be used as a different shoulder patch or merchandising.

15cgf36.jpg

The top two jerseys look best. For the bottom right--and sorry I'm just noticing this now--the T/tree comes across too much like a C.

As for the tertiary, that's a tough one because it depends on application. As part of the Tropics, the slanted/"italicized" version (top left) makes sense and looks best. As a shoulder patch, bottom middle (but with a solid O) would look best.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

I think a double outline would be best, but I think and Orange logo with white outline would fix the Teal jersey issue. Also for the shoulder patch, I suggested the idea of using a wheel like the Flint Generals did but instead of using the arrowhead spear in the middle, using a palm tree.

I love the jerseys though

Where the hell have I been? Dbro why u do this? This is now terrible. Hate it. Scrap the idea. It's over.

Seriously dude. DBro I want you to see this thread through to the end

28ahpn4.jpg

NbyQSAg.pngODa02WA.pngChTDCVV.png

I dislike the resemblance of the home and road to the Pens and Sens auto fill unis. I feel like with the colors and logo you created it can be better.

I personally felt like it would be better for a team like this to go with a modern "swoopy" look. I didn't want the jerseys to look like the Pens and Sens, so I made the arms more interesting and colorful. I felt that if I went too traditional with just stripes it would end up being boring and not fit the team name and branding very well.

Also, I am surprised not one negative thing has been said about the alternate uniform. I expected a lot of jeers. I think I'm a bit disappointed.

That alternate, what an atrocity. Burn it with fire and dig it a grave. Dig it back up and hide it in a cave.

(is this what you're looking for? :) but I honestly think it fits the branding well)

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

I really like the concept. Nice work! Couple things I would change about the alternate though. I like the curved stripes you went with but what about making the pants white and continuing the stripe down the pant leg just like the white uniform in the movie below? Also maybe you could put the Tropics wordmark on the helmet to make it a little bit different than the other white helmet.

2lwufxt.jpg

This is magnificent and all. I want to propose something. What if you named them the Flint and Steels. Obviously a logo change would be needed,and a color change. Honestly it would need a whole revamp. Can't wait to see the updates with my suggestions, thanks.

Archived