Sign in to follow this  
CLAW

The new AHL Pacific Pod Name Ideas

Speaking of San Diego, I came across this little tidbit today. All uses of "Gulls" have been expunged from the WSHL databases for this year. Team is simply referred to as "San Diego."

JjY5FpH.png

Speaking of San Diego, I came across this little tidbit today. All uses of "Gulls" have been expunged from the WSHL databases for this year. Team is simply referred to as "San Diego."

JjY5FpH.png

Well that's new isn't it. That would seem to support the idea that they're going to be the San Diego Gulls.

San Diego also posted this on their social media accounts today:

"The San Diego Gulls have some exciting news to share with our fans. Formal Press Release will be released next week. LETS GO GULLS!!!"

I can almost guarantee that's what it is.

I work with some people in the WSHL's Long Beach Bombers. I'll see if I can whip up some info.

Rumor around here is the AHL Sharks will move to Sacramento or somewhere else more permanent so I think we might see a "California" as a name.

Rumor around here is the AHL Sharks will move to Sacramento or somewhere else more permanent so I think we might see a "California" as a name.

The California Love.

Stockton Grocers

San Diego Jazz Flutes

Ontario Canada

Bakersfield Cakes

San Jose Theodores

But in all seriousness I really hope these teams all have their own identities and don't just copy their parent clubs i.e. what Manchester did this year.

Condors, Barons, and even Oilers could all work for Bakersfield. I actually don't mind minor league clubs using their parent club's name as long as it's still relevant to where the minor league club is and can put their own spin on it, which is the case with Bakersfield.

Condors, Barons, and even Oilers could all work for Bakersfield. I actually don't mind minor league clubs using their parent club's name as long as it's still relevant to where the minor league club is and can put their own spin on it, which is the case with Bakersfield.

I'd love to see Wildcatters, even.

Stockton Grocers

San Diego Jazz Flutes

Ontario Canada

Bakersfield Cakes

San Jose Theodores

But in all seriousness I really hope these teams all have their own identities and don't just copy their parent clubs i.e. what Manchester did this year.

Don't know that the Monarchs were a straight copy. Though they were obvious in their affiliation which makes some sense. It makes more with their new proximity to their parent. But as it is we know Ontario will remain Reign, it seems clear San Diego will be Gulls, the question is still open on the other 3 but you can bet that San Jose at least will be pretty uninspired.

Bakersfield has announced a name-the-team contest. No more Condors.

http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/name-the-bakersfield-ahl-team-contest/

Bring back the Fog! I wanna see this beautiful logo in use.*

7242_bakersfield_fog-primary-1996.png

*Not really. But seriously what's with the dripping blood letters? Is it that fog that turns people inside out?

Considering that the logo was conceived by Mike Butters - best known as Paul Leahy of Saw, but who after a playing career in the minors was the Fog's GM and was later GM of the AHL Norfolk Admirals, it makes perfect sense to me.

Butters later ran the Helena Bighorns (AWHL/NAHL) and Queen City Cutthroats (NorPac). When the Cutties were first announced Butters punked the Helena media at the press conference by declaring the team would be called the Helena Handbaskets.

The Ontario Royal Crowns

The Stockton Tractors/ Backhoes

Ontario is remaining the Reign it seems. Stockton will be the Flames unfortunately. No imagination in that organization apparently.

Stockton will be the Flames unfortunately. No imagination in that organization apparently.

Stockton Wildfire?

I think the Flames should keep the the name and branding for both teams. Just change the colors of the Thunder to Flames colors.

Stockton will be the Flames unfortunately. No imagination in that organization apparently.

Stockton Wildfire?

Would have been better. But nope, they're going to be the Stockton Flames...