The new AHL Pacific Pod Name Ideas

CLAW

Winnipeg is moving its AHL franchise to Winnipeg. Welcome back Moose!

Montreal in turn is moving its AHL team to the recently vacated St. John's for a few years (where Winnipeg's AHL team was, and will be moving to Laval once their arena is done), leaving Hamilton without hockey for the time being.

Wow so St. John's will be sans team long term too? That's too bad, though I do understand it given the remote nature of the IceCaps.

Hopefully the Winnipeg move is like San Jose's and is only short term. Makes no sense to dilute the home NHL market. Particularly in both team's cases with San Jose having their first significant attendance decline in years and the history Winnipeg has with losing the Jets...

As for names though, makes sense that Moose will be the returning name for Winnipeg. And it makes sense that St. John's apparently temp team would remain IceCaps until the Laval move.

I don't see the Winnipeg move being a long term one, however, there is a high demand for Jets tickets, and I can see the Moose drawing well. There is a lot of talk about Thunder Bay, but I have no idea if it is serious talk. From what I've gathered the Jets owners want a WHL team rooming with the Jets long-term over the AHL. I see Winnipeg as more of a stop-over.

As for the Ice Caps, I hope they are able to find a long term partner over the next two years. Maybe Quebec if they manage to acquire a team? And there is persistent rumor that the Bulldogs will live on as an OHL entity at the expense of The Erie Otters. I would personally love to see them don the Tiger moniker.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't like this direction we're going where the AHL looks like the NHL with the dots on the map shifted 100 miles or less. This league barely stands on its own two feet with New York and Los Angeles in it, how is its Bakersfield/Binghamton counterpart supposed to make it work?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I really don't like this direction we're going where the AHL looks like the NHL with the dots on the map shifted 100 miles or less. This league barely stands on its own two feet with New York and Los Angeles in it, how is its Bakersfield/Binghamton counterpart supposed to make it work?

By being different markets at least in the west coast cases. Folks from Bakersfield or San Diego for example don't often, if at all, attend games in the Greater LA area. The AHL teams are tapping into markets that are currently not serviced by the NHL and take nothing from them while adding very large areas to the AHL it's chosen to ignore until now in favor of smaller markets with less potential.

That said, what San Jose and Winnipeg are doing does not conform to that and is a different issue.

But the only new market we're actually seeing is San Diego. Bakersfield, Ontario, and Stockton were all in the ECHL, and San Jose has the Sharks.

Bakersfield, Ontario and Stockton were ECHL markets... but they were not AHL markets. And they were ECHL markets that all outperformed the AHL markets they're replacing in every case. So AHL is making itself stronger by transitioning to them. Add in San Diego which could frankly be an NHL market if they had the arena for it and they've made their case through simple numbers.

Or a Lightning minor league affiliate. For an NHL team, it's a bit much.

Maybe it'd be a bit much for an original six or Class of '67 team, but I think a 90s expansion team like the Lightning ought to be able to pull it off. It'd be a lot more true to their identity than what they have now.

The roundel: Not bad, really!

The jerseys: Why do you keep doing this?

The flag patches: Jesus Christ seriously knock it off.

Oh well. They'll move in 3 years, anyway.

EDIT: The Reebok wordmark on the front means the Flames bought Calgary-model Gamewear jerseys off the rack and just glued on some patches.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Very cool. Glad they're also keeping the ECHL name alive. Now we just need to see the logo. That's 3 that have now either kept or brought back the ECHL name with the San Diego Gulls, Ontario Reign and now Bakersfield Condors. And we know Stockton is going to be Flame related/derived sadly sending the Thunder name away. Only San Jose remains a complete wildcard as we only know what it won't be, which is Sharks. Everything else is potentially on the table and there is no ECHL or AHL team in San Jose history to potentially draw from so it could end up being anything.

Well they could name them the Seals after the old NHL team that was based in the Bay Area. That would be a wise choice for the Sharks to do. It brings back an old name to the fray and the seal is an aquatic animal so it goes perfect with the marine animal theme.

Seals would definitely be my first choice for the Sharks team, but we'll see. They could also choose to revive one of the other minor league names from over the years like Spiders or Bulls... though I doubt it. Or they could go completely new which would also be ok since the team isn't playing in SF or Oakland which was the Seals old stomping grounds.

Seals is my hope. Oakland and SF are two potential landing spots in the not too distant future, so it would fit oh-so-perfectly. However, if they end up in the Sacramento region, maybe a new identity is on the way. Maybe they are just the SJ Sharks part II during their SAP stopover.

San Francisco is a minor league hockey guillotine.

So far it has been... but to be fair it's been a guillotine at the Cow Palace. Which in and of itself is a large part of that guillotine. It's a dump that outlived its usefulness 30 years ago and it's in a terrible neighborhood on top of that.

I think you'll see the San Jose team end up in Sacramento sooner than later, probably when new NBA arena is built (even though the sight lines in places won't be great for hockey, think Barclay's Center for the Islanders). ARCO/Power Balance Pavilion/Sleep Train Arena or whatever it goes by these days doesn't have a functioning ice floor so when things like Disney on Ice come in they have to put in a temporary setup, which makes hosting a hockey team nearly impossible along with the Kings. The Sharks don't want a team in SF/Oakland as it's too close and poaches some of their fans entertainment money, as was the case with the SF Bulls. They ideally wanted the team further north to not be directly competing in some people's eyes. Id argue us here see the difference between the NHL and ECHL product, but to the casual fan, that doesn't always matter.

SEAsig.png

It's not. It's just Calgary's thing. A terrible thing, but still a thing.

See the flags are important because they symbolize that Calgary is Alberta's team. Despite them being newer than the Oilers, having fewer Stanley Cups than them, and having gone longer since playing for the Stanley Cup.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ruined by the Californian and American flag shoulder patches. No, I'm not kidding.

fZLr5aI.png

The American flags are wrong too. They're supposed to be backwards when on the right side so that the stars are always in front. Although to be fair, I've always thought that was a silly "rule" and I have no problem with them breaking it.

The flags could also very easily be swapped. As Sodboy said, they just got some Gamewear jerseys and glued on logos for this presentation. Those aren't (or at least, God I hope so) the final final jerseys. Plus CalGary has the nation/provincial flags flipped correctly on theirs. Canada on the left, Alberta on the right.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived