The new AHL Pacific Pod Name Ideas

CLAW

It's not. It's just Calgary's thing. A terrible thing, but still a thing.

See the flags are important because they symbolize that Calgary is Alberta's team. Despite them being newer than the Oilers, having fewer Stanley Cups than them, and having gone longer since playing for the Stanley Cup.
And gone longer since winning the Cup, for that matter.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That just leaves San Jose. Still hoping they go Seals but not holding my breath as apparently there are copyright issues involved with that one.

And while not Pacific per se it is part of the western move, can we assume Winnipeg's AHL team next year will be a return of the Manitoba Moose?

The Jets need to hang on and make the playoffs now. It's going to look bad to piss away a playoff spot down the stretch and then hit everyone up for more money.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That heat logo is just awful. But what did we come to expect?

Seriously, why not just keep the Thunder name, rather than move it elsewhere and have to rename two teams?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Well, obviously they had to rename the AHL team to something fire-related. Otherwise, how would we ever know they're affiliated with the Flames?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That heat logo is just awful. But what did we come to expect?

Seriously, why not just keep the Thunder name, rather than move it elsewhere and have to rename two teams?

They didn't end up doing anything but flip flopping names since the AHL Flames were the Heat last year. Granted it would have been nice to see a little more creativity from the Flames, but this is really what we've all come to expect from their organization.

That just leaves San Jose. Still hoping they go Seals but not holding my breath as apparently there are copyright issues involved with that one.

And while not Pacific per se it is part of the western move, can we assume Winnipeg's AHL team next year will be a return of the Manitoba Moose?

Well, it won't be the Icecaps for sure. That name is staying in St. Johns.

"The agreement between the IceCaps and the Montreal Canadiens is for two seasons. The name of the St. John’s AHL team will remain the IceCaps and new uniforms will be released in the coming months."

I would like to see the the Moose return. I would also like to see the Seals as well.

"The agreement between the IceCaps and the Montreal Canadiens is for two seasons. The name of the St. John’s AHL team will remain the IceCaps and new uniforms will be released in the coming months."

I would like to see the the Moose return. I would also like to see the Seals as well.

Oh lawdy, that'd be great. For one, tickets will be cheaper and we might see that colour scheme again.

I wouldn't be surprised (but would be really sad) if they just dress them in the Jets uniform. Saves them time and money, and Winnipeg Moose sounds like a temporary thing anyway.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Oh lawdy, that'd be great. For one, tickets will be cheaper and we might see that colour scheme again.

I wouldn't be surprised (but would be really sad) if they just dress them in the Jets uniform. Saves them time and money, and Winnipeg Moose sounds like a temporary thing anyway.

See your reaction about cheaper tickets is exactly why I don't understand why the Jets and Sharks are going this route. They're just going to undermine their own NHL product eliminating folks who were on the fence about buying tickets to them but now have a cheaper out.

This has been covered though, at least in Winnipeg's case:

There are no direct flights from St John's to Winnipeg, and no one knows what's happening with the Thunder Bay project. The return of the MooseCaps is a stopgap until a more permanent solution is found.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Ironically, the best affiliation for Winnipeg in terms of logistics would have been good old Rosemont: two-hour nonstop flights from right next door to the arena. But that would have meant giving up ownership of the Moose, because the Moose couldn't well displace the Wolves franchise.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Calgary and Edmonton both have the NHL team owning a junior WHL team in the same city, which I can see as a good marketing strategy (in cities that sell out their NHL games) to provide a cheaper, family-friendly entry into attending hockey games. It also provides some developmental/drafting advantage in having a direct connection to junior games. I can see Winnipeg following suit, as described above.

Basing a farm team in the same city as the NHL parent has been done in some large markets, but not usually successfully, in the long term (e.g. Philadelphia, Toronto, Montreal, New York...) I would be somewhat surprised if Winnipeg/Manitoba, with just around a million people, could sufficiently support both an AHL and an NHL team.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

This has been covered though, at least in Winnipeg's case:

There are no direct flights from St John's to Winnipeg, and no one knows what's happening with the Thunder Bay project. The return of the MooseCaps is a stopgap until a more permanent solution is found.

I just find it unlikely that they couldn't find a better stop gap for either San Jose or Winnipeg. Particularly San Jose...

Ruined by the Californian and American flag shoulder patches. No, I'm not kidding. fZLr5aI.png

The American flags are wrong too. They're supposed to be backwards when on the right side so that the stars are always in front. Although to be fair, I've always thought that was a silly "rule" and I have no problem with them breaking it.

The flags could also very easily be swapped. As Sodboy said, they just got some Gamewear jerseys and glued on logos for this presentation. Those aren't (or at least, God I hope so) the final final jerseys. Plus CalGary has the nation/provincial flags flipped correctly on theirs. Canada on the left, Alberta on the right.

It is just the sloppy mock up as the Adirondack Flames have it correct. It's common etiquette among asymmetrical flags to always be depicted on a pole so I don't mind it.

5439e14b1dc95.hires.jpg

The Heat name sucks personally, but it could have been worse: Remember Calgary's farm team in Omaha, the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights? Oh lord, that was a bad name(and stupider logo to boot)

As far as the flag on the arm, their not the only one: The St. John's IceCaps have the Newfoundland provincial flag, but only on the alternate jersey.

The Heat name sucks personally, but it could have been worse: Remember Calgary's farm team in Omaha, the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights? Oh lord, that was a bad name(and stupider logo to boot)

As far as the flag on the arm, their not the only one: The St. John's IceCaps have the Newfoundland provincial flag, but only on the alternate jersey.

I agree that "Ak-Sar-Ben" was stupid, but I think the logo was pretty good:

4578.gif

Archived