2016 World Cup of Hockey

spartacat_12

With the NHL announcing the return of the World Cup of Hockey in September, 2016, I thought it'd be good to have a thread to discuss the uniforms that will be worn during the tournament. The biggest news so far, as reported by TSN, is that the NHL will be using the World Cup to test out uniform ads. It hasn't been confirmed yet but this is obviously terrible news to anyone on these boards. This development, combined with the changes to the format (the tournament will feature the six 'traditional' hockey powers, along with two non-national teams, one featuring the best of the rest of Europe, and one comprised of North American players 23 and under) have shown that the NHL is viewing this as a major cash grab, instead of a true best on best international tournament.

On the subject of the new format, what could the uniforms of the two non-national teams look like? The rest of Europe team could take inspiration from the European Union flag, but I have no clue what the young guns will end up wearing.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say a mix of the USA star and maple leaf, similar to what was worn for the NHL All Star Game in 2000 would be a good start point. Seeing as they put it in September instead of June or July I'm not surprised they pretty much flipped the bird to the lower ranked European teams and Asia.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 year later...

The NHL Twitter account has shown teasers for Sweden and Canada's jerseys. One of the teasers shows the Adidas 3 stripes going down what looks to be the side of the jersey. Full unveiling of the jerseys will come March 2nd along with roster announcements.

Cb69nadUAAAAxrX.jpg

iGLssSH.png

Canada looks like it'll be based off of the Summit Series jerseys, (but, you know, adidas-fied) and it's good to see that Sweden will still have the three crown design. 

NHL (@NHL) _ Twitter.html

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Also, the NHL and NHLPA have had no luck in finding an advertiser willing to pay their ridiculous $8 million asking price for jersey ads, so it's probably not going to happen at this point. Advertisers are aware of the potential fan backlash, and they're also rightfully skeptical that this is just a Canadian tournament/NHL marketing ploy, with little international interest or buzz.

I figured it was going to happen, but I'm not looking forward to the 3 stripes down the sides of the jersey.  Likely means either no hem stripes or it's gonna to look really bad like the Nashville Predators.

I'm glad advertisers realize the potential of a backlash if they put their logos on the jerseys, even though it's actually a pretty normal thing in international hockey.  Hopefully, the NHL realizes that as well and never ever puts them on their jerseys.

If they're going to have the three stripes, I'd rather have them down the sides of the jersey than down the sleeves. It's the lesser of two evils and it's a definite step forward that MLS has taken.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

58 minutes ago, JosiahWVU said:

When did Canada switch to adidas?

They didn't. This is an NHL sanctioned tournament, not an official international one. Nike still holds the rights to IIHF international competitions and the Olympics. The NHL signed with Adidas just to make the World Cup jerseys (and rumour has it they'll most likely be taking over for Reebok with the NHL gear as well once that comes up for renewal  - which isn't really too much of change, since Reebok is an Adidas subsidiary). 

Trois bandes. Merde.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 30/01/2015 at 8:06 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Seeing as they put it in September instead of June or July I'm not surprised they pretty much flipped the bird to the lower ranked European teams and Asia.

To their credit, they will be inviting to the next tournament lower ranked international sides who qualify in advance.  They said this one was organized too late.  That's fine, the 2 scab teams actually fascinate me the most.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

35 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

To their credit, they will be inviting to the next tournament lower ranked international sides who qualify in advance.  They said this one was organized too late.  That's fine, the 2 scab teams actually fascinate me the most.

That makes zero sense. In past World Cups they simply took the top 8 teams based on their world rankings a year before the tournament. They had just as much time to adhere to that practice here and have Switzerland and Slovakia play instead of the gimmicky B.S. teams they've created. It's quite obvious that their goal was to flaunt more NHL players as opposed to having a legitimate international competition. These new jerseys are what fascinate me the most (I particularly want to see what ridiculousness they've come up with for the World team), after that, I couldn't care less for this pointless exhibition tournament (not that I won't watch a game here or there).

They're also trying to maximize NHL player participation because this is a NHL/NHLPA moneygrab event, so they want to distribute the payments among NHL players, if they can, rather than European scrubs.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

16 hours ago, vman said:

The NHL signed with Adidas just to make the World Cup jerseys (and rumour has it they'll most likely be taking over for Reebok with the NHL gear as well once that comes up for renewal  - which isn't really too much of change, since Reebok is an Adidas subsidiary). 

Not rumored, Adidas will be taking over the NHL's jerseys starting the 2017-18 season. (source)

I for one am really excited to see the designs for the World Cup. So far the teasers look like Adidas will be going the Nike route when they redesigned all jerseys for the 2010 Winter Olympics and I'm okay with that. It's a one-off event that we'll get to watch for a few weeks, it's not the end of the world.

Archived