2016 World Cup of Hockey

spartacat_12

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Needschat said:

And I'm surprised no one at adidas caught it.  I'm surprised they've allowed it to go forward.  

You're not serious are you? You have to be a bit warped in the head to even think that. It's not at all an obvious connection most rational people would make. And can people please stop calling it orange? - It's RED.

1 minute ago, vman said:

You're not serious are you? You have to be a bit warped in the head to even think that. It's not at all an obvious connection most rational people would make. And can people please stop calling it orange? - It's RED.

It's a shade of orange.

No, not warped, just someone that has seen the Aryan logo too much growing up.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

5 minutes ago, Needschat said:

It's a shade of orange.

No, not warped, just someone that has seen the Aryan logo too much growing up.  

I really think you're stretching. Is there a resemblance? Yeah, if you squint. 

If that's off-putting? Ok. Fair enough. I'm certainly not going to hold that against you, or your opinion of the U-23 NA mark.

What I find questionable is your assertion that this "looks bad" for the league. That and the idea that it might have been deliberate. 

It doesn't look bad because most people just won't make the connection.

And it certainly wasn't deliberate. Neither the NHL or Adidas are engaged in any sort of plot to subtly promote the Aryan Nation. 

Yeah, if you're trying to find an example of the NHL establishment championing white supremacy, just watch any segment on Sportsnet about PK Subban.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

First, the maple/pot leaf thing. Now, this...

Edit: Just some preemptive advice, we probably don't want to post pictures of white supremacist logos, even just for benevolent comparison purposes, for the same reason we don't post pictures of near-nekkid women anymore.

4 hours ago, ieatstaples said:

I get you're really not a big fan of these jerseys but the negative outcry over the World Cup jerseys having ads would have been astounding. People are so eager to hate Adidas (or just any type of change in general) so adding sponsored jersey ads would have been adding to the flames.

How are people seriously focusing their anger over a captain-patch-sized ad on the chest over LITERALLY THE FUTURE OF HOCKEY DESIGN. Get this people, Adidas takes over NHL jerseys in 2017, expect the exact same lazy, uncreative, bland, unimaginative, cookie-cutter, amateur, boring, eye-soar-inducing jerseys they just released yesterday. This seriously frustrates me. People are focusing more on three stripes you'll barely be able to see rather than the trash heap of a jersey in plain eye sight.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

2 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

How are people seriously focusing their anger over a captain-patch-sized ad on the chest over LITERALLY THE FUTURE OF HOCKEY DESIGN. Get this people, Adidas takes over NHL jerseys in 2017, expect the exact same lazy, uncreative, bland, unimaginative, cookie-cutter, amateur, boring, eye-soar-inducing jerseys they just released yesterday. This seriously frustrates me. People are focusing more on three stripes you'll barely be able to see rather than the trash heap of a jersey in plain eye sight.

Regardless of what Adidas pitches as THE FUTURE, 90% of the teams are going to look largely the same. If they do sucker a team into a crazy design, that team will probably change again in five-ish years.  Once the jersey ad barrier is broken, there's no going back and maybe one or two teams will be immune.

2 hours ago, Solaris said:

adidas has been in the hockey game for quite a while now, considering how many colleges they make jerseys for. usa's shield logo they use now (for the dev program) is perfectly fine. also, adidas's jersey trademark is the three stripes. if you dont like it, dont buy the jerseys.

all that aside, the collars are really bothering me.

Sure we won't buy it, but we have to look at it while we watch them play. 

Also, SAME. I really hate the collars on these new jerseys being put out by the NHL. Teams like all of the WCofH teams, the Brooklyn Net...err...Islanders, and the Sabres turd burger... I wish they would make just normals collars that go all the way around. I don't get the point of a collar that is half around, and then have piping... Why do they even make them like this? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

25 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

People were in the same uproar when Reebok took over too. Compare what they released back in 2007 to today. Sure not all teams have jumped at the opportunity to fix what happened to them since 2007, but look at Philadelphia, Dallas, NYI, St. Louis, Toronto. Reebok :censored:ed up, and the fans through their voice and their wallets helped reshaped teams back to a respectable look. The same will happen when Adidas will take over. We don't know what to expect in 2017. Simple tweaks to a few teams? Added three-stripes to every team? Complete league-wide overhauls? We have no idea and it's ridiculous to get up in arms over jerseys for a seemingly meaningless event. It's like condemning the entire Edge program because of what they've done with the All Star Game. But if Adidas does come out atrocious jerseys like Reebok did, we can expect the same reformation to traditional hockey designs that we saw throughout the Edge program.

17 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Regardless of what Adidas pitches as THE FUTURE, 90% of the teams are going to look largely the same. If they do sucker a team into a crazy design, that team will probably change again in five-ish years.  Once the jersey ad barrier is broken, there's no going back and maybe one or two teams will be immune.

You can't be serious. Did 90% of the teams look largely the same when Reebok took over? The worst of designs are also still being used to this day so don't say they'll be gone in 5-ish years. ADS WILL MOST LIKELY NEVER HAPPEN yet you are all so caught up in them you become completely ok with the worst designs I've laid my eyes upon. There aren't even ads on the jerseys and you guys are already crying about them.

7 minutes ago, ieatstaples said:

People were in the same uproar when Reebok took over too. Compare what they released back in 2007 to today. Sure not all teams have jumped at the opportunity to fix what happened to them since 2007, but look at Philadelphia, Dallas, NYI, St. Louis, Toronto. Reebok :censored:ed up, and the fans through their voice and their wallets helped reshaped teams back to a respectable look. The same will happen when Adidas will take over. We don't know what to expect in 2017. Simple tweaks to a few teams? Added three-stripes to every team? Complete league-wide overhauls? We have no idea and it's ridiculous to get up in arms over jerseys for a seemingly meaningless event. It's like condemning the entire Edge program because of what they've done with the All Star Game. 

Except EDGE system doesn't just run the All-Star Game, they run the ENTIRE LEAGUE. People are still having the exact same uproar about Reebok TO THIS DAY. 

Just now, TRoyConcepts said:

You can't be serious. Did 90% of the teams look largely the same when Reebok took over? 

First off, yes. The Edge changeover didn't coincide with the Reebok takeover. The sweaters were branded with Reebok logos a few years prior. 

Secondly? Most of the mistakes of the Edge changeover have been undone. 

Finally, Adidas has owned Reebok for years. It's the same team working on NHL logos and sweaters. It's just that the branding is being switched from Reebok to Adidas. Most, if not all, of the changes we're going to see under the Adidas brand would have happened under the Reebok brand anyway.

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

First off, yes. The Edge changeover didn't coincide with the Reebok takeover. The sweaters were branded with Reebok logos a few years prior. 

Secondly? Most of the mistakes of the Edge changeover have been undone. 

Finally, Adidas has owned Reebok for years. It's the same team working on NHL logos and sweaters. It's just that the branding is being switched from Reebok to Adidas. Most, if not all, of the changes we're going to see under the Adidas brand would have happened under the Reebok brand anyway.

Like the 3 stripes everyone is complaining about? I'm sure Reebok would have implemented those.

So what you're saying is that Adidas making s*** jerseys is completely fine because in 5-10 years they will be gone. And you call yourself a jersey enthusiast. Please.

26 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

And you call yourself a jersey enthusiast. Please.

Ever hear of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy?

Doesn't matter really. At the end of the day you'll be removed from a conversation if you can't take part in it without insulting those who you disagree with.

27 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Like the 3 stripes everyone is complaining about? I'm sure Reebok would have implemented those.

Adidas has had the NBA contract for years. They never once forced the three stripes on a NBA team. We're seeing the three stripes here precisely because these aren't NHL sweaters. They're special event uniforms. 

29 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

So what you're saying is that Adidas making s*** jerseys is completely fine because in 5-10 years they will be gone.

No.

What I'm saying is that Reebok and Adidas exist under the same corporate umbrella. The NHL team is the NHL team. You're not going to see this massive Edge-scale redesign. Sure, the All-Star Game sweaters will probably feature the Adidas stripes. And so will the practice sweaters. That's about it though.

48 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

So what you're saying is that Adidas making s*** jerseys is completely fine because in 5-10 years they will be gone. And you call yourself a jersey enthusiast. Please.

No, it's because Adidas's impact will be limited.  The Red Wings will still look like the Red Wings, the Leafs will still look like the Leafs, and the Rangers will still look like the Rangers.  Also, the larger trend right now is for more classic designs, not the wild and crazy stuff.  Look at the Stars, the Lightning, and rumors about the Panthers.  The Penguins appear to be going away from khaki and their Edge template.  The league looks pretty good right now.  Even if you don't like "O-6 Dress-up", I think most would agree it's not as odious as the wackier Edge-era stuff.

1 hour ago, TRoyConcepts said:

in the end everyone is going to find something to complaign about. amd its quite obvious these games are a test for several things:

1. test out the possibility of nhl running their own games every four years.

2. test out certain ideas, such as a different collar, most likely different jersey fit, and the three stripes.

whether or n you like it, adidas isn't a group of ignorant people who don't take notes. I mean, these jerseys are for a phony Olympics and many of them are the same exact things we've had before, just adidas made. the side stripes are something new adidas is trying to do, and its already on some of the euro 2016 jerseys. the college jerseys adidas makes have actually decent collars, and not poorly designed. don't have a meltdown over a jersey set that most likely will have slim to none impact on the NHL jerseys.

1 hour ago, TRoyConcepts said:

You can't be serious. Did 90% of the teams look largely the same when Reebok took over? The worst of designs are also still being used to this day so don't say they'll be gone in 5-ish years. ADS WILL MOST LIKELY NEVER HAPPEN yet you are all so caught up in them you become completely ok with the worst designs I've laid my eyes upon. There aren't even ads on the jerseys and you guys are already crying about them.

ads are happening for certain. do you know how many hockey teams already have ads? I mean just look at the KHL and the u20/u18 teams, many are sponsored. these are no where near the worst designs and I think you know that.

5 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

No, it's because Adidas's impact will be limited.  The Red Wings will still look like the Red Wings, the Leafs will still look like the Leafs, and the Rangers will still look like the Rangers.  Also, the larger trend right now is for more classic designs, not the wild and crazy stuff.  Look at the Stars, the Lightning, and rumors about the Panthers.  The Penguins appear to be going away from khaki and their Edge template.  The league looks pretty good right now.  Even if you don't like "O-6 Dress-up", I think most would agree it's not as odious as the wackier Edge-era stuff.

pretty much this is right. classic styles are all the rage. caps, wings, rangers, pens, buffalo, leafs, oilers, chicago, boston, canadians, flyers, devils, islanders, and the blues all have classic looks, or are changing in the future to a classic look.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Doesn't matter really. At the end of the day you'll be removed from a conversation if you can't take part in it without insulting those who you disagree with.

Wow, you're a bossy little one, aren't you. I have a feeling you're a married woman. Has to be the only explanation.

Archived