2016 World Cup of Hockey

spartacat_12

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On March 3, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Fresno St. Alum said:

I heard them mention it at the beginning of the world cup show. They also said they're going to model 9 jerseys. Who's 9?

Apologies. I wasn't aware of that.

9 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Canada - Plain. Way too much negative space. Needs more black. No hem anything. 6/10

Czech Republic - My god. Would atrocity be a suitable word for these? Stop trying to mimic the flag, it ever works. As shown with these jerseys. The logo isn't even good. 3/10

Europe - When has this ever worked? The colors aren't different enough to make enough contrast and what is the point of the navy on the sleeve? "Unifying nations like we unify two colors". bs 0/10

USA - The logo is nothing special and when has a single red stripe on a navy jersey ever looked good? Red and blue should never be touching on a jersey as long as it doesn't have an accent. I really don't mind the away at all. Home 3/10 Away 8/10

Finland - Don't have any problems here either, but it's the same as US but with a chest stripe. 8/10

U23 - Needs more orange/red. This pattern they have going on doesn't belong on a hockey jersey. Then again it has basically the only traditional striping. The away is god awful though. Home 7/10 Away 5/10

Russia - Better looking Minny rip-offs. Yoke should be red on the away. Text on the logo should be blue on the away as well. 7.5/10

Sweden - I love the detail on the logo, but the bare nakedness on this jersey is it's downfall. Doesn't help that the yellow clash takes away the hem outline. 6.5/10

Good post TRoy. 

I'm not saying that I agree with all your points or not, but you've explained your opinions pretty well here.

...And it's good to get the various opinions out there.

Adidas will be observing public response to the concepts....what's popular and what's not.

I would imagine any new ideas that "work" may end up on a future NHL sweater.

I think, so far, it's a thumbs-up to the return of a straight-hemmed template.

I don't think that the 3 side stripes are going over too well.

I wouldn't mind 3 stripes at the back of the collar with the Adidas logo underneath...a little more subtle.

Design seems to be like a band-wagon thing...swinging like a pendulum..

Right now the trend seems to be, to play it safe with super-simplicity and traditional styling. (Hurricanes-Lighting)

After a while, that will get stale and we'll start seeing some more "out-there" efforts...

And the pattern will start all over again.

10 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I'm just gonna stop talking to you after this because you seem to take my venting as if I'm talking directly to you.

Canada - Plain. Way too much negative space. Needs more black. No hem anything. 6/10

Czech Republic - My god. Would atrocity be a suitable word for these? Stop trying to mimic the flag, it ever works. As shown with these jerseys. The logo isn't even good. 3/10

Europe - When has this ever worked? The colors aren't different enough to make enough contrast and what is the point of the navy on the sleeve? "Unifying nations like we unify two colors". bs 0/10

USA - The logo is nothing special and when has a single red stripe on a navy jersey ever looked good? Red and blue should never be touching on a jersey as long as it doesn't have an accent. I really don't mind the away at all. Home 3/10 Away 8/10

Finland - Don't have any problems here either, but it's the same as US but with a chest stripe. 8/10

U23 - Needs more orange/red. This pattern they have going on doesn't belong on a hockey jersey. Then again it has basically the only traditional striping. The away is god awful though. Home 7/10 Away 5/10

Russia - Better looking Minny rip-offs. Yoke should be red on the away. Text on the logo should be blue on the away as well. 7.5/10

Sweden - I love the detail on the logo, but the bare nakedness on this jersey is it's downfall. Doesn't help that the yellow clash takes away the hem outline. 6.5/10

still don't understand the thought behind this, when Russia has had the basic same design for the last several years. If you look at U20, U18, or even World Championships (since the Olympics) you can see Russia has had that same set of jerseys before Minny did. anyway, I can agree with your opinion on Europe's jersey, its godawful. Czech will probably look alright I think. They don't really have an identity like FInland or Sweden, or even Russia, so its a bit difficult to come up with something. Compared to past Czech jerseys, they look good. Not saying much, though. Canada is alright, a bit bland. Would have prefered black shoulders. 

all this aside, I still don't understand why everyone hates the nike jerseys so much. they're alot better (material wise) than reebok or CCM. it was a solid look for world juniors for alot of the teams.

7 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Good post TRoy. 

I'm not saying that I agree with all your points or not, but you've explained your opinions pretty well here.

...And it's good to get the various opinions out there.

Adidas will be observing public response to the concepts....what's popular and what's not.

I would imagine any new ideas that "work" may end up on a future NHL sweater.

I think, so far, it's a thumbs-up to the return of a straight-hemmed template.

I don't think that the 3 side stripes are going over too well.

I wouldn't mind 3 stripes at the back of the collar with the Adidas logo underneath...a little more subtle.

Design seems to be like a band-wagon thing...swinging like a pendulum..

Right now the trend seems to be, to play it safe with super-simplicity and traditional styling. (Hurricanes-Lighting)

After a while, that will get stale and we'll start seeing some more "out-there" efforts...

And the pattern will start all over again.

Thanks Sparky, I'm just glad someone is at least understanding what I'm trying to say. I just can't stand going through this again.

6 hours ago, Solaris said:

still don't understand the thought behind this, when Russia has had the basic same design for the last several years. If you look at U20, U18, or even World Championships (since the Olympics) you can see Russia has had that same set of jerseys before Minny did. anyway, I can agree with your opinion on Europe's jersey, its godawful. Czech will probably look alright I think. They don't really have an identity like FInland or Sweden, or even Russia, so its a bit difficult to come up with something. Compared to past Czech jerseys, they look good. Not saying much, though. Canada is alright, a bit bland. Would have prefered black shoulders. 

all this aside, I still don't understand why everyone hates the nike jerseys so much. they're alot better (material wise) than reebok or CCM. it was a solid look for world juniors for alot of the teams.

I'm almost tempted to not respond to you but I feel like I should point out your wrongness.

Wild_SS_Jersey.jpg Minnesota 2016 Stadium Seriesrussia.0.png2016 World Cup

New-Russia-Hockey-Jersey-Red-2.jpg 2014 Olympics

Team-Russia-IIHF-Swift-Replica-Red-Hocke 2010 Olympics

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

In other news, the Czech jerseys may have to be changed due to the small, single lion shield now being restricted in its use to just coins and stamps. According to a Czech newspaper, their hockey federation says the NHL was secretive about the design of the jerseys and did not share the finished result prior to the unveiling for approval.

2 hours ago, vman said:

In other news, the Czech jerseys may have to be changed due to the small, single lion shield now being restricted in its use to just coins and stamps. According to a Czech newspaper, their hockey federation says the NHL was secretive about the design of the jerseys and did not share the finished result prior to the unveiling.

OITGDNHL? Being secretive and using a country's symbol they may not have been allowed to.

IbjBaeE.png

On 3/3/2016 at 6:34 PM, Fresno St. Alum said:

At least he doesn't post in yellow. I'm partial to green and yellow

Oh, my poor, poor eyes. As for the World Cup jerseys, overall, I am not a fan and I sure as hell hope and pray that the Adidas three-stripe side panels stay the hell away from the NHL. I'm glad to hear they aren't planning another Reebokalypse. The NHL already has enough side panel problems going on right now. So far, I'm also not liking the collars at all. They appear to be an altered version of those new overlapping collars that the Islanders' new third, and this year's Stadium Series jerseys used that I did not care for. (Better chcarlson?) 

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Chewie said "RAHHHARHARHHH and their crest doesn't suit the jerseys because they have no red or gold. It's too bad the crest wasn't recolored in just blue and white. RAHHHARAHARHHHH" 

Finland's National coat of Arms is that logo, and the flag is the powder blue cross. 

2000px-Coat_of_arms_of_Finland.svg.png

2000px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png

While I like the Red crest on the jerseys, I don't like the badge along with the SUOMI on the stripe. If it needs to be there, it should be under the national crest. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

13 hours ago, vman said:

In other news, the Czech jerseys may have to be changed due to the small, single lion shield now being restricted in its use to just coins and stamps. According to a Czech newspaper, their hockey federation says the NHL was secretive about the design of the jerseys and did not share the finished result prior to the unveiling for approval.

That's intresting If you look at Czech Football (soccer) team which use single Lion crest.

4r2eer.png

8 hours ago, pepis21 said:

That's intresting If you look at Czech Football (soccer) team which use single Lion crest.

They use a crest featuring the single lion, but it's not the national crest, it has its own unique shape and features (as does their soccer federation logo).

On 3/3/2016 at 4:05 PM, Solaris said:

adidas has been in the hockey game for quite a while now, considering how many colleges they make jerseys for. usa's shield logo they use now (for the dev program) is perfectly fine. also, adidas's jersey trademark is the three stripes. if you dont like it, dont buy the jerseys.

all that aside, the collars are really bothering me.

Fantastic take. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Nice. Unfortunately, there's a lot more than don't like it, don't buy it in this particular field.

Listen, doing college hockey and doing national teams/the NHL is a different story, you can't compare exposure. They've also technically been doing the NHL under the Reebok brand since 2006/2007, but regardless - this was the Adidas brand foray into the major market, and they failed in their marketing sense. That's all I was saying, and I don't believe I was wrong in that sense. I wasn't aware the three stripes was an Adidas jersey trademark..... thanks for letting me know. Like I said, I don't mind them where they were placed, I simply said it could've been worse. 

34 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but does anyone else get a Houston Oiler vibe from the North American jersey?

I get more of a Titans feel from Team EuroZone. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 5 months later...

Since the World Cup is around the corner and this stuff is showing up on the NHL Shop and I don't think we ever got a really good look at the names/numbers on the jerseys, here's the named WC jerseys. (Check out that Team Europe nameplate/shiny font... Still no white jersey for them. There were also no player jerseys for Finland/Czech availabile, and strangely only one women's cut jersey for them too. Also no "road" jersey available on the shop for Young Gunz, Russia, Sweden)

Europe.jpgYoungGunz.jpgBlueUSA.jpgWhiteUSA.jpgRedCanada.jpgWhiteCanada.jpgRedRussia.jpgYellowSweden.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived